Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › VEGAS Pro › 1959 Twilight Zone like rendering

  • 1959 Twilight Zone like rendering

    Posted by Jean-pierre henri Dumas on October 23, 2014 at 9:42 am

    What can be the way(s) to get the beautiful B&W rendering like I see in old B&W movies like the Twilight Zone from late 50’s – early 60’s, from modern digital
    RGB take?
    OK, I know how to make B&W from RGB, but even changing the curves is not enough. In still images there are a few apps that can work toward that, but how about in SVP with moving pictures?
    Thanx.

    Steve Rhoden replied 11 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Steve Rhoden

    October 26, 2014 at 11:03 am

    What plugins you already have installed in Vegas?

    Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
    Film Maker & VFX Artist.
    Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
    Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
    https://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

  • Jean-pierre henri Dumas

    October 28, 2014 at 11:59 am

    >> What plugins you already have installed in Vegas?

    None currently, just plain vanilla SVP (10 on XP & 13 on Win7 x64)

    My words where quite confused in the original post, now I know that it should be “Film look”, in Black & White.
    What I do with still image by using “Kodak Digital ROC” or “Dxo Film Pack”.

    I see that there is some FX that work in that direction.

    I do not have experience in using FX, I use SVP to trim/cut/paste, add titles, change speed, add subtitles, work on the sound track (I use Audition for that), some simple transitions, nothing fancy.

    But looking at B&W movies from the 60s I am shocked at the quality of the images, so beautiful modelé and rendu. (Sorry this is french, I have not the english word for them)
    I used to do still pictures with TriX processed with D76… So totally different from the digital!

    The gamma, curve & contrast alone cannot fix that, there is a micro contrast enhancement of some sort, right ?
    What FX can work on that aspect ?

    Any help ?

    Thank you.

  • Steve Rhoden

    November 9, 2014 at 10:44 am

    Well then in that case, you have lots and lots of color grading plugins
    now on the market available for Vegas, and all are good, and can achieve
    your desired look…. The question is, which one can you afford!

    Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
    Film Maker & VFX Artist.
    Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
    Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
    https://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy