Forum Replies Created

Page 110 of 196
  • Joseph Owens

    October 18, 2012 at 11:25 pm in reply to: importing batch list to compressor

    [diego delanoe] “I want to do a batch list from the clips that were actually used and leave off the rest, then import that batch list and re-encode the original clips at prores 444 “

    This sounds like a Media Manage, take clips offline and re-import using the codec you wish. However, with the Canon DSLR source media, ProRes 4444 is actually a bigger waste of time and disk space than you are anticipating.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 18, 2012 at 11:11 pm in reply to: New Xeons for next year

    [Herb Sevush] “Brigadoon (once every hundred years)”

    LOLZ.

    Brigadoon (the movie, 1954) is a standing joke in my family. (All star cast. Budget. Minelli. All That Plaid. Turkey.)

    Anyway, I’m in despair watching the Yankees go down… see? step 3 already and its only the bottom of the 6th. Just like the 2013 “something special”.

    With zero zippo nada nil zilcherama consultation, sure its what we’re all waiting around for with bated breath. Apple knows where the puck is going, right? (Errr… except when the players are locked out, I guess.) See the Samsung commercials — Especially think: the “headphone plug will be on the bottom — (boom *blows my mind*) nitwit waiting for the next big errrr… i-thingy. Can think of dozens of “improvements” that no one is asking for that will make the systems unuseable. Something magnetic? Something that limits all that “guesswork” and “ambiguity” that just drives us simple-minded folk crazy… so sure, Apple will just decide for us we don’t need that anymore. Especially all those $6-$7K GPU expanders a lot of us now own in the vain attempt to row upstream from the waterfalls.

    You know, I think its great I’ve got this iPad with MLB.tv running — its just like a transistor radio with pictures. The quad split view is great, reminds me of working in the truck. This novelty is a great boon to personal entertainment. Maybe Apple should really concentrate its efforts there and just surrender to the hypocrisy of all that smug “I’m a Mac’ (and noticeably superior) bs. Yeah, they were funny, but now that Hodgman is running circles around Justin Long, the laughs are harder to come by. I’m just waiting for Microsoft to pick up on that idea. That would be “something special”.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm in reply to: vintage da vinci download

    I also keep a stockpile of downloaded dmgs in an archive folder…

    I still have old builds of Final Touch…

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • [Ronen Pestes] “Teach a man to fish …””

    …. and he will waste the entire day in a boat, drinking beer.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • [Michael Holmes] “Anybody like Encore CS6 for creating Blu-ray videos?”

    Yes I do.

    It also handles subtitles much better than DVD Studio Pro. I also invested quite a bit of time in sorting out that release versions of BluRay disks play more reliably if you render out a .img from Encore and then use Titanium to burn and confirm the physical disks.

    Making .m2v stream compressions is also a good idea, not trusting the algorithms used by the authoring applications.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm in reply to: Mountain Lion upgrade won’t let me export from FCP

    [Herb Sevush] ” Just a little “upgrade paranoia.””

    Just a little. Yeesh.

    Did you do an “overlay” upgrade or a “clear the decks, build from scratch, reinstall everything” upgrade?

    Personally, I cringe when I think of all the time that would take plus re-downloading all the software versions to get back to status quo.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm in reply to: DNxHD in Resolve

    [Adam Claude Jones] “Could I use Resolve for that?”

    As they say… “yeah, it does that”.

    Re-compression losses would be fairly minimal, these are both fairly robust codecs.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm in reply to: Mac graphics compatibility!!!

    [vashi nedomansky] “2007 Mac Pro Tower 1.1 that is force booted into 64-bit that is running Resolve 9 on 10.6.8 with a
    Nvidia GT 120 and GT 285 and have no issues.”

    Can’t say I’m quite that daring, but I am running R9 nominally in a MacPro3,1 under 10.6.8 force-booted into 64-bit . GUI is a Quadro FX4000, and CUDA is an array of flashed 480’s housed in a Cubix Desktop4.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm in reply to: Need advice on my set up -not sure which cards to use

    [paul schilens] “I spoke with a tech at BM who said that Resolve 9 won’t work with the GTX285.”

    You do realize that Peter is the BMD product manager for Resolve…?

    The configuration guide published on their website is the bible, and then there is this forum which is a rich mine of otherwise undocumented experience.

    As far as hardware investment is concerned, I’m still pretty happy with what they’re recommending and haven’t yet been able to spend the $750,000 or so that a daVinci grading solution like 2K+ cost. That didn’t have the capabilities of Resolve 9.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    October 9, 2012 at 7:38 pm in reply to: best codec from Windows?

    I’d be tempted to export a jpg sequence. TIFF or dpx would be better but larger.

    All along, I was thinking ProRes 4444 for RGB, but then you said Windows. Oh.

    And DVCProHD should be…. 1440×1080? And in FCP you check the anamorphic flag in sequence settings.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

Page 110 of 196

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy