Hello Tom and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.
[tom davicory] “1. How do I connect the speakers to the dvd player (I understand that I need some kind of amp or av receiver thing, refer to question 2)?
>exactly, or to powered speakers.
2. Assuming I need one of these amps, is it possible to use my current guitar amp head (its something like 100 or 120 watts, 4 ohm minimum)?
> Guitar amps are designed for a particular tonal range. There may be some impedance mismatch. A guitar amp would work (for one channel) but you may not like the sound.
3. Once all this is done, I was thinking of just having 3 speakers; stereo+ subwoofer (refer to question 4 about the subwoofer). Does anyone have any relatively low budget speakers they would recommend (i’m talking small, not to powerful ones, like 25-50 bucks a piece)?
> Speakers, themselves, are not powerful. The amp that drives them is. You can buy cheap speakers anywhere.
4. I recently built my own speakers for my amp head (a 2×12 cab using 2 subwoofer speakers), can I use this as my subwoofer?”
> You can use anything you like. It’s the “like” part that will set you on your journey.
Regards,
Ty Ford
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Watch Ty play guitar