Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › AJA Video Systems › AJA io for archiving?

  • AJA io for archiving?

    Posted by Jason Boughton on March 18, 2009 at 8:20 pm

    I am working up a proposal to archive of very old video, including open-reel 1″, VHS, 8mm and High8, stuff shot with a portapack, etc. The goal is to put everything in the most useful, least compressed format and store it on mirrored raids, but also to re-compress it for various delivery – everything from streaming, to HDDVD (or Blue Ray) etc, down the road. My thinking is to go straight to 422 using the io hd – I understand that there is a lot of redundant resolution there, but my guess is that it will be most useful that way.

    Any thoughts? Overkill? Cheaper, better options elsewhere?

    thanks,

    JB

    Michael Sacci replied 17 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Michael Sacci

    March 18, 2009 at 10:00 pm

    I really don’t recommend RAID storage for archive solutions. unless you are just talking about the FW800 drives that have 2 drives in the enclosure. Even with that LTO tape drives might be safer.

    I probably would capture SD footage as SD. Then up-convert or down-convert as and when needed.

    Codecs I would concider are:
    DVCPro50 (this is 4:2:2 but is smaller files than ProRes)
    Photo JPEG
    SD ProRes (this is the least compatible going to non-FCP systems)

    my 2cents

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy