Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums DaVinci Resolve Best export settings for 1920×1080 25p YouTube video?

• Best export settings for 1920×1080 25p YouTube video?

Robert Ober updated 1 month, 1 week ago 3 Members · 3 Posts
  • Nigel Cooper

August 4, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Best export settings for 1920×1080 25p YouTube video?

Can somebody advise me on the best export settings for YouTube.

I’m shooting in 1920×1080 25p

If I choose the default YouTube setting in Resolve the file size is a bit on the Large size.

I have chosen Custom for export and I use:

MP4, H.265 with Quality set to Automatic, but a friend said I should try setting the limit to 6000 instead, but people on YouTube suggest this should be set to 50,000, which creates files even bigger than when I use the standard YouTube export settings.

I have Key Frame set to Automatic.

There is little to no movement in my videos, just a locked off camera filming a seated presenter with some cutaways that perhaps have a gentle pan or tile, but nothing more than that.

For the record, I’m filming on a Sony A7 III mirrorless camera set to 1920×1080 at 25p also.

Suggestions please.

• David Baud

August 5, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Unfortunately it will be difficult to give you a recipe without looking at your footage, and knowing what is more important to you between small file size or best video quality.

Also if you are concerned about encoding speed, this is something else to take into account.

For Youtube and Vimeo upload, most of my video export today are done in H.265 because you get a good compromise between small file size and “good enough” video quality. If you don’t have a system with a recent cpu (2-3 years old processor) H.265 might take longer to encode versus H.264.

If you are really concerned about video quality, then you should upload intra-frame codec compressed file, but they will be much bigger file size and depending the length of your program, you might not have enough bandwidth with Youtube.

If you are still on the fence, I would run a 1-minute test of your footage with different compression settings and judge by yourself once uploaded to Youtube. Do not forget that Youtube will reencode your footage no matter what you do on your end.

I hope this helps.

• Robert Ober

August 15, 2021 at 6:26 pm

You may want to check out Jan Ozer’s article:

YouTube Quality at Lower Resolutions was Awful in my Tests

He is an encoding for streaming expert.

Robert

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy