Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Bought a 2019 Mac Pro 4 months ago… should I sell and get an i9 iMac?

• Bought a 2019 Mac Pro 4 months ago… should I sell and get an i9 iMac?

• Bryan Roberts

September 13, 2020 at 12:50 am

Just what it says. I bought a 2019 Mac Pro 16 core 4 months ago with W5700X video card, 2 years of Apple Care, and upgraded the memory to 128GB aftermarket. I spent just over $10k but hey, it’ll last probably as long as my last 2009 Mac Pro which was about 10 years. It is beastly. It is silent. I love it. Then Apple announced the switch to ARM right as I was out of my return window and THEN released the i9 iMac that is showing in benchmarks that it’s very similar in performance and actually faster in certain instances than my Mac Pro:

Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

I cut in Premiere for 95% of my work and have two 24 inch 1080p dells (they work great for what I need, but my point is I don’t have some huge sum of cash invested in high end monitors I’d be foregoing using). Mac Pro gives me expandability like Big Navi from AMD coming out soon… but if Apple is going to obsolete me in 3 or so years anyways, what good is that expandability if the new new Mac Pro with ARM ends up being a nice leap ahead in processing power? Would you sell the Mac Pro (hopefully I can get around $8k for it) buy a new highly spec’ed iMac i9 with 5700 XT video card and go aftermarket for 128GB memory for roughly $4k? That would give me $4k left over for any other number of life expenses and sort of sit out without a huge investment while the dust settles on the transition to ARM. Thoughts?

• Bryan Roberts

September 13, 2020 at 3:00 am

I meant to say 3 years of apple care and the Mac Pro was $11.5k new so maybe can get between 8-9k… maybe.

• Eric Santiago

September 14, 2020 at 1:01 pm

Will it really be obsolete in 3 years?

Lets talk in 3 years 🙂

• Tim Wilson

September 14, 2020 at 1:29 pm

@ericsantiago2 wrote

Will it really be obsolete in 3 years?
    Lets talk in 3 years Slight Smile

I’m not sure that there’s such a thing as obsolete anymore. There are plenty of pre-trashcan Mac Pros still running, still making people money. Heck, Bryan’s own previous box ran for 10 years, right?

Yeah, there comes a time when you can’t upgrade this or that component, or maybe it gets stuck with an older OS or version of FCPX — but are those really happening inside three year windows anymore?

@bryanroberts wrote

while the dust settles on the transition to ARM

Wellll, there may be a new monkey thrown into the wrench. Announced Sunday: NVIDIA is in talks to acquire ARM for $40 billion! Details here. This is going to come under acres of scrutiny on both sides of the Atlantic. I have no doubt that both NVIDIA and ARM want the deal to go through smooth as silk, and surely part of the value of ARM to NVIDIA is the value of ARM’s pending contracts. But I can’t imagine that this will have ZERO effect on the transition. Although hey, why not, right? Maybe nobody but me and The Verge (home of the link above) will care.

If anything, this says don’t think of ARM as factoring in one way or the other. There’s certainly nothing wrong with another $4K in your pocket, but not putting yourself through any more annoyances to set up a new system any more often than you absolutely have to is worth something too, right?

• Bryan Roberts

September 14, 2020 at 2:23 pm

All good points. The more I read, I worry about cooling if I needed to have something rendering or processing overnight etc. My 10 year old Mac pro worked for so long because I upgraded the processor to a 3.46 ghz 12 core and I didn’t hit a wall with apple “obsoleting” my tower and not allowing me on the latest OS for 9! years. I have a feeling devs who need to write code for arm version of macos and x86 will be quicker to only carry their arm version than that :/

I saw the nvidia ARM news. It is very interesting especially considering apple’s hostile anticompetitive behavior towards nvidia the past 5+ years. Also, can Apple really make graphics cards to compete with RTX 3080 and beyond? Sure maybe they’ll be superior at optimization on processors but video cards?

• Eric Santiago

September 14, 2020 at 5:34 pm

I can truly say that where I am, we def are using the slew of cheese graters and trash cans to its fullest. A few have been converted to Windows 7 for other reasons and now with WFH, the older tubes are offsite.

I only got cheeky with the idea of replacing the 2019 with an ARMs version since I just got my 2019 and there is no way Im trading that up/down for anything.

Its got so many slots I can fill it up till the <ahem> Cows come home 😉

• Jonathan Ramsey

September 14, 2020 at 7:45 pm

I can say, from where I have been, I would probably go with selling what you have and use an iMac. I’ve built many Mac systems and unless you are using a boat load of specific AE effects, the added prowess of a MacPro doesn’t usually add up. There are too many variables to make a blanket policy on this… but I’ve built them both ways and maybe 8 times out of 10, the iMac is just as good (hard to tell the difference) and sometimes better. No, it cannot be upgraded easily (some parts can be, though). But it’ll get you 5 years. I don’t know about the new one’s cooling… but previous iterations that has never been an issue. Clearly, the Pros will cool better. If you round it to you get 5 years for $4K and double that so in 10 years you spent $8k and half way through you got a whole new machine, not just an old machine upgraded (which is the $8-10K plus the upgrade parts)… it just makes more financial sense in many cases.

• Bryan Roberts

September 15, 2020 at 2:45 am

Im really thinking about 2020 imac maxed out for $4k. Apple silicon x factor has me worried if there’s a big speed bump, my 2019 Mac pro will see used market value drop steeply.

• Jonathan Ramsey

September 15, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Yup, I can appreciate that. It’ll be interesting to hear what they say today… Obsolescence is a bugger when it comes to getting resale value. No matter what you do, it’s a Mac. It’ll have value.

• Bryan Roberts

September 16, 2020 at 2:42 am

Hey Jonathan – how has reliability been in your mileage with non pro imacs? That’s the last thing holding me back is the fear of having it crap out early if I use it daily for editing because of heat (which I will, I’m usually booked 90% of the year). I’ve been incredibly lucky with my non-iphone apple hardware over the years, since my first Mac mini in 2005, laptops, Mac pros, old school Apple TV, another Mac mini now for a server… never had a single hardware issue (save for 2 usb2 ports going out on my old Mac pro at about year 5) but also never owned an imac 🙂 .

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy