Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro 1920X1080 Origination Footage Dumbed Down to 720X480 DVD

• 1920X1080 Origination Footage Dumbed Down to 720X480 DVD

Red-Rob Rothkopf updated 4 weeks, 1 day ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
  • Rich Kutnick

November 3, 2021 at 6:02 pm

2 Camera Bar Mitzvah Celebration. 2.5 hours final production edited in Vegas Pro 19. Rendered to MP4 and looks/sound great. Re-rendered with MainConcept MPEG-2 DVD Widescreen (720X480 ) Template at a setting of VBR Max 9,500,000; Avg 6,000,000 and Min 192,000, and authored in DVD Architect 6 for burning via IMGBurn.

I actually had to render twice. Using my graphics card (NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super), VP 19 froze a number of times on a number of attempts (anywhere from 5-20 minutes into the render). When I instructed VP 19 NOT to use my RXT 2060 Super for rendering, NO PROBLEM (and not too shabby a time with my AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.79 GHz (about 1.5 hours for a 2.5 hour program). When I rendered this same VEG file to a MainConcept Bluray template once again UTILIZING my graphics card, everything ran without incident (no freezing).

Questions:

1) Any ideas why my graphics card evidently caused VP 19 to freeze? I thought that graphics cards causing this problem were a thing of the past…and no problem rendering to HD, only SD!!

2) So am I following the best and most expeditious process to achieve my goal of producing a standard DVD from HD origination footage? This is what the client wants, despite my pleas to hand them an HD production!! We all know the fact that there is a night and day difference in HD vs. SD footage!!!!

Your thoughts, suggestions, advice, etc.?

Thank you in advance.

• Rich Kutnick

November 3, 2021 at 6:13 pm

I FORGOT ONE VERY IMPORTANT ITEM:

I will be burning DVD+R DL discs (Dual-Layered–8.5GB capacity).

Sorry for the important omission!

• Red-Rob Rothkopf

November 3, 2021 at 7:01 pm

Hey Rich!

A few thoughts/Q’s:

1. Why aren’t you burning directly from DVDA?

2. Despite it being possibly “unpopular”, years ago I decided to only render for DVD using a CBR and not VBR; VBR I found caused unpleasant results during fast moving scenes, crossfades and transitions, so much so that CBR just seemed better for my needs.

On the crashing — I suspect it may have to do with a plugin and scaling down for the DVD, but not knowing where it’s crashing or what plugins you’re using, it’s hard to help pinpoint.

What I do in a scenario like yours is take my high quality 1080p render, drop that into a new track at the top of the timeline and then render the lower-resolution DVD. It’s *significantly* faster since there is zero FX processing at that point, and very stable. I realize your first response might be “but it’s a 2nd generation render.. lower quality” — to my eyes, I’ve never been able to see degradation using this method.. so maybe it’ll work for you? 🙂

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy