[chris Cummings] “I don’t have Flip4Mac yet, but tried the demo on a quick client piece and even with the highest settings it was pretty ugly.”
I have no problem doing WMV HD with Flip4Mac. I’m not sure what you mean by “highest” settings. Start with a preset and tailor.
[chris Cummings] “I just saw a piece on Vimeo the other day, but this would be something we sell. I’m halving the image size to 640 x 360.”
Vimeo has private screening/by invitation only. Quality not good enough? On a modern PC I actually have no problem playing full screen 720p. Easily from the desktop and manageable for web playback. Target a data rate of 3000kbps and a cable modem from 5000kbps-15000kbps should handle this without a hitch.
More and more of my clients are asking for full HD size files given that most business have the bandwidth. Targeting consumers would bring things down a bit but in my area even typical DSL speeds are 1500kbps and faster DSL packages are 3000kbps. There are people with 768kbps DSL service but often that’s not the target and certainly wouldn’t be for business to business in my area. That’s why knowing your target is critical.