Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe After Effects › 18fps super 8 film to 23.98 from image sequence

  • 18fps super 8 film to 23.98 from image sequence

    Posted by Tina Brunn on October 23, 2013 at 1:11 am

    Need some advice on whether or not this approach is correct. I have a 1:1 scan of a 50 ft super 8 film reel in an image sequence (images are 1920×1080). I imported the image sequence into AE and interpreted the frames to 23.98, then placed on a 23.98 comp. I then time-stretched 133% to get the speed correct. Outputted to a 23.98 ProRes file, created the mpeg2 in compressor and burned a dvd. I compared this final dvd (and the 23.98 prores file) with a true 18fps ProRes file (also created in AE) and honestly can’t see much difference.

    Am I right in thinking that since the original film was intended for viewing at 18 fps, that doing it the way I mention will not require any kind of frame mixing to replicate the original look of the film? I feel like if I have interpreted the scans to 23.98, and have matched the original speed, that it should mimic the look of 18fps?

    Walter Soyka replied 12 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Todd Kopriva

    October 23, 2013 at 1:48 am

    You interpret footage by telling After Effects what frame rate the footage was captured at. So, interpret 18fps footage as 18fps.

    Don’t mis-interpret the footage and then time-stretch the layer to try to compensate.

    ———————————————————————————————————
    Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
    After Effects quality engineering
    After Effects team blog
    ———————————————————————————————————

  • Tina Brunn

    October 23, 2013 at 2:01 am

    Hmm, but it wasn’t really captured at a certain frame rate. It was captured as individual scans 1:1. So if I create an 18fps interpreted sequence (which I have done) and then try to get that to play at 23.98, what would the workflow be? Would I need something like Twixtor to do this properly? Reason I’m asking is so that I can get a nice dvd output of these film transfers. I realize that for any computer/web use, 18fps is the way to go.

  • Walter Soyka

    October 23, 2013 at 6:23 am

    Why 23.976? I’d suggest you consider rendering at 29.97 fps with fields. You’ll get a 3:3:4 interlaced pulldown, which should play noticeably smoother than repeating every third progressive frame.

    I wouldn’t do any kind of time-remapping or optical flow re-timing. It’ll gloop up your footage. I think the frame rate is part of the look, and your viewers will accept it.

    Either way, if you’re using 23.976 or 29.97, interpret your source at the NTSCish frame rate of 17.982 frames per second instead of a round 18.0.

    Walter Soyka
    Principal & Designer at Keen Live
    Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
    RenderBreak Blog – What I’m thinking when my workstation’s thinking
    Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy