Forum Replies Created

Page 917 of 1040
  • Craig Seeman

    September 4, 2008 at 9:44 pm in reply to: Exporting for D-BETA

    [zik staav] “as these videos are going to air, i am outputting a D-Beta copy that goes off to the TV station. “

    Have you asked them about MPEG2 Program or Transport Stream delivery. A music video isn’t very long in most cases so FTPing the above would be easy. I do local cable spots and I never use tape anymore. I encode Program or Transport streams these days. It’s faster, cheaper, no risk of a bad dub.

  • Note this from a post I made a few days back.

    We looked into certifying non SxS cards for EX but the results were very poor; ranging from not meeting their own specs to taking a long while to do so….

    Juan Martinez
    Senior Manager Technology
    Sony Electronics Inc.

    That said, I know there are people experimenting with the EX1 WITH the 1.11 firmware upgrade. The reasoning being is that the firmware allows for USB ExpressCards because the PHU60K is actually a USB hard drive with SxS connection.

    I’ve heard reports that someone got a Lexar 8GB card to record in SP mode but not HQ. There are questions of reliability too. I believe another person found issues after attempting to record after a couple of minutes.

    If you’ve already updated to firmware 1.11 you might test but understand the risks involved if used for mission critical (paying) work.

  • Craig Seeman

    September 2, 2008 at 1:49 pm in reply to: EX3 – PAL or NTSC dilemma – advice please!

    FWIW the “universal” is 24p since a speed change can get one to 25p and pull down can get one to 29.97.
    Alas you don’t have the best temporal resolution at that frame rate.

    In the past I’ve heard 30p is the worst to shoot at since that supposedly is very hard to convert to PAL but that was a while back and there’s lots of conversion utilities both software and hardware. The issue with conversions is that hardware can be expensive and software can take time (and time is money especially when stock footage is supposed alleviate the cost of shooting original footage).

    I’ve heard that shooting interlace has the advantage of having separate fields when combining to convert.

    My hunch (although I could be wrong) is that 1080i60 or 1080i50 will give you better flexibility than 1080p30 or 1080p25 (which doesn’t give you much better temporal resolution that 24p).

    Your best bet is to do your own tests and cross conversions as well as talk to any stock footage house you might deal with.

  • Craig Seeman

    September 2, 2008 at 1:23 pm in reply to: PHU-90k

    This might help.
    https://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/mkt/recmedia/brochures/prodbroch_hdd.pdf
    Interesting that it’s NOT clearly stated that it can’t record S&Q mode although the sustained capture rate of 45Mbps would imply that since it needs something like 87Mbps to record the slowest slow mo.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 31, 2008 at 5:29 pm in reply to: EX1 firmware 1.11 features

    It sends 4:2:2 10 bit uncompressed out of HDSDI and there’s a portable flash based recording device coming out from Convergent Design I believe that will allow that to be recorded to flash cards.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 30, 2008 at 5:39 pm in reply to: ex3 card-slot door

    I’m using the Sony 680s shotugun and don’t see it at full wide. Maybe if we posted the lengths of our respective shotguns we can see where the threshold might be. It could help some of us make provisions as we mic shop.

    https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-ECM680S/

    Sony 680s
    9 7/8″
    and it’s not visible at full wide.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 30, 2008 at 5:33 pm in reply to: EX1 transfer procedure to FCP 6

    I remember there being some odd issue with 10.4.11 and a specific version of QT that might result in something like this (or did it simply show missing media).

    Just in case, What version Quicktime are you using?
    Have you tried creating a new user with admin status and trying from there?

  • Craig Seeman

    August 30, 2008 at 3:07 pm in reply to: EX1 transfer procedure to FCP 6

    [Neil Rubino] “then there is no need to use the Sony Clip Browser 2 software?”
    Absolutely NOT true.

    [Neil Rubino] “Sony Clip Browser 2 functions are duplicated in the XDCAM Transfer Tool, “
    Not TRUE AT ALL.

    Have you downloaded the software and read the PDF manuals?

    Do you HAVE to use Sony Clip Browser? No.
    You don’t HAVE to use seat belts when you get into a car either (laws might say otherwise though)
    Do you have any archival or back up plan?
    How are going to back up 16GB BPAV folders?
    How are you going to verify that the copies are good before you erase the cards?

    I can’t even begin to count the posts by people with problems who tried to copy and organize BPAV folders by hand.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 30, 2008 at 1:08 pm in reply to: EX1 firmware 1.11 features

    Hmm maybe I’m not understanding the importance. Generally people using HDSDI are using it for live output which does 24PsF. For recorded output most would input from the SxS card which also does 24p. The only thing it does not seem to do is send SxS card out of HDSDI at 24p. I don’t see that as critical important since, in effect, you’d have the option of 24p live or 24p recorded to card and transfered by card (and faster than real time transfer that way).

    If you’re coming from SxS going out HDSDI you’re would not really be gaining anything since, once on card, you’re already in 4:2:0 color space with XDCAM compression. At that point going out of HDSDI would just be an uprez . . . which you can do with the computer or other hardware device if you really need to go that route. Please explain what you intended as just don’t it SxS recording to 24p HDSDI as that important a feature.

  • Craig Seeman

    August 30, 2008 at 3:31 am in reply to: EX1 transfer procedure to FCP 6

    Make sure you have Sony Clip Browser 2. Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool 2.7. FCP 6.0.2 or up.

    If you’re coming from the camera you’d use USB2.
    If you have a MacBookPro it would be by ExpressPort in laptop. Make sure you install the driver first.
    If you bought the Express card to USB reader for desktop it would be from that.

    I would suggest copy using ClipBrowser to hard drive and then backup to DL-DVD R+
    Then use XDCAM Transfer Tool to access the BPAV parent folders and rewrap to MOV.

    If you confirm the versions I mention above and provide more detail I can provide more details.

Page 917 of 1040

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy