Floh Peters
Forum Replies Created
-
Floh Peters
September 6, 2007 at 8:54 pm in reply to: Floh. System slow, and looking for media that is alreday there.[Tevan] “Judging from this problem, it is safe to say that Media 100i 8.2.3a on a Dual 1.42 GHz Power PC G4 does not run smooth if you have media in one folder over 820GB. It seems like Medai 100 should have given us the heads up on this? Have you ever encountered this problem before? How does the Media 100 HD systems fare under the same situation?
“Usually I don
-
Floh Peters
September 6, 2007 at 5:45 am in reply to: Floh. System slow, and looking for media that is alreday there.[Tevan] “2. Tried to digitize to a bin and received a “can not add to bin due to parameter error” message. The bin had about 900 clips in it. Is there a limit for clips per bin? I opened a new bin and digitized to the new bin successfully. “
Not sure about that, but of course it can be possible.
[Tevan] “3. Shut down normally. Started up and received the “media search” window looking to link footage even though I have not moved or deleted anything. Media search finds media and re-links everything correctly. I saved the programs, bins, and project with everything linked, but when I restart I have the same files missing again. Shouldn’t media 100 only have to re-link once and then I can save it? “
Yes. Relink Media only adds links to the Media Locations folders (plus it does do some checking on the clips). Not sure why you get this each time.
[Tevan] “First thing I did was unplug all cables and then replug. I trashed the prefs, media 100 folder, and reinstalled the software. I have everything backed up on a firewire drive. I tried opening the project from the backup drive, and it acted the same way. The same media files where missing, “media search” re-linked them, saved, restart, files still missing. This tells me it is not my external drive, correct? Can these files possibly be corrupt?”
Do you have a copy of all your media files on your FireWire drives? If yes, you should try this with your SCSI drives turned off (not sure if you already did this), and try to relink the copies of your bins to the media files on your FireWire drive.
[Tevan] “Even if I go through everything and fix it this way, its going to take forever. Is Disk Warrior something that can fix this?”
You definitely should run diskwarrior or e.g. Apple DiskUtility on your drive to see if there is something damaged. I would guess that you have a problem with your drive, either a hardware problem or a directory/file problem. DiskWarrior should give you a hint about these kind of problems. And it definitely is a good idea to have/make a backup copy of all your media files. Harddrives are cheap, so there is no excuse on getting a FireWire chassis and some SATA drives for backup these days.
One other thing you could do is to split up your Media folder on your media harddrive. Maybe there is some limitation on media file numbers within a folder. Create a new Folder on the top level of your media harddrive, and move half of the clips from your project media folder to this new folder (while Media 100 is not running).
You also could move your “Media Index” document out of your media folder (keep it somewhere to move it back in case it causes problems). I have seen these thingies sometimes, but I am not really sure what they are doing. I think they are doing some translations for special characters/locations, so maybe it either is too big or damaged and will be rebuild on the next time you open your project. -
If you go into the system via analog inputs (e.g. via the Component in) you can acquire into 640*480. If your client has a Media 100 system based on a P6000 board, he should work in 720*486, though.
And I would suggest that your client looks into the new Media 100 offers based on the Aja Kona boards. You get the best of both worlds, you can work in Media 100 and in FCP with the same hardware, so it would be easy to decide which system is best for a given job. FCP is not the solution to all problems in the video editing world, especially if your client has a lot of legacy projects and media files. In the Aja-based Media 100 systems you can mix your old 640 and new 720 footage on the same timeline, for example. -
We used both a camera and a HDV deck (Sony HVR-M25E) to acquire HDV tapes downconverted to DV into our Media 100 systems. Not sure why this does not work for you.
-
Do you have a wrong rendering directory (like your internal HD) set for rendering? Or maybe a wrong codec with a data rate too high for your material?
Or your media drive could be nearly full, which usually slows down the drive speeds, causing playback problems. -
Floh Peters
August 28, 2007 at 7:09 pm in reply to: Is M100i codec the only non-compressor working codec?[HolyCowSeattle] “The Media100 codec (10-bit) should be handled much like the 10-bit Uncompressed 4:2:2 or the Blackmagic 10-bit Uncompressed 4:2:2 in any thrid party program. They are essentially similar data and the quicktime wrapper is very similar. No value shifts during compression/recompression cycles/CODEC issues to worry about since it is UC data.”
Unfortunately this is not correct. The Media 100 codecs (as well as the Blackmagic,…) are stored in YUV format. For AE and other QuickTime applications they have to be translated to RGB, and that
-
[MichaelR] “Has anyone tried running Media 100 in HD using a RAID based on the internal storage available on the new Macs?
Couldn’t you just put three 750GB SATA discs inside the Mac and stripe them together, separate from the system drive?”I have tried it for some tests, but of course you don
-
[jimbrodie] “I’ve just bought an HDe system and a new 3gig x 8. I’m still trying to sort out what is the best & economical storage option to go with for uncompressed HD.
“I think you should figure out if you really need/want to work in Uncompressed HD. I think for most purposes a form of compressed HD (depending on what you want to do) is a much better price/performance choice. If you really need uncompressed HD you should be ready to make some serious investments into either FibreChannel or heavy SATA arrays.
-
Leopard is said to be shipping in October, and from what I read on the Media 100 homepage V12 will be there also.
I think nobody can tell when new Macs are shipping, but I would guess that we will see a refresh (but most likely without big GHz jumps) sometimes between now and October.
If Aja is working on a new card I would expect them to show it at IBC (September). So I would think that October would be an excellent time to buy a new system.