Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe After Effects › 9600 px wide x 1080 px After Effects project

  • 9600 px wide x 1080 px After Effects project

    Posted by Natalie Simmons on November 23, 2011 at 10:18 am

    Hi there,
    I’ve been asked by a client to create a clip that is 9600px wide by 1080 px high – It’s basically to be played across 5 HD screens in a long line behind a bar to show a long, synced strip of an ambient scene – i.e a starlit skyline with shooting stars moving across the screens / an aquarium with fish swimming along th e width of the 5 screens etc..
    I’ve done this kind of thing before but was able to split up the footage into separate renders each at 1920 x 1080 and then it was all synced though separate digital signage players for each screen.

    However in this instance the client insists that it has to be one huge render as content on the screens will be switched over from time to time to show football etc.. and so synching would become an issue.

    I have set up the comp in After Effects as 9600 x 1080 and work with proxies fine but obviously the output files are Mahooosive and I can’t actually preview the files when rendered as Quicktime just gives me a blank screen.

    Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to tackle a job like this and what would be a good render format? (The digital signage software is compatible with most formats)

    Oh if it helps- the specs of my mac are below:

    Hardware Overview:

    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

    thanks a lot!!

    Natalie Simmons replied 14 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Walter Soyka

    November 23, 2011 at 4:20 pm

    [Natalie Simmons] “However in this instance the client insists that it has to be one huge render as content on the screens will be switched over from time to time to show football etc.. and so synching would become an issue.”

    The playback requirements for a 9600×1080 stream — 5 side-by-side streams of HD — are massive.

    You need to find out what the playback system requires, and deliver accordingly. Most playback systems I’ve used prefer pre-split assets for sync rolls, too.

    Walter Soyka
    Principal & Designer at Keen Live
    Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
    RenderBreak Blog – What I’m thinking when my workstation’s thinking
    Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

  • Natalie Simmons

    November 23, 2011 at 4:32 pm

    Thanks for answering,
    I have also now spoken to the company that runs the digital signage software and am now in the process of convincing the client that the content should be split up and synced as I have done previously- phew that takes the headache out of it!
    thanks for reassuring me that I wasn’t dismissing something too early!

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy