Forum Replies Created

Page 127 of 422
  • Ty Ford

    February 18, 2013 at 11:03 pm in reply to: Interference issues with monitors

    Jonathan,

    If you have this: https://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1300G&tab=features

    It doesn’t do any filtering. Just spike suppression and battery backup.

    If you have dirty power it will not filter that out.

    If you run on its battery, do you have the same problems?

    I have a contact in NYC. Waiting to hear back.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    February 18, 2013 at 10:34 pm in reply to: Interference issues with monitors

    RF may originate anywhere. It comes in over anything conductive, including up the power line or ground system if exposed and not terminated properly.

    I had a friend with RF problems in Boston. His DAW was getting regularly occurring hits. Turns out it was the radar at logan airport sweeping past his third story studio.

    I had another client who had a recording studio with RF problems in the mics. He knew his ground system was iffy. We tried new cables, different wiring of cables, nothing worked. I went in one night and in trying to move the mic cables to null the RF, I had to move his copy stand. It was a metal music stand. The RF from the tV station 1/4 mile away was being re-radiated by the copy stand. The solution was a wooden copy stand.

    There are different kinds of dirt. That’s why I asked Jonathan exactly WHICH box he is using so I can figure out what kind of filtering it does. He may not need the $2400 solution, but my point was, he could probably get B&H to sell him that with a return guarantee..or get them to loan him one to find out if that was the problem.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    February 18, 2013 at 7:35 pm in reply to: Interference issues with monitors

    Jonathan.

    APC pro what model number?

    Dimmers won’t bring in RF they’ll buzz.

    If the wiring is old and you have different appliances and an elevator in the building, all of that could be dumping into your power.

    Wall dimmers in someone else’s apartment could be the cause.

    Saying no to going to B&H to find out if you can see if their box will help is the worst sort of denial.

    Do you want to find and fix the problem or not?

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    February 18, 2013 at 5:42 pm in reply to: The right tools and the right skills

    I asked Nick for help with an adjunct piece for a review I wrote of the Martin J-28LSE baritone guitar. (An AMAZING instrument. If you’re a guitar player, you have to try one.)

    Words are great, but having video and also having done a SKYPE video interview with Tim Teel, Martin’s instrument development master would be much better story telling than text on a blog.

    After the interview with Tim Teel, I made up a shot list of topics we covered during the interview so I could pull them in as B-roll. That’s where Nick came in. He has great video and lighting gear and we live less than 10 minutes from each other.

    Even though we’ve known each other since 1971, we hadn’t really worked together on a shoot before, so there was that dynamic. Then there was the macro/wobbly hardware issue. This was a learning experience for both of us and, for that, it was a wonderful experience — at least for me. Nick may feel differently. 🙂

    What I came away with was the gnawing thought that I certainly didn’t have enough B-roll for the entire interview, but I’m not so sure I need it. Will the piece do what I want it to? I’m sure it will, even though I don’t have the last second of it firmly planned in my head.

    More later…

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    PS: Shooting video of an amazing Martin guitar – cool!
    Hanging out with an old friend – priceless.

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    February 18, 2013 at 1:53 am in reply to: Interference issues with monitors

    Hello Jonathan and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    From the fine details you have given, I’m thinking that the RF is either coming up the power ground to your monitors or up the hot or cold side, or all three. So, right out of the wall and up the power cord.

    Do the power cords have 3 pins? If so try a 3 to 2 converter that eliminates the ground and see if the rf goes away. If it doesn’t, than that means the RF may on the hot or cold side of the AC (in addition to the ground).

    If this is the case, no amount of shielding will help. It’s dirty power.

    What may help is a symmetrically balanced power conditioner. Furman makes one:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657354-REG/Furman_P_2400_IT_P_2400_IT_Symmetrically_Balanced.html/BI/8631/KBID/9745

    B&H carries it and they are right in Manhattan. $2400!!!! Not cheap, but the symmetrical balancing does give you something regular power conditioners don’t. If you talk nice to them, B&H should let you buy and return it if it doesn’t work in your RF Hell Hole. Please keep us advised.

    What conditioner are you currently using?

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    February 16, 2013 at 1:35 pm in reply to: 8 Channel (or Track) Audio Recorder? Maximum Peaks?

    Hello Stephanie and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    Peter has given you a lot of very direct input on a somewhat complicated subject and if you are new to audio, I can see it could overwhelm you.

    Peter always teaches me something. What we call room tone in the US, he calls wild tracks. “Two countries separated by one language.” I’m sure there are other differences in our nomenclature.

    I think he covered your questions and the differences between acquisition, mixing and deliverables, record levels and surround. You seldom, if ever, shoot in surround. Sometimes clients don’t really understand what they need. The idea of Surround sounds cool, but doesn’t make sense for web delivery, unless I’m missing something. Unknowingly, their direction could be leading you astray. Perhaps you could elaborate.

    What kind of recorder are you using now and how would you use an eight track recorder – none of which cost $100, btw. 🙂

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    February 16, 2013 at 12:36 pm in reply to: Enhancing Vocals for Video

    HI Neil,

    Sounds like you turned it up, normalized it or processed it with some sort of gain reduction.

    Which did you use?

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow Audio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    February 16, 2013 at 2:28 am in reply to: Enhancing Vocals for Video

    Hello Neil and thanks for stopping by the Cow Audio Forum.

    I was unable to access anything at the link you provided.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford
    Cow AUdio Forum Leader

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    February 15, 2013 at 11:30 am in reply to: tips for talent when being miked with a boom

    Every inch closer or degree of angle makes a difference. If you can’t hear that, maybe you’ll be a shooter. 🙂

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

  • Ty Ford

    February 10, 2013 at 11:10 pm in reply to: Ty Ford Tells All About Voiceover

    Thanks John,

    Yes, they could! I think we have lost a bit of that over time in this age of “good enough”

    But we are using (or abusing) the language more these days, so if that’s how it is, that’s how it is!

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog

Page 127 of 422

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy