Forum Replies Created
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “I would think, from what sounds like direct Apple interaction, that extensions would be a healthy part of the discussion.”
I was referring to the X2Pro direct export thing.
[Jeremy Garchow] “It’s under the “Help” menu in both the website and X2Pro app.”
I’m officially going blind.
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
Robin S. kurz
January 12, 2015 at 5:58 pm in reply to: The exponential greatness of multicam in FCPX[Oliver Peters] “When you are cutting mcam, you want to use only the audio from Cam A throughout the timeline.”
Which it is, if I only edit the video. Or even multiple audio tracks.
[Oliver Peters] “With X, you’d have to apply that filter to every audio clip, since there are no track-based audio effects. “
Why wouldn’t you do that in the angle editor? Apply to one clip, affect every instance.
[Oliver Peters] “It’s not universally true that mcam clips are correctly translated.”
I don’t know about “universally”, but all the—to me—relevant apps are fine. Where are you seeing issues?
[Oliver Peters] “But it’s also because right now mcam in X seems like an unfinished feature. You have collapse with auditions and break apart with compounds. Similar functions should be there for mcam containers.”
Agreed. Seems odd that you can do it with Auditions (which were there from the start) but not with mcams where the basic concept is pretty much the same, yes. But again, other than for housekeeping reasons I’ve personally never felt I needed it. But something tells me it’ll show up soon. Seems a given. We’ll see.
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
[Jeremy Garchow] “they talk about that even with the new extensions”
Actually I don’t see any mention of Extensions anywhere. In neither post relevant to the matter (nor in the comments). What am I missing? But either way, I’m pretty sure that Panic of all people will know about them and have good reason’s for why they won’t solve their issues. Bummers. That’s pretty much the textbook kind of case I would have hoped and thought would be remedied with Extensions. As well as make for a Send to style option for all kinds of apps (in particular Apple’s own of course) in FCP… but who knows what’s cookin’ for the next update. And I’m no dev, so I have no idea to what degree that is even possible the way one would want/need it.
[Jeremy Garchow] “It’s easy, you set x2pro as the “open with” app on a duped share master file preset. A dialog box comes up that says “looking for helper application” or something similar. X2Pro opens grabs an XML from fcpx, and waits for further action. It works well.”
Ah… very cool. Thanks. That’s actually the way I considered doing it! But figured I’d just be getting a movie file, not an XML. I’ll have to give it a shot. Cheers.
Very odd that I couldn’t Google anything on the matter nor find anything of any real value on their site. It’s very minimalistic to say the least. If anything is actually there, I sure couldn’t find it. I can’t even remember where I even read of it to begin with. 😀
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
Robin S. kurz
January 12, 2015 at 1:32 pm in reply to: The exponential greatness of multicam in FCPX[Oliver Peters] “1) the fact that audio gets cut with every edit (you have to detach/connect if you want one clean track of audio)”
Not sure I understand. If your audio is not to be edited with the picture, then why is it in the multicam to begin with and not simply connected in the project? If I change anything to the edit, the audio—that I’m assuming is and needs to be synced to the picture, which is why it’s in the multicam?—is edited accordingly. How could that be considered bothersome? Multicam clips adhere 100% to every other type of clip in the project in terms of edibility (i.e. L and J cuts etc.). So I would think that if that irked you with multi cams, it should irk you the exact same with any other clip, no?
[Oliver Peters] “2) you cannot collapse the mcam clips once you are done.”
I’m curious when you need this? It’d be fine if and when they add that, but I don’t remember actually ever missing it in X. In 7 it had to be possible since multi cams bogged down 7’s performance massively until you collapsed them. But in X there’s no comparable performance hit that I’ve seen (assuming you have closed the camera window that is). And seeing that Resolve, X2Pro and others have no problem dealing with multi cams on export/import, why do you feel you need this? Just for “housekeeping” reasons? 🙂
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
Robin S. kurz
January 12, 2015 at 10:32 am in reply to: The exponential greatness of multicam in FCPX[James Ewart] “I had no idea you could not duplicate a Multicam project and not make changes without it affecting the original. “
You can, and should of course in a case like that, since you’re *always* working with the master when you make any changes to it. Mind you, within the angle editor. Changes to it in the project won’t of course effect any other instances of the MC elsewhere. But, yes, that’s what the “Reference New Parent Clip” command in the Clip menu is for, which essentially duplicates the selected MC in the Event and replaces it in the project. The exact same goes for compound clips btw.
Tip: notice the displayed path at the top of the project window when you open either a multicam or compound. It will always start in the EVENT, not the project.
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
[Jeremy Garchow] “Is Apple security going to allow sandboxed to sandboxed operations at some point? “
That’s actually what the new “Extensions” in Yosemite are (more or less) for, yes. Essentially the same functionality as what you see in iOS 8. I’m surprised how FEW have actually taken advantage of this in OS X so far.
[Jeremy Garchow] “Also, with X2Pro now, you can set an FCPX output to X2Pro, which automatically launches x2pro which then grabs an fcpxml from FCPX and imports it in to x2pro.”
I read about this, but have yet to figure out how this works. Meh. But it’s apparently (from what I can see) not via an extension, so until I can figure how it’s even done, I couldn’t tell you what they’re using. Because theoretically speaking it would be crime against sandboxing, but then it wouldn’t be allowed into the MAS.
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
[Herb Sevush] “nothing relating to editing is OT on this thread”
I think maybe you need to differentiate between thread and forum. As far as the latter is concerned I’d most certainly agree.
[Herb Sevush] “So please, enlighten me.”
Sure. The trial version is free and there are endless resources on the subject to be had on the interwebs. Not something I need or care to do, thank you. Aside from that being entire OT as far as this thread is concerned, as I said.
If you want to disagree based upon actual knowledge on the subject, that’s certainly your prerogative.
– RK
-
[Herb Sevush] “Yes.”
No. Because what he describes doesn’t apply to the “problem” at hand. As he said, bad (i.e. non-applicable) example, sorry. Multicam is an entirely different subject on its own. Something I’d say X does exponentially better than any other NLE on the market btw. But that, too, is entirely OT.
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich! -
[James Ewart] “Wouldn’t it be dull and actually useless if all anybody did here was blow smoke up Apple’s arse and sing the praises of FCPX”
Huh?? Where is anybody doing that? And how do polemic retorts that are merely based on personal bias and not based in any actual experience or knowledge of the topic at hand contribute to any type of constructive discussion?
Spoiler: it doesn’t. Some would in fact simply call that “trolling”.
But hey, if it does, I’ll be sure to subscribe to all the NLE forums that I know nothing about (other than maybe a few screenshots and/or YouTube videos) and tell everyone there what a useless piece of crap they’re using. Because, you know, *I* don’t need/like/get it. What other measure or “truth” could there be?
Should be fun, no doubt.
– RK
-
[John Rofrano] “the show was largely a demo of painting and long dissolves between angle shots of a particular technique always had the audio dialog disconnected.”
But again, that’s not really what we’re talking about. That audio won’t have come in synched to the video, would it? Once we’re talking about disconnected audio—which clearly makes sense in the case you describe—then it’s out of the discussion in this context. It’s autonomous. And at the same time practically no difference to how any other NLE would deal with it (and it’s fades).
– RK
____________________________________________________
Deutsch? Hier gibt es ein umfassendes FCP X Training für dich!