Forum Replies Created

Page 102 of 196
  • Joseph Owens

    January 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm in reply to: eeColor LUT box better than Black Magic for $700

    [Robert Ruffo] “Since eeColor takes HDMI as input, it can correct DVI signals too (DVI>HDMI convertor is about $5).”

    Interesting. Why would you not use the HDMI-out from the Blackmagic Decklink? Purely a 10-bit issue?

    And the HDLink is not entirely useless… it does an okay Dual-Link/Single Link conversion, and it disembeds audio from SDI to 6 channels, so a surround stream can be monitored straight from tape.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    January 4, 2013 at 11:25 pm in reply to: 720P60 in MXF wrapper

    Thanks, Juan…

    The editor is going to massage them, as there are timeline speed changes on them, too.

    Happy New Year!

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    January 3, 2013 at 10:01 pm in reply to: Grading DPX Log Files

    [Mike Most] “the answer to your question – at least I think the answer to your question – is that the controls in Resolve are designed to be used with “standard,” Cineon type log curves and their use with other gamma curves is not impossible, but it is not what they were designed for. “

    Thanks for that. It explains a lot. I did run some experiments this morning after posing the question, and although there is the facility to establish a different response, the net difference was almost nil. I have worked with PanaLog, and this particular project started getting that feel to it; the difference being that the Panalog project was a Sony shoot, recorded on SR Dual-Link, so the digitization was worlds ahead of Canon’s skeletal remains.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    January 3, 2013 at 9:53 pm in reply to: Jump to specific timecode in timeline?

    [Gustavo Bermudas] “Are colorist going the way the dinosaur went?”

    Someone who describes themselves as a “colorist” in a one-trick-pony-sense is going to find it tougher to justify filling such a narrow niche. We are all becoming tracker/roto/composite extensions… and I came to color from an editorial stream anyway…

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    January 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm in reply to: Grading DPX Log Files

    Mike, does this, or would this help with what are otherwise linear files that have been “locked” that way in a Quicktime .mov but were exported straight from, for example, Log-C Canon where blacks/whites are showing up between 30-80 IRE? Seems like the 8-bit XDCam wrapper that most assistants default to really defeats the whole purpose… or does the pivot help to ameliorate the “ripping apart” phenomenon?

    Or is this only of benefit in a 10-bit (or better) RGB environment?

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    January 3, 2013 at 6:33 pm in reply to: Panasonic Plasma for TV-reference

    [Austin Ray] “It has been very good for a long time, but has turned all red-ish and can not be corrected in the consumer menu. Is there anything I can do to correct this?”

    Not at the monitor. Best you can hope for at this point is to create an output LUT specifically for that monitor… and it will continue to drift.

    See other comments from the past couple of months on the use of Plasma monitors in the grade suite. Not positive.

    The gist is that all plasma monitors exhibit internal dynamic contrast making them unsuitable for grade.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • We’ve been “baking out” clips that have this behaviour since the dawn of Silicon Color Final Touch.

    Resolve saves its project files in a database and is one of those things that generally doesn’t have any “user serviceable parts” inside. The new manual talks about setting up the project file storage in two optional manners — the old database and disk-based, which may allow you to designate a specific path. This is mostly useful for importing NLE interchange files such as XML, AAF, and EDLs. As I wrote previously, you can always “export” a version wherever you want, as backups.

    Resizing the “window” of Resolve Lite is a bit ambiguous, since the User Interface itself is a collection of windows which can be re-sized in a number of ways… dragging the boundaries between the preview, galleries and node display, for example, switching into Cinema Viewer or Enhanced Viewer… expanding and contracting the keyframe window… all described in the manual.

    Also refer to the configuration guide for advice on running the application on sub-standard devices (unapproved GPUs, low-resolution displays, etc.).

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    January 3, 2013 at 5:14 pm in reply to: How to start tracking?

    [Charlie Chang] “How do I start tracking when his face starts to come into the shot?”

    You can initiate tracking either forwards or backwards at any frame. I’d start near the end of the clip and track backwards and let the window go out of the frame… you may have to resort to the override mode and filter out tracking points that cause the shape to go non-linear as the control image goes out of the active raster. This will always be a shortcoming of point-trackers.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    January 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm in reply to: Grading DPX Log Files

    [Gray Marshall] “Resolve seems to be very much “about” the digital-origination formats,”

    Very much so.

    Renaissance/8:8:8, 2K, 2K+… were about telecine and the naturally-log performance of OCN in the gate of a scanning device. Resolve was more or less shelved about 5 years ago, which was probably a mistake and led to the company’s latest difficulties with the resulting change in controlling interest. At least that’s my take, reading the various press releases… it was not a product with a future in the old daVinci organization. But then film died. And so it goes. Poo-tee-weet.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

  • Joseph Owens

    January 3, 2013 at 4:45 pm in reply to: Jump to specific timecode in timeline?

    [Mel Matsuoka] “I have a set of Tangent CP200s that’s now collecting dust on my shelf because Tangent *cannot* support these panels with Resolve, even though Tangent Devices has explicitly stated that they want to be able to support them. “

    Same here. I considered Speedgrade, which does support the CP200 series, but as it does not have a third-party external output option, I see that application as a non-starter. Perhaps if Adobe can somehow navigate around tying itself to one nVidia GPU-type it will become a contender.

    As wonderful as Resolve is, and carries the *”DaVinci”* cachet, there are some things it does well, some things it does passably well, some not at all… What it did in spades was obsolete $20,000 worth of control panels. Even if I can forgive and write-off/forget, my bank manager doesn’t, my landlord doesn’t, Canada Revenue doesn’t, EPCOR doesn’t, ShawCable doesn’t, the registrar at NYU doesn’t…

    I do get it… yes, Tangent can figure out how to get both the ethernet and USB panels to work with APPLE “COLOR”, for example, with a unified bridge that allows custom mapping, but you can take it to the bank (at least for the last 6 years with few exceptions) that if a manufacturer states that they are *working with other suppliers to establish compatibility or operability* (if they have their own proprietary offering) that it. ain’t. going. to. happen.

    jPo

    “I always pass on free advice — its never of any use to me” Oscar Wilde.

Page 102 of 196

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy