I’m glad you brought that up because it’s not something we have discussd here with the current economy.
It’s always been best to specialize at a craft, rather than to be a jack of all trades… until now.
As depression sets in more as a reality to most, belts simply have to be tightened. We are all feeling this right now. Specialists are forced to evolve out of tunnel vision to save their own skins.
I, for example, always saw myself as an editor/animator. It’s not something I put on my reel or resume because I could not afford to cut my salary in half by not being a specialist.
Now, man, I am a producing, shooting, editing, animating, compositing, sound designing fool and it’s my ability to be a one man band production that will allow me to survive to the next economy mend.
…at which time I will not be able to be a specialist anymore. This is what will change in our industry. As companies seek and find more affordable turn-key solutions, they will be educated on quality.. which is often better than the 2 thousand dolalrs a finished minute old school way of thinking. You cannot explain these things to old check-writers, they have to be shown and that is what is happening with our economy now. When things start getting more fluid, they will NOT go back to their old ways of reckless spending, at least not in our category. They will have learned otherwise and will have new talent pools. If you don’t place yourself in these veritile pools right now, you will not be in this industry 2 years from now.
My ability to be a one man band production unit is now my saving-grace, not a salary cap. We all will have to utilize all of our talents to make it to the next peak of this peak and vally timeline.
