Simon Ubsdell
Forum Replies Created
-
[Charlie Austin] “[Simon Ubsdell] ” it encodes accidental relationships created without intention.”
That’s the best part! Keeps you on your toes. ;-)”
Indeed!!
I was just making the point that X’s clip connections encode editor intentions in only quite a mild sense – only some of the clip connections actually relate to conscious decisions on our part.
It’s not yet reading your mind. That comes in the next update 😉
Seriously though, you do sometimes (and sometimes often) have to reassign clip connections because they are actively not reflecting what you you had in mind. Not a criticism, just as observation.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
[Walter Soyka] “It’s hierarchical, so it’s different than traditional, absolute, open timelines, but the parent/child relationships that clips can have to each other encodes a bit of editorial intent in a way that’s not possible when the data structure simply places clips in absolute time.”
Strictly speaking it sometimes encodes actual editorial intent but at other times (many) it encodes accidental relationships created without intention.
I think …
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
[Franz Bieberkopf] “if your point is about the value of widely used software”
I wasn’t making any point at all about value, sorry if it came across as though I was.
I’m entirely agnostic here 😉
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
[Franz Bieberkopf] “This is an absurd statement that comes across as grandly myopic.”
It’s called comic exaggeration for rhetorical effect. Apologies for being flippant.
My point was simply that volume of sales and market share in the professional NLE arena don’t necessarily correlate.
I suspect on no reliable grounds that FCP X has had huge sales to the wider population – a population that is vaster by many magnitudes than the tiny professional editing community – that don’t necessarily reflect its penetration or lack of it in the professional market.
That’s all.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
[Craig Seeman] “Unlike Sony, it would seem Apple is much more highly motivated since FCPX use can be a factor in Mac sales and allegiance.”
Absolutely – Sony’s inability to market many of their potentially world-beating products is now the stuff of legend.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
February 1, 2014 at 6:55 pm in reply to: Step away from the Apple Keyer now! (And build a better one of your own.)[Walter Soyka] “I think the fact that Apple has an offering like Core Image is probably more important than whether it’s good. This might sound familiar, but I see it as a case of high floor, low ceiling. The developers who want something quick and easy will use it, but the developers who really care about image processing will write their own anyway.”
Yes, indeed, there’s nothing wrong with Core Image itself. My point was rather about the quality of some of the units that Apple built and which form an intrinsic part of the architecture of both Motion and FCP X.
Writing your own Core Image kernels is definitely the way to go. In fact I’ve spent an interesting afternoon speculatively building my ideal (Color Difference) keyer in Quartz Composer and as so often I found it’s easier and better to write your own custom kernels.
It’s interesting to hear you’re getting into Vuo – I’ve keeping a watchful eye and it looks very promising.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
January 30, 2014 at 5:12 pm in reply to: Step away from the Apple Keyer now! (And build a better one of your own.)[Walter Soyka] “I disagree a bit here. I’ve been on beta teams for a range of different developers and products, and the problems with the keyer are exactly the sort of thing that should get picked up right away in real world projects. “
I’d say that you are a pretty abnormally perceptive, diligent and talented beta tester so your experience might not be typical 😉
[Walter Soyka] “It’s not corner cases where the keyer fails. It’s corner cases where it succeeds! If you have anyone testing the keyer in the real world, these problems should be obvious.”
That’s pretty harsh! But fair. What really amazes me is that it even went out to beta testing in this form. Does no-one on the development team know how to evaluate this stuff properly?
[Walter Soyka] “If this wasn’t caught by a tester, Apple is operating a near-useless beta program. But if this was caught by a tester, then Apple is compounding ignorance during development with apathy to real-world testing.”
That’s really harsh! But it’s very hard to sketch out any scenario that justifies what we’re seeing here.
I’d be interested to see what you think about how this reflects on the rest of Apple’s image processing offerings for pro video. What does it say about them that they either let this stuff go, or (worse?) they aren’t able to detect that it’s no good enough in the first place?
There are certainly a few obvious Core Image units that are pretty iffy, to say the least …
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
January 29, 2014 at 7:29 pm in reply to: Step away from the Apple Keyer now! (And build a better one of your own.)[Shawn Miller] “I think it’s just as possible that edge refinement wasn’t part of the spec to begin with… “
Sorry, Shawn – I think I may have not made it clear what I was talking about here. This is looping back to an earlier thread where we were talking about how the lightwrap makes a complete mess of the edges of your image because the blur operation hasn’t been set up correctly:
https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/64474
Here’s the screen grab I posted again to make it clear what we were talking about:
So, nothing as “complicated” or demanding as edge control.
Just a complete hash made of a feature they did decide to implement.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
January 29, 2014 at 3:48 pm in reply to: Step away from the Apple Keyer now! (And build a better one of your own.)[Jeremy Garchow] “Of course I’d fix it, and it would keep me up at night.
Maybe Apple doesn’t care becuase you, Bret, and I are the only people who do. Everyone else seems pleased.
So, what does that say about us??? ;)”
Haha. Yes, it’s worrying to be the kind of person that worries about such stuff 😉
Won’t get us a job at Apple, though.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
January 29, 2014 at 2:03 pm in reply to: Step away from the Apple Keyer now! (And build a better one of your own.)[Jeremy Garchow] “I have no idea what it takes to develop something like fcpx. As a whole, and not drilled down to one effect, I don’t think it’s necessarily easy. “
There is a danger of talking about building an NLE as if it were the summit of all human endeavour. There are more complicated things that people have managed to achieve in far smaller time frames and with far more limited financial resources!
[Jeremy Garchow] “Any one of us could spin it another way where Joe is waiting on some sort of update to apply better blur strategies.”
I think it would be pretty hard to claim something like that – this is probably one of the most basic image processing functions there is and any and all issues surrounding it are well known. But I could be wrong.
[Jeremy Garchow] “Apple could fix the keyer, I’m sure they have the capability. Why they haven’t is a mystery. “
Let’s ask the question a different way. Supposing you had left a flash frame in one of your projects and it had gone live, would you not do everything you could to fix it? Even if no-one else knew it was there.
Isn’t that what makes you a professional? Your pride in your work and your determination to make sure it is as entirely free from errors as you can make it.
Either Apple can’t spot the flash frame (very bad) or they know that the flash frame is there and they just don’t care (very, very bad).
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com
