Forum Replies Created

Page 295 of 402
  • Todd Terry

    November 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm in reply to: Welcome Steve Wargo, the newest B&M Cow Leader

    Wow, I thought Steve was aleady up there. I guess I should start paying more attention.

    Glad to have Steve’s pic up next to mine. Warning to the rest of the hosts, though… you’re grouping us old biker dudes together. Careful or we’re going to form a gang and take the place over. The leather COW jackets will have a big badass bull’s head on the back, with flames coming out of the nostrils.

    Welcome Steve,

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    November 29, 2009 at 7:40 pm in reply to: My 5D gets a dolly

    Wow his prices have really skyrocketed since he first started selling that exact same basic design on eBay a while back. If I remember correctly, they were well well sub-$1K units then. Might have even been sub-$500, memory is fuzzy. Just starting out then, I guess.

    Still less than the formidable (and flawless, btw) P+S Technik Skater though, which would seem to be what it’s looking to replace.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    November 27, 2009 at 3:29 am in reply to: Looking to Buy Super 8 MM Camera

    Good resources and answers to a lot of your questions at…

    https://homepage.mac.com/onsuper8/

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    November 23, 2009 at 2:43 am in reply to: Tricky job interview questions

    I’ll contend that some of the best answers are even more obvious than Google’s “right” answers.

    For example… Why are manhole covers round?

    Most of us probably came up with the “right” answer, “So they can’t fall in the hole.”

    But I’ll maintain that the real correct answer is… that manhole covers are round…well, because the manholes themselves are round. Duh 🙂

    Probably too big of a smartass for the Google interview.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    November 22, 2009 at 5:58 am in reply to: Canon working on P2 Rival? Solid State Prosumer cameras?

    …and if it had a PL mount option so you could use real cine primes…. that combo would be darn hard to beat.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    November 21, 2009 at 8:56 pm in reply to: Canon working on P2 Rival? Solid State Prosumer cameras?

    I sure hope they do… but God knows if or when.

    Canon has always played things very close to the vest, much the opposite of many other companies. With Sony, they announce new products and give details long before they are available. With RED, they announce new products before they have even thought of them… ha. But with Canon… most often you never hear a peep about something new until it is on the shelf and ready to buy. They’ve always been super super secretive.

    Makes capital planning a little difficult.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    November 21, 2009 at 12:03 am in reply to: How do you bill for iTunes downloads?

    [Ty Ford] “Get the client sign a transfer of rights letter absolving you of liability”

    Yeah, as stated before that doesn’t work. Just because someone else gives you “permission” to do something illegal doesn’t make it any less so. They may say they are willing to take the heat for you, but it just doesn’t work that way.

    If it did, a hit man could knock people off left and right and never fear going to jail himself. “No, no… the lady told me I could kill her husband. See? Here’s my copy of the receipt I gave her!”

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    November 20, 2009 at 8:57 pm in reply to: voiceover industry – questions

    [Nick Griffin] “…those two U-87s that I let go in 1985 when I closed my audio studio are actually worth more than I paid for them…?”

    Nick, I just found a couple of vintage U87s going for $2K each, and another for $2200. I’ve also seen them higher than that.

    I think that fear is why I never get rid of anything. But for some reason my stuff just depreciates to zero. Hmmmmm.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    November 20, 2009 at 8:48 pm in reply to: voiceover industry – questions

    [Ty Ford] “There’s a melody and rhythm to most scripts.”

    [Ty Ford] “…when the script has gone though too many lawyers and middle managers.”

    I think Ty hit the nail on the head there, those bad overworked scripts are what separates the men from the boys. A good voiceover artist can perform a great script and sound pretty darn good. But a great voiceover artist can read the phone book and make you cry. And make it sound like a story.

    I think that’s why Hal Riney was so successful at it… because Hal was an ubersuccessful ad guy himself, and personally wrote many of the scripts that he performed. He knew how to sound his best, and knew how to write for his own voice. I still smile as Hal’s inspiration lives on every week during Tim Russell’s “Ketchup Advisory Board” segments on “A Prarie Home Companion” (“These are the good times, for Marge and me…”). Tim really nails it.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    November 20, 2009 at 8:15 pm in reply to: voiceover industry – questions

    [Ty Ford] “Please tell me which Neumann costs $5k.”

    Wasn’t sure since it has been so long since I looked at them, so I looked ’em up… the new Neumanns I found range from about $700 to $13K+.

    In the “Over $5K” category…

    M149……. $5K
    RSM191AS……. $5,300
    USM69iMT……. $5600
    RSM191……. $6K
    USM69i……. $6K
    USM69iMT……. $6K
    TLM50-S……. $5,700
    M150……. $6400
    SolutionD……. $13,300

    Now, not all those are good choices for VO mics (one or two are shotguns, and one or two are stereo mics), but that’s a quick look at the higher-priced Neumanns.

    Older Neumanns also command huge prices on the used market.

    Great mics, but definitely cheaper options out there that will serve just as well.

    Funny story that I read or heard… I can’t remember which: Audio guy finds one of the super-sweet vintage 20-year-old Neumanns on line at an unheard-of low price and buys it. It was something like a U87i or one of those really sought-after Neumanns. He waits and waits, but delivery seems to be taking forever. He mentions this to somone in his office who says “Oh, that came. I opened the box but the mic looked like it had a couple of scratches on it. I sent it back with a note telling them not to try to pass off a used mic, we’d want a new one.”

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

Page 295 of 402

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy