Forum Replies Created

Page 142 of 422
  • Ty Ford

    August 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm in reply to: Interview Audio Problem

    Hey Richard,

    Thanks for the heads-up on your upload problem. Something isn’t right and I have sent a note along to the web folks.

    I did hear your clip when you sent it to me outside the cow. Do you know how the noise was generated? I ask to try and help you from ending up there in the future.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    August 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm in reply to: podcasting and voiceover mic comparison opinions please.

    Hello Jason and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    I think the Audio Technica AT2020USB fits in there somewhere.

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/552791-REG/Audio_Technica_AT2020USB_AT2020USB_Condenser_Microphone.html/BI/8631/KBID/9745

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    July 31, 2012 at 12:36 am in reply to: 552 to PC. Again!

    Hello Aiden,

    Why not record on the 552 and transfer to the PC? I’m guessing the 552 has a better A/D converter than your PC.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    July 31, 2012 at 12:31 am in reply to: Seeking Mic Advice for Performance

    Hello BIll and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    Try your VP88. You probably already know the widest setting increases noise, so try and stay away from that. Any kind of drum can be a pain to record when played with other instruments.

    You may benefit from a stereo limiter. If you’re using a mixer like a Sound Devices 442 or 552, which have good limiters, you’ll be in a lot better shape than if you take the mic directly into the camera. Just don’t work it too much.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    July 27, 2012 at 8:31 pm in reply to: I need some “All Day” headphones for editing.

    Eric likes ’em. I think they sound weird (phasey). I don’t remember the model number.

    Long wearing can be uncomfortable. Cosies can help. I don’t know of any phones I’d want on my head for 8 hours. Maybe get two different models to trade off so they won’t rub exactly the same spots.

    The Sony MDR7509 are very cushy and they don’t have the sting of the MDR7506.

    Maybe them and the Ultrasones.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    July 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm in reply to: Interesting observation on dialogue timing

    Peter, Steve,

    Yes, I teach this to people when giving VO training because these days, so many producers want the talent to record themselves to save studio fees. I’m against that generally, but there are many things I don’t believe in that happen anyway.

    Yes, the breath is part of the sound. We sometimes take it out and when we do, the space seems huge. Depending oh how the breath is taken, I sometimes take the center of the breath out because it’s the loudest. That seems to suffice. If it sounds wrong, I use room tone to replace the breath entirely.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    July 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm in reply to: Background ambience theme sounds

    Hello Jason and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

    Try Sound Dogs.

    https://www.sounddogs.com/

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    July 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm in reply to: Portable VO booths

    Hi Tom,

    It’s a balance of both. I explain sound in a room as similar to a pool table. Toss a ball on a pool table and it hits the cushions until it runs out of energy. In a room the pool table is three dimensional.

    Sound deadening is used to keep outside sounds from getting in. That’s normally a D-I-D (density-isolatio-density) sandwich of walls and a space that isolates the walls from each other so they don’t conduct sound. That’s something completely different than treating the insides of the space.

    Foam absorbs. Diffusion breaks up the waveforms and scatters them. Inside the space, you typically need a balance of absorption and diffusion to get it right. Hard parallel surfaces are your enemy, e.g. ceiling/floor, wall/wall. Once you tune into that, you can walk into a room, clap your hands and hear the problems and see and hear the areas that need treatment.

    See the record albums on in the corner? That shelf systems covers my entire wall; 13 feet by 8 feet tall. Those irregular edges of all the LPs creates a giant diffuser. Books on shelves can do the same thing.

    The long horizontal panel is two 2′ x 4′ sheets of 4″ thick acoustic foam squeezed slightly (so they stay there) into 1″ x 4″ boards I attached to the wall with simple L brackets.

    Wall to wall covered by a carpet on the floor.

    Some (but not all) of the “acoustical” ceiling tiles are are covered in 1″ thick foam to reduce ceiling bounce.

    The frame on the left with the foam on it is a stood up base for a slatted platform bed.

    The couch also helps.

    The carpet on the table helps.

    The grey muslin curtain was added when I began to shoot video in this space and needed a more neutral background. It also impacts the sonic signature of the space.

    You don’t have to go all scientific once you get the idea. I also use CD storage towers on a chest along the back wall to breakup the soundwaves. You can sort of see them behind the Neumann mic and JBL monitor in the top shot.

    The visual for that is imagining what happens when you drop a stone in a pond. It sends out a circular ripple. You want to break that up so it doesn’t hit a flat surface and bounce back to you in tact. Worst possible case…a racquetball court. Still bad…most bathrooms. Usually funky…a stairwell. All bad due to hard parallel surfaces.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    July 18, 2012 at 11:05 am in reply to: Portable VO booths

    Bill,

    Thanks so much for your continued and excellent contributions to the Cow Audio Forum. This is a great example of thinking outside the box for the benefit of others.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    July 17, 2012 at 1:18 pm in reply to: Portable VO booths

    Tom,

    A nice walk-in closet can work very well. Can you get in it and turn around so the back side of the mic is aimed at the door opening?

    I have seen people try to setup at the door looking into the closet. That doesn’t work as well because the live side of the mic hears the room they’re in.

    Also check the ceiling. Ceiling bounce can be pretty destructive. Adding a blanket above will tame that.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

Page 142 of 422

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy