Forum Replies Created

Page 124 of 285
  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 22, 2014 at 10:16 am in reply to: weird shoes, FCPX, and the sheep barn.

    [Aindreas Gallagher] “Try it simon. you know the tilde thing from AE timelines anyway.”

    Sorry, just messing with you. It’s just that you’ve mentioned the breathtaking excitement of using the tilde key about a hundred times so far 😉 Not that it isn’t great – I really like it in this context (as of course in Ae too).

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 21, 2014 at 10:20 pm in reply to: weird shoes, FCPX, and the sheep barn.

    I know you’re quite liking Premiere but tell us honestly what do you reckon to that tilde key shortcut?

    Have you tried it yet?

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 21, 2014 at 8:04 pm in reply to: Oh dear, we will switch to fcpx!

    [Andrew Kimery] “On previous gigs I’ve done a lot of shot replacement (show was mostly stock footage) and while I used the gang sync in Avid I also toggled source/record to A/B on the external monitor for shots that were had to tell side by side (like wide shots of oceans).”

    For various reasons, some of which I can’t quite put my finger on, this job seems to be far smoother to do in Media Composer than anything else. The tools always seem to be just there where you need them … and MC is definitely not my favourite NLE generally.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 21, 2014 at 6:59 pm in reply to: Oh dear, we will switch to fcpx!

    [Charlie Austin] “Actually, I find the single viewer quite handy for this. Find a frame and toggle the view using CMD-1&2. Easier than 2 side by side views.”

    I see what you’re saying and that’s a handy tip, but I often find it’s a case of, “yes, that looks like a match on that frame, but what’s it like if I step back through the shot, are we still in sync?” And often enough it’s not quite as in sync as you’d have hoped …

    And that’s where not having Gang Sync makes it awkward because you don’t have that instant feedback as to whether the whole shot is in fact in sync or whether you’ve messed up with your first instinct.

    But of course you doubtless never mess up and it’s just me …

    😉

    (I ought to be better at it – when I started out I was still eye-matching on film.)

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 21, 2014 at 6:13 pm in reply to: Oh dear, we will switch to fcpx!

    [Richard Herd] “Please discuss Gang Sync and how you use it…maybe it’s a question more for art of the edit forum, and not this one.”

    You will be disappointed if you wanted to hear about a new creative editing technique from me here.

    The reason I need it is for the very mundane task of eye-matching (which also relates to my need for genuine replace edit).

    (Eye-matching is required when you’re trying to replace one set of source shots with another (usually of higher quality than the original) and you can’t do it with matching (or even offset) timecode. It’s very common in the VFX world and it’s a pretty hefty job if you have to do it. I sometimes have to do VFX replacement but more often it’s swapping out one version of a feature film for another when cutting trailers and promos – Charlie Austin can testify to having to do this job as well and it’s far less occasional than one would like, but it has to be done. On top of that, it very often needs to be done in a screaming rush with a monstrous deadline breathing down your neck, so it’s no fun in any way and it really doesn’t allow for workarounds. You need the tools you need and that’s that.)

    If you’re trying to eye match a scene where there is very little movement it’s a huge help to be able to lock the source and the timeline together using Gang Sync and step back and forwards to make sure the sync point you think you’ve found is indeed the correct one.

    Not very glamorous, I know, but there you have it.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 20, 2014 at 9:42 am in reply to: Oh dear, we will switch to fcpx!

    [Bill Davis] “I freely admit that SOME editors need things that X does not provide. I’ve actually ALWAYS acknowledged that.”

    Fair enough – sorry to have misrepresented what you were saying. We don’t disagree.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 19, 2014 at 10:12 pm in reply to: Oh dear, we will switch to fcpx!

    [Charlie Austin] “Eschew obfuscation. :-)”

    Oh, right – you mean talk proper?

    Got you.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 19, 2014 at 10:05 pm in reply to: Oh dear, we will switch to fcpx!

    [Bill Davis] “But the truth is probably that an editors “needs” are not confined to keystroke combinations or timeline structures. They’re also about how they’ve learned to think about editing. And the way they are forced to edit based on THIS project or circumstance. And we all think about this stuff somewhat differently. “

    There are quirks in how we all like to edit.

    And then there are tools that some of us actually do really need in order to carry out certain clearly defined and frequently recurring tasks.

    I think you are perhaps eliding the two considerations here as though they are part of the same continuum.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 19, 2014 at 5:59 pm in reply to: Oh dear, we will switch to fcpx!

    [Charlie Austin] “Half an hour?! Luxury! (in heavy Yorkshire accent) lol”

    “And you try and tell the young people of today that ….. they won’t believe you.” 😉

    [Charlie Austin] “A 3 step workaround for what should be a keystroke like other replace functions is… less than ideal…”

    It’s the dissolves and any other transitions that really make it a pain – that and the lack of gang sync when you’re looking for a really tricky eye match.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

  • Simon Ubsdell

    July 19, 2014 at 5:40 pm in reply to: Oh dear, we will switch to fcpx!

    [Erik Lindahl] “That’s sadly an extremely inefficient way of dealing with things and requires using mouse over on a specific item.”

    Yes, it’s not a particularly nicely implemented feature, that’s for sure – especially for those of us who dislike mousing.

    Simon Ubsdell
    tokyo-uk.com

Page 124 of 285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy