Forum Replies Created

Page 140 of 422
  • Ty Ford

    August 17, 2012 at 8:02 pm in reply to: Recording sound with 3 people on camera

    Hello Michael and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    There comes a time in every person’s development when they bite off more than they can chew and choke on it.

    You are very wise to raise the question here.

    First, I suspect you are using an XA10 Canon, not an AX10. Please confirm.

    Instead of using 3 mics, consider using a boom operator to move the mic to the person speaking. AS long as you have one person talking at a time you have one mic and many fewer hassles.Three omni lavs in a live room will be pretty nasty.

    As for the room slap, that’s partially because you’re using a shotgun mic. For more on mics, here’s a link to my video mic tutorial.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaUSXP-a3hA

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Ty Ford

    August 16, 2012 at 10:40 pm in reply to: ghost power and 1/4″ to 1/8″ to 1/4″

    Hey Brian,

    You can have phantom on with a professional dynamic mic. It won’t hurt anything, but won’t help.

    You will have problems if you hook up an unbalanced (consumer) mic to a balanced input with phantom power (If you can actually figure out how to do that). And, you can sometimes damage a professional ribbon mic by connecting it to a mic pre with the phantom turned on.

    Regards,

    Ty


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    August 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm in reply to: Best synth for SFX?

    Hello Larry and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    I still haven’t scratched the surface of Pro Tools Xpand2 and the others that come with PT 10.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    August 14, 2012 at 6:52 pm in reply to: Using wireless systems rented in the USA for Europe shoot

    Hello Dana and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    I think that depends on what frequencies you’re running now.

    https://www.sennheiserireland.com/ie/home_en.nsf/root/professional_wireless-microphone-systems_frequency-check_uk

    Frequencies (in MHz) for users from abroad
    173.8 – 175
    175.25 – 216.8
    863 – 865
    854.9 – 861.75
    470 – 854

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    August 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm in reply to: Using timecode, LTC, SMPTE on a film set

    Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    You’ve been given some really good advice here.

    One point in your last post. Seldom do mics get plugged directly into cameras in professional work.

    Mics go to a mixer and then to camera. Mixers are more than knobs that let you vary the volume.

    1. They let you vary volumes without shaking the camera or getting in the way of the camera op.
    2. You may need to do that a lot with some people. I ride gain even if one person is talking if their voice fades on the end of each line. You can only do this in a relatively quiet environment, otherwise you bring up the ambient noise.
    3. Mixer preamps (good ones) sound better than camera preamps.
    4. Good mixers have input transformers that scrape off RF before it get into your audio.
    5. Good mixers have limiters that allow you to record hotter, keeping your audio further above the noise floor without distorting.
    6. Good mixers have EQ that lets you roll of LF HVAC noise before it gets into your audio.
    7. Good mixers have mulitple outputs so you can feed more than one camera, or separate recorder simultaneously.
    8. Good mixers make your sound better. If they didn’t pros wouldn’t use them.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    August 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm in reply to: Interview Audio Problem

    Peter,

    What a nice thing to do! I’m sure he appreciates it.

    Regards,

    Ty


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    August 6, 2012 at 10:55 am in reply to: I need some “All Day” headphones for editing.

    Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    You’re hearing 22 kHz and above?

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    August 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm in reply to: Choosing a hyper-cardioid mic for indoor boom

    Joe,

    Thanks. I figured it would only be seen on computer. That was my first attempt at home video. It took me 20 minutes to be satisfied with the location of the rose on the table. I shot the video from my camera right into Quicktime on my laptop using my lap top as a monitor so I could see it from the couch and get a better idea of the shot rather than looking through the camera eye-piece.

    I had mics going to my Sound Devices 442 mixer and from there to the camera.

    I had floor lamps out of frame in just the right places and had to change to the white shirt so I popped off of the background.

    I knew where the mic needed to be and confirmed that by listening over headphones when I set the shot up. I seem to recall some issue of my angle to the camera so my left hand was not obscured by the couch. Careful planning or trickery? You decide. 🙂

    Also, I was playing pretty well that day.. 🙂

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    August 5, 2012 at 4:52 am in reply to: Choosing a hyper-cardioid mic for indoor boom

    Joe,

    On the sofa armrest, you can see a little grey oval. That’s the Schoeps supercardioid. For vocal, I had a Countryman E6 over my ear and on my cheek.

    I split tracked the recording and then ran the mono guitar mic through a stereo reverb.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    August 4, 2012 at 4:36 pm in reply to: Looking for Stereo Mic Suggestions

    Hello Dan and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    Everything’s been said, but I’ll toss in for the BP4025 as well. Large diameter capsules mean low self noise and cleaner recordings.

    Lemme see if I can find the sample I recorded here when I reviewed it.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f0qg6se5bzvbev/ATBP4025ambi08.wav

    There you go.

    You’ll need more wind protection than the foam that comes with it, and which I used on this recording.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader


    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

Page 140 of 422

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy