The latest version of media management software adds improvements for DCP packaging, Dolby Vision mastering, visual effects pulls and more.
MTI Film has released an updated version of CORTEX, its family of software solutions for managing media from the set to the screen. CORTEX v5.4 includes dozens of new and enhanced features designed to improve the handling of camera media, dailies production, post-production processing and deliverables packaging. User experience has also been significantly improved, making it even easier to manage projects through successive stages of production and post.
Many new features included in CORTEX v5.4 were developed from direct user feedback. “We continue to improve CORTEX in response to advances in production and post-production technology, innovations in workflows and evolving delivery requirements,” says MTI Film Director of Product Development Randy Reck. “Responding to feedback from users around the world, we have made the software more capable, more efficient and easier to use.”
CORTEX v 5.4 includes several new features for DCP packaging. It now supports decoding and rendering in both Interop and SMPTE DCP formats. It also supports multiple video and audio tracks for playback, assembly and rendering, encrypted or non-encrypted. Additionally, it includes expanded features for DCP subtitling that enable font selection, positioning and text editing.
CORTEX v 5.4 improves Dolby Vision™ mastering with new features including Level 8 metadata display. Working with Dolby Atmos has also been streamlined with a new software development kit. Support for Dolby Digital has been added.
CORTEX v 5.4 makes visual effects production easier. The software can now facilitate the pass-through of ARRI Quicktime camera data (including focus, iris, zoom, position and attitude) when rendering ProRes files.
CORTEX v 5.4 includes expanded support for DNG files, Adobe’s raw format, used in drones, smartphones and other camera systems.
CORTEX v5.4: What’s New
- Faster DNG decoding
- Improved XAVC long GOP interoperability
- Read dynamic camera metadata from Arri MXF and write to QuickTime
- Passthrough Arri QuickTime camera metadata when rendering ProRes files
- SMPTE DCP support
- Checks to enforce SMPTE RDD 52 DCP profile
- Render PNG subtitles for SMPTE and Interop DCPs
- Closed caption embedded in XAVC files
- Dolby Vision Level 8 metadata display
- Dolby Digital audio support
- Uncompressed DNxHR support
- Improved playback in media player
- Updated RED R3D SDK 8.0 support
- Frame rate conversion 59.94p to 29.97p
- Expanded RAW support
- Expanded AAF support
- Naming tokens for BBC IMF spec
CORTEX v5.4: Improvements:
- 25i frame rate support
- BDN subtitle capability
- SMPTE DCP new subtitle controls for font, placement, text editing, and burn-in
- Render differences into source folder for DPX, EXR, TIFF etc.
- Control for the size of the dead pixel repair
- Option to generate a file per edit when rendering an IMF
- Improved reading of TIFF files from SAN hardware
- Faster TIFF writing speed
- Speedup of J2K playback & rendering with multiple GPUs
See what you’ve been missing! Sign up for the Creative COW Newsletter!
Stay on top of current trends! Get weekly updates on industry news, forum highlights, inspirational tutorials, tips, burning questions, and much much more! Receive updates from the largest, long-running community dedicated to supporting professionals working in film, video, and audio.
Enter your email address, a first and last name, and let us know what you’d like to see more of in the message!