Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Adobe Premiere Pro Bought a 2019 Mac Pro 4 months ago… should I sell and get an i9 iMac?

  • Bought a 2019 Mac Pro 4 months ago… should I sell and get an i9 iMac?

  • Jonathan Ramsey

    September 16, 2020 at 3:12 am

    It’s a reasonable concern. I have a mid 2015 iMac now that is just starting to show overheating issues. But I replaced the fusion drive with an SSD and have not taken the annoying steps to try and upgrade the OS so it could be there are other issues at hand. It needs a clean wipe and I may do that next week and see if the fan stops running so much. Other than than, I’ve never had a heat issue. That said, we edit in spurts, from tons to little. In between we do web design and graphic design work, and we do a lot of shooting. So, you’re a heavier day in and out user. On the video side, I am in AE almost as much as PP. I think AE is where you are more likely to see the Mac Pro outperform.

    In the end, I tend to go to: what tool helps you get it done best. That isn’t always the best tool, but sometimes is. If it would put you at ease and ensure your productivity, the money on the Mac Pro is well spent. And some of that extra you will recoop in years to come when you resell. I am going the high end iMac route this time. It worked great for me the last two times and I like getting a whole new machine 3-5 years in. The sum total is less expenditure and it’s spread out — both things I value. I am not editing 6k or 8k yet. I think if I were, I would go Mac Pro for sure. Now I just need a non-$5K second monitor… urg… Apple way overdid it there, IMO.

    One last thought… if it works for your workflow, an internal drive array on the pro will be notably faster than the iMac and an external array. By most standards, I’d say 25-30% faster depending on all the variables. Something to consider. I need an external array so it’s a moot point for me. Let me know what you decide to do! It’ll work either way. Best, Jonathan

  • Bryan Roberts

    September 16, 2020 at 3:47 pm

    Well maybe that seals it then. First off, I’m in Premiere 95% of the time, Photoshop for the odd still work and haven’t opened AE in a decade maybe? Re: internal array – so I really demand very fast real time performance in my timeline. It allows me to make much better style decisions and overall move much much faster. However, I usually edit on whatever drive a client sends me (it’s always a dupe of the original) so it’s usually a single external Lacie TB or USB3 drive that max out at 250mb/s so I end up doing proxies for just about everything. I work on so many different projects that having a single fast internal edit array, copying my media to it just for an edit, and then when picture locks, transferring off that array to their drive or an archive drive just isn’t a feasible workflow given how many times I’d need to do that each month. Most of my projects are 2 week edits and I’ll have some overlap (save for a giant 4k feature I’ve been working on the past 1.5 years that is contained on an external 16TB TB Lacie bigdisk raid). Oddly enough, I just finished a 6 camera multicam edit of Chance The Rapper + Ralph Lauren that premiered a couple days ago. The director provided me this custom external NVME TB raid drive that gets 2,329MB/s on Blackmagic disk speed test and they shot Prores 4444 4k and I was able to edit 6 angles Prores 4444 4k with an embedded LUT smoothly. There was only a bit of delay when pushing play but no frames dropped. But it was a 30 minute performance and by the end of the edit with a few different edit versions, Premiere just starting chugging even with the really fast storage. I ended up proxying and that solved everything. I did final color using Lumetri and MB Looks 2 on an adjustment layer which turned out wonderful but it really sapped my processor even using proxies, so in the end, I had to render my timeline even with ridiculously fast storage and a $12k Mac Pro :/ .

    Proxying on my Mac Pro is insanely fast which has been nice but I guess if I’m generally using proxies anyways, then the only real benefit I’m getting from the Mac Pro is future expandability (which is a bit moot assuming apple silicon mac pros are substantially faster when they release in the next 2ish years – so not like upgrading processors in my 2009 mac pro to 3.46 12 cores 5 years ago to make it faster than the newer trashcan mac pro is going to be possible) and then faster Premiere exports (but perhaps not THAT much faster considering how fast the 10 core iMac is). Hmmmm…

  • Jonathan Ramsey

    September 16, 2020 at 5:11 pm

    Wow, that drive for the Lauren piece sounds amazing!

    Well, one other option is to do the iMac now and until MacPro processors change out. You can sell it then if you decide you want/need to upgrade and it’ll have much of its value still, assuming it’s only a couple years out. And you can get the iMac, test it before you sell your Pro tower. If you hate it, sell it and the loss will be less than on the Pro. Sort of a hedging your bets option.

  • Bryan Roberts

    September 16, 2020 at 5:18 pm

    That was exactly what I was thinking, considering I’ll need overlap time anyways to get everything copied over. Buy the iMac. Try it for a week. If it works, then put my Mac Pro up for sale. If it doesn’t work, I can return it to Apple and restocking fee would be less than what I’d lose on selling it. If iMac works, have the iMac hold me off until Apple releases apple silicon Mac Pros in 2ish years. A side note, I think it has everyone worried that apple most likely won’t be allowing any user replaceable memory so we’ll all be paying their $2k 128GB ram prices. Also, how are they going to keep their GPU’s up to par with Nvidia / AMD? So much left to be understood with this transition.

  • Jonathan Ramsey

    September 16, 2020 at 5:24 pm

    Good question. Could also be they continue the trend of relying less and less on GPUs for the highest use features. That gets into engineering and is above my pay grade 🙂

    Hope this works out for you! I’m ordering a new iMac this week, as well. We’ll have to trade notes.

    p.s. Depending on your use, you could save even more with a 64gig system. I’ve read some reports that in PP 128 won’t help all that much (at least not proportionate to the increased cost)… it’s more of an AE benefit. But I’ve not confirmed that definitively.

  • Jonathan Ramsey

    September 16, 2020 at 8:34 pm

    Hey Bryan, here’s a cool cost savings for you: You can install your own memory in the iMac! That means you can use this ( for $620 and save $2000 on the iMac and still get 128.

    Question for you: have you read reports on the usefulness of the nano anti glare glass and color accuracy vs. the standard?

  • Bryan Roberts

    September 16, 2020 at 8:48 pm

    Oh, I never pay the apple tax on memory when it’s user upgradable. Most people are all linking to this memory that Max Tech is using – it’s $450 for x4 32gb chips to get to 128GB

    Haven’t decided on nano etching. Tough call. My Dell’s already have anti-reflective coatings on them so I don’t know if it’d be comfortable going to glass not to mention, I have a fair amount of natural light coming into my edit bay right now so reflections could be big. I’m leaning yes to nano.

  • Jonathan Ramsey

    September 16, 2020 at 8:51 pm

    Thanks! Great tip. The link didn’t work…

    And yes, I decided to go with the non reflective glass. they all claim the contrast is not compromised. Here’s hoping!!


  • Bryan Roberts

    September 16, 2020 at 8:53 pm

    Just add an “https:” to the front of this -> //

  • Jonathan Ramsey

    September 16, 2020 at 9:02 pm

    Thank you!

Viewing 11 - 20 of 20 posts

Log in to reply.

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy