AMERICAN HORROR STORY DOUBLE FEATURE cinematographer Andrew Mitchell had a massive challenge to overcome: how to film two unique stories with distinct looks in a cohesive way. Learn his visual approach for each half of the season and how he transitioned from camera operator to DP.
Andrew and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss the essential skills every DP should have, using visual effects and clever editing to fake Sarah Paulson being on set, converting color to black and white, and so much more!
What you will learn:
- Working with Ryan Murphy (01:04)
- Transitioning from camera operator to DP (02:57)
- Skills a DP should have (15:03)
- Muted cold visual approach to Part 1 (18:27)
- LUTs affecting skin tones (24:43)
- Filming Sarah Paulson scenes without her (30:03)
- Using Helios tubes for fire scenes (32:14)
- Shooting Belle’s massacre at 96 fps (35:48)
- Shooting on the Sony Venice with diopters (39:03)
- Converting color to black and white (41:57)
- Referencing CLOSE ENCOUNTERS for Part 2 (47:06)
- Blooming effect using filtration (50:48)
- And more!
- Website – https://gocreativeshow.com/american-horror-story-double-feature-cinematography-with-andrew-mitchell/
- iTunes – https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/go-creative-show/id539359582
- Subscribe – http://gocreativeshow.com/subscribe/
- Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/gocreativeshow
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/gocreativeshow/
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/gocreativeshow/
- YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/gocreativeshowpodcast/
- Audio Player – https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/21328742/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/c62b2b/
Enjoying the news? Sign up now for the Creative COW Newsletter!
Sign up for the Creative COW newsletter and get weekly updates on industry news, forum highlights, inspirational tutorials, tips, burning questions, and more! Receive bulletins from the largest, longest-running community dedicated to supporting professionals working in film, video, and audio.
Enter your email address, a first and last name, and let us know what you’d like to see more of in the message!