Forum Replies Created

Page 166 of 255
  • Jeff Pulera

    August 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm in reply to: Correct Workflows with Premiere and Apple ProRes

    I notice that your first Sequence setting uses Upper Field First, which is correct for 1080i, but the second Sequence is set to Progressive. I believe that even if your Sony camera is set to record in 1080p, it wraps that in a 60i format, so you should be editing as 1080i UFF most likely.

    As for Preview render format, I don’t think that’s a big deal – when you go to do the output using AME, there is a box at the bottom that says “Use Previews”. Leave that UN-checked, and your final output will be rendered direct from the original timeline without using any intermediate codecs/renders that would degrade the quality.

    Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

  • Jeff Pulera

    August 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm in reply to: CS6 Encore will not burn bluray discs

    Hi Rex,

    Did you update Encore? I believe there is a 6.0.1 patch for bug fixes, maybe it will help

  • Hi,

    I always see the same behavior, you must hit the PREV button twice in rapid succession. No different than the CD player in my car, hit it once and it goes back to beginning of song, have to hit it twice to hear previous song. PREV goes to the LAST (nearest) chapter mark, not the one before that.

    Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

  • Jeff Pulera

    August 6, 2012 at 7:37 pm in reply to: Purpose of ‘Black Video’ in CS4

    Never a good idea to have any gaps in the timeline! I had to troubleshoot for one customer who was having trouble with H.264 exports with CS5.5 – he would export his entire timeline, but when playing back the file, the video would freeze at a certain point. Turns out the project wasn’t finished and while the audio was complete, there were “holes” in the video, and that is exactly where the freeze would happen.

    Use the Black Video 😉

    Thanks

    Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

  • Jeff Pulera

    August 6, 2012 at 7:12 pm in reply to: Beta, VHS and DVCPro conversion

    Hi Lillian,

    Vince is correct that uncompressed will of course provide the best quality. That said, we don’t know what your system specs are and if they would handle uncompressed storage and editing.

    Is this project for broadcast? Do you have a capture card for ingest from these formats? Mac or PC?

    There are reasonably-priced options from BlackMagic and Matrox, such as Intensity Pro and MXO2 Mini, that will capture from analog sources to compressed and uncompressed formats. Not sure about Intensity, but MXO2 Mini does offer hardware upconversion, so you could capture your 480i sources directly to 1080i files, either uncompressed or compressed formats with 4:2:2 color.

    Thanks

    Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

  • Hi Dylan,

    You are correct that it should not be this difficult, and it is not for 99.9% of users. Obviously, there is either something wrong with the audio clip, your system, or parameters in Premiere.

    Have you tried other sound clips? Do they work? Different project?

    Also, FILL LEFT is not the correct effect – that will take whatever is on the LEFT channel of your stereo clip and put it on BOTH channels. If for some reason your source file is silent on the left channel, FILL LEFT will result in silence on both channels then. FILL RIGHT will duplicate the RIGHT sound to the LEFT channel.

    Thanks

    Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

  • Jeff Pulera

    July 31, 2012 at 6:51 pm in reply to: HD to SD Workflow recommendations

    To elaborate on Michael’s comments about keeping the field order consistent – this is one of the reasons I switched to CS6 recently. I edit in 1080i and have never been thrilled with the end results on DVD, and have tried numerous workarounds and downconversion workflows.

    Encore CS6 now supports UFF for DVDs, so I can edit my 1080i Upper Field First video clips, then export to DVD, keeping UFF throughout the process. Definitely looks better on DVD now. Note that I manually set UFF when creating the MPEG-2 for DVD assets in Adobe Media Encoder. If left to defaults, Adobe will use the standard LFF formatting for DVD.

    Thanks

    Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

  • Jeff Pulera

    July 31, 2012 at 2:16 pm in reply to: HD to SD Workflow recommendations

    Hi Michael,

    You must work in PAL, NTSC DV is absolutely positively LFF

    Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

  • Jeff Pulera

    July 30, 2012 at 3:20 pm in reply to: Pillarboxing??

    Hi Michael,

    I believe starting with CS4, Adobe changed the pixel aspect ratios for SD widescreen video upon request from the BBC, which said Adobe had it wrong. Ever since, HD to SD conversions don’t come out quite right, leaving those little slivers of black on the sides of the encodes.

    As mentioned in the link provided earlier in the thread, there is a cropping solution, you’ll have to find it though, sorry I don’t have that info handy. I just leave the bars and don’t see them when I view my DVDs on the TV.

    Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

  • Jeff Pulera

    July 26, 2012 at 9:09 pm in reply to: HD to SD Workflow recommendations

    Most editing software has a hard time creating a decent looking DVD output from a 1080i source, not just because of the downscaling, but because HD is Upper Field First and SD is Lower Field First.

    I think you’re better off shooting Progressive and keep interlacing out of the equation. That said, can you shoot at 30p? That might be a better starting point than 60p, when converting to a Progressive DVD format.

    Jeff Pulera

Page 166 of 255

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy