Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Avid Media Composer AVID MC 5.5 to Omneon – MXF OP1A

• AVID MC 5.5 to Omneon – MXF OP1A

• Francois Stark

June 30, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Hi

I have been trying to find an easy way to export SD from Avid to MXF OP1A – XDCAM 30mbit/sec for playout on Omeon servers.

I have found a way that almost works – mount a dummy AMA volume that is formatted like a XDCAM disk, and then inside Avid MC, Outpt -> Export to device -> XDCAM. This writes into a file named C0001.mxf, in the format I select. Since I choose XDCAM 30mbit/sec, that is what the Avid creates.

However, the Omeon does not want to play the MXF file. I got some files that do play back from the Omneon, and the only difference I can see is that the MXF file from Omeon has 4 audio tracks, and the one that Avid MC creates has 8 audio tracks. For the rest, everything looks the same. Container: MXF OP1A, video Codec XDCAM 30mbit/sec, audio 16 bit 48khz.

However, I can not find a way to export only 4 audio tracks from Avid MC. And I think that is the only problem with the file. Avid works natively with MXF files, but it seems it always splits video and audio…

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Francois
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

• Gary Hazen

June 30, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Is this a one off project or do you anticipate sending a high volume of files to the Omneon ?

We have a K2 server and Telestream FlipFactory. The FlipFactory is is tied in with our Unity. From the Avid edit suites we drop a QT ref file in a watch folder. The file is transcoded to the K2’s native codec and finally the file is automatically pushed to the K2. It works well.

You could put together something similar on a smaller scale with Telestream Episode. For testing purposes you could downloaded the trail version of Episode to see verify that it will generate a Omneon compliant file.

• Vitor Teixeira

July 6, 2011 at 11:18 am

Hi Francois,
    You should try to use the MOG Technologies product called mxfSPEEDRAIL O1000. It allows to export sequences from Avid and generate an MXF OP1A Omneon compliant.
    https://www.mog-technologies.com/products/file-based/product-overview/
    you can get it from INALA in South Africa.

Regards,
    Vitor

• Francois Stark

July 6, 2011 at 11:23 am

Hi Gary

I need to get a process going that can convert a few files per day – every day.

We are actually a FCP shop, but Omneon does not like quicktime files. That’s why I bought the Avid crossgrade – I was hoping it would make it easier to deliver MXF files but it seems like it does not.

Creating a dummy XDCAM folder and exporting one file at a time is not a process that I want to use regularly.

I had a look at Episode Pro and also the high-end Episode Engine and don’t see any mention of MXF. What is the native file format you created for the Grass Valley K2 server? It looks like Flipfactory is the only option left.

Thanks
    Francois

• Ben Wilson

July 8, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Hi Francois,

I have been evaluating Telestream’s new Vantage product. It does much of what FlipFactory does with a vastly improved user interface. It has the potential to do much more than FlipFactory. The 30-day trial does not watermark video the way the FlipFactory demo does. Might be worth a try out.

I have been evaluating AVID to Omneon and ProfileSD conversions as well as workflow decision making based on file contents and audio normalization.

So far, I like this better than FlipFactory. It has priced out higher than FlipFactory, but in my opinion it’s worth it. Eventually, Telestream plans to replace FlipFactory with Vantage, but that is some ways down the road.

Cheers,

Ben Wilson
    Engineering Project Manager
    SCETV

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy