Darby Edelen
Forum Replies Created
-
I’m at a loss. Without seeing the project I wouldn’t know what to suggest from here.
Darby Edelen
-
[Matt Callac] “I’m clueless as to what is causing this weirdness. It does seem that something going on in the project is killing multithread processing, but i have not been able to figure out what.”
AE might be starved for memory, this can lead to all kinds of strange goings-on.
There are lots of things I’d recommend looking at, including memory usage in Activity Monitor, available disk space on your OS drive (used for virtual memory), location of your disk cache (if you’re using one).
What resolution and bit depth are you working at? If you’re using any footage items, what kind? What effects are you using?
Darby Edelen
-
That thin black line could be caused by any number of things. Can you give us more information on how you’re inverting the cloth? Does it have an alpha? Are you masking it? Is there a bright highlight on the cloth that is becoming black when inverted?
Darby Edelen
-
[David Markey] “[value, time*100]”
Value is a vector/array on a position property. You have to specify which component you want:
[value[0], time*100]Darby Edelen
-
[Matt Callac] “Not sure what an aeselflink process is.”
Sorry, I may have misunderstood the problem. Do you have “Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously” enabled in the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences? If you do then AE should load a process named “aeselflink” for each processor you have available based on your Memory & Multiprocessing settings.
Additionally, some effects disable Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously. According to the AE help these include:
Auto Color
Auto Contrast
Auto Levels
Cartoon
Lens Blur
Particle Playground
Shadow/HighlightThe
sampleImage();expression as well as some 3rd party effects also disable Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously.If, however, you’re not using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously then it’s hard to know exactly what’s going on inside the black box 🙂
Darby Edelen
-
More information might help us figure out the problem.
What version of After Effects is this? How many aeselflink processes do you see in Activity Monitor? What is the memory usage for the AE and associated processes?
This answer is a long shot: if you’re using CUDA accelerated ray-tracing in CS6 then AE is limited to one process.
Darby Edelen
-
[Bruce Gaber] “I tried several recipes and H.264 and Apple RGB came satisfactorily close. I could not locate Rec. 709, so that raise the question of where to find additional profiles with which to play.”
Rec. 709 is titled “HDTV (Rec. 709)” in After Effects.
Darby Edelen
-
Video codecs, at least those I’m familiar with, don’t support embedded profiles so your rendered video is going to have its RGB values interpreted through some default profile on whatever player/device you’re viewing on.
Most common players/devices will interpret the RGB values as sRGB or a related profile like Rec. 709.
The exact same RGB value will look different in sRGB versus ProPhoto RGB, so if you want your ProPhoto RGB look in an sRGB world you’ll have to convert the ProPhoto RGB colors to perceptually similar sRGB colors.
Click on your Output Module in your Render Queue to do this in After Effects. Go to the “Color Management” tab at the top of the panel. Change your Output Profile to sRGB, Rec. 709, or whatever profile best represents the environment you’ll be viewing in.
You’ll never be able to represent all the colors of a wide gamut profile like ProPhoto RGB in a narrower gamut like sRGB, but you can get close.
Darby Edelen
-
[Pierre Jasmin] ” As mention above, any blur will do that on this sort of pix, you have to add a tiny bit of noise to dither
see my response to this cross-post”I believe the question has been answered in 3 different forums now 🙂
Darby Edelen
-
[Andrew Somers] “B) Re-render in C4D to EXR files and use LINEAR light mode in C4D, then work in AE in 32 bit LINEAR mode. When you bring in the EXR files, they will also be in linear mode.”
I believe there will still be banding in this scenario, although AE should dither an 8bpc render in any case.
I think the real question is whether there is a need to preserve the color values (e.g. handing the footage off to someone else who will benefit from a higher bit depth) or not (e.g. AE is the last step before delivery).
In the former case rendering to a format that supports trillions of colors is not a bad idea. Of course when that video is viewed in AE it will still have banding because of the limits of the display it’s being viewed on, but the color values are still there for coloring or compositing.
I went over a method for checking the banding for the larger range of color values in the Cinema 4D thread on this: https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/19/878743
If the latter is the case, then I say just render to 8bpc. No need to preserve the high range of colors for later compositing.
Darby Edelen