Forum Replies Created

Page 137 of 285
  • Simon Ubsdell

    February 14, 2014 at 11:03 pm in reply to: FCP X and Premiere Pro CS

    [Andy Neil] “the replace edit will time out to the length you choose in the browser”

    What if you don’t want this behavior? In my experience I want the opposite result virtually all the time.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    February 12, 2014 at 10:37 pm in reply to: Anyone use Xto7 App recently? Is it better now?

    [Bret Williams] “And the pro-tools session went off without a hitch.”

    Agreed. Much as I like X2Pro I often find that Xto7 is the most dependable way of getting into ProTools.

    And I would reiterate the importance of getting back to the developers with any issues you may have. Their response to bugs is the very best part of an outstandingly good product.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    February 12, 2014 at 10:27 pm in reply to: Anyone use Xto7 App recently? Is it better now?

    It’s a really great product and getting better all the time!

    And if there’s anything you find doesn’t work let the guys at Intelligent Assistance know – they are amazingly quick at responding with bug fixes.

    Can’t recommend this highly enough and I’m sure I’m not alone.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    February 12, 2014 at 6:49 pm in reply to: FCP X destroys my audio

    Sounds nasty.

    Are all the music cues WAVs as well?

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    February 11, 2014 at 7:51 pm in reply to: How do Drop Zones work in 10.1?

    Hi Nick

    Yes, that does seem like a simple and efficient solution – and one that gives reliable results. Thanks for sharing.

    Many thanks.

    S.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • [Brett Sherman] “My workflow is that I put a clip above the Motion Template in the timeline. Get it to the right length. Then I make a compound clip out of it. Then I navigate to the compound clip in the event and select that as the drop-zone clip.”

    Do you find that the method I suggested doesn’t work?

    I find that I can “put a clip above {or below} the Motion Template in the timeline. Get it to the right length” and then all I have to do is select the clip from the timeline.

    I can then just hide the clip so it’s ready to hand if I want to make a quick adjustment. Or if I prefer I can delete the clip – and the selection stays.

    Or are you saying that you have had issues with this? Which I can well believe.

    I’d have thought it’s a bit easier than your compound clip route – although there have been times in the past where compounding was the only safe option.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Hi Bret and Brett

    I am having “good” results if I edit my drop zone clip into the timeline above (or below) where I want it to go and selecting from there.

    That might be easier overall than trying to do it from the Browser.

    But it’s entirely likely that I’m wrong yet again.

    The only thing I have learned in this life is not to rely on Drop Zones behaving consistently.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    February 9, 2014 at 2:14 pm in reply to: How do Drop Zones work in 10.1?

    [Bret Williams] “So it’s near ridiculously hard to get what you want.”

    Many thanks for pursuing this, Bret. I feel your pain. This is so frustrating.

    I used to spend hours every few months trying to work out what Apple had done with this, given that with each new version they seemed to have changed their minds completely about how it should work. (I even tried to maintain regular updates as the the current status on another forum that shall remain nameless here but eventually gave it up as a bad job.)

    As you say, the current system seems entirely unworkable. At least when we could pick from a clip edited into the timeline there was a measure of precise control, even if it was a bit clunky. There was a point at which selecting from a compound clip would work too, if I remember correctly. Going back (?) to a browser-based solution doesn’t seem to have helped at all.

    One huge irritation that I encountered at one point, which made testing a nightmare, was that everything seemed to be working fine within FCP X itself but when you exported you got a completely different result.

    I guess not that many people apart from you and me have tried to analyse this very much, but if anybody is frustrated with the current implementation, please do take the time to submit feedback.

    Apple really can’t go on like this, chopping and changing and never settling on a system that works. At the very least they owe us a clear set of instructions as to the current state of play at any one time.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    February 7, 2014 at 9:09 pm in reply to: How do Drop Zones work in 10.1?

    Thanks very much, Bret. I do remember you asking more or less this question a while back.

    I did notice that your technique seemed to work at the time. Does it still work the same way in 10.1?

    Does the technique of selecting a clip from the timeline no longer work, do we know? It used to be the one failsafe method, but now it seems it’s a browser based solution instead.

    I guess I’m hoping for a census here as regards user perception of this feature. It take it from your response that you’re probably not 100% confident about the approved method – not least because it’s not documented.

    I’m guessing a lot of users were probably unaware of the problem that the 10.0.8 bug fix resolved, for example. I think I’d given up on Drop Zones before the point at which that bug became apparent.

    Is there anybody who is completely sure that they know how it works?

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

  • [Walter Soyka] “Even more curious. Did they fix the bug on purpose, and just miss or ignore everything else? Or did they fix it accidentally?”

    It is very curious – I can’t work out what that gap came to be there in pre-10.1 versions although it doesn’t seem to be connected after all to the blur problem evidenced in the soften/erode/lightwrap issue which is of course unresolved.

    [Walter Soyka] “Hasn’t it been ever thus with Apple? Fanatic attention to detail over the user experience, maybe sometimes at the expense of attention to the boring bits?”

    They will have many floors full of people agonising over the roundedness of corners in the interface, but it’s still just the one man and his dog working this stuff to all appearances.

    And most days it’s just the dog manning the shop.

    Simon Ubsdell
    http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Page 137 of 285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy