Forum Replies Created

Page 127 of 1040
  • Video rate calculator
    https://www.videomaker.com/video-rate-calculator
    or
    https://www.freelanceswitch.com/rates/

    Basically it’s cost of living, cost of running your business, paid hours needed (don’t forget the “unpaid” hours needed to manage your business eats into paid hours available).

    If you don’t have the most basic business management skills you’d could be heading towards catastrophic personal finances. These skills are as important as knowing how to use your software and hardware. Otherwise it’s like being a great driver, having a great car, but no clue how to but gas in the tank. You aint gonna drive if you can’t manage the business.

  • Craig Seeman

    January 14, 2014 at 9:52 pm in reply to: Compressor 4.1

    What he points out is pertinent to new MacPros as well.
    Basically i5 and i7 processors use Intel’s QuickSync technology that Compressor 4.1 takes advantage of for hardware acceleration. The MacPros, both old and new don’t have that as it’s not in the Xeon series of chips. That’s why he mentions that a recent i7 iMac may actually encode faster than even a new MacPro on single pass encoding.

  • Craig Seeman

    January 12, 2014 at 1:38 am in reply to: Avid continues …

    [Oliver Peters] “I doubt there is any more flight than caused by the normal competition from Avid, Adobe, Harmonic, Quantel, Chryon, etc.”

    https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Avid-Technology-Reviews-E2291.htm

  • Craig Seeman

    January 12, 2014 at 12:03 am in reply to: Avid continues …

    [Oliver Peters] “Given that, “die, die” seems to be an strange sentiment.”

    Humorous response to Aindreas.

    think Jack is close to the truth and I’m not even implying that sinister a motive. I do think what they’re doing is calculated. I can’t honestly see otherwise.

    [Oliver Peters] “I don’t agree, although I see how that could be possible.”

    Whenever there’s a sale, depending on who the buyers are, they’re going to be a lot of concerns. Whether investors or outright sale, there’s going to have to be a major change in their business model and I can’t help but think it’s going to hurt their current customers and I don’t mean Media Composer users in that regard either as it’s not their major source of income.

    Avid’s hardware, service contracts, customer base is obviously extremely valuable… yet under Avid’s current business model, not profitable. There’s no magic “sell more” button for them that will turn this ship around.

  • Craig Seeman

    January 11, 2014 at 11:51 pm in reply to: Avid continues …

    Actually in lieu of “less wild” speculation, it seem like very realistic speculation.
    I’m not as included to think there’s so much duplicity as much as “CYA” going on.

    but

    [Jack Zahran] “They can then get additional outside funding and issue a ton of stock to “friendly” investors, who would then use their majority to take the company private.”

    this seems reasonable.

    Given how long this has been going on (closing in on a year at least), this is not likely to be a minor “oopsy” accounting issue. Either there’s a serious problem or there’s a calculated tactic.

    I don’t believe professional accountants and auditors would take this long unless the issue was major and no company would normally want it to take this long (unless maybe they have a motive).

  • Craig Seeman

    January 11, 2014 at 11:35 pm in reply to: Avid continues …

    [Oliver Peters] “But why do you care?”
    Not only a former Avid editor for more than a decade but also trainer and engineer at Avid facilities for a time.

    I feel they’re going to send their users into a lot of turmoil in the next couple of years and I suspect we’re all going to be impacted by that fallout.

  • Craig Seeman

    January 11, 2014 at 4:24 pm in reply to: Avid continues …

    [Andrew Kimery] “The stock value will take a big hit though because there will be much less interest in a company that’s not listed.”

    I’m not quite sure that it’ll take a hit given how low it is. I think they avoid volatile market fluctuations. The interest would be “targeted” though. Avid gains a lot more control over the transaction (I believe) and I think that’s their motive. My guess is they’ll work with brokers to look for targeted friendly investors or a friendly buyer. Again, just my speculation.

  • Craig Seeman

    January 11, 2014 at 4:14 pm in reply to: Avid continues …

    [Jeremy Garchow] “But then what happens to the people who own Avid shares?”

    One can still own, buy, sell shares “privately”
    I believe the logistics are a bit more difficult though which is why being listed is valuable… but being listed probably makes a leveraged buyout (vs a negotiated buyout) more difficult. I’m also wondering/thinking that being delisted might make it easier to “control” a capital investment (control who the investor is).

    Personally I think this is a very deliberate move by Avid to get delisted. If it’s simply “messy books” they can’t straighten out, that would actually be far worse. I don’t think any investor will put money in or buy a company whose books can’t be audited and understood when the investor/buyer investigates. If their books are that bad they may truly be “toast” because there’s no way they can bring in money that way. That would make the very high risk IMHO.

    Basically I’m saying I doubt they’re “toast.” More likely this is a tactic so they can reconnoiter outside of the public eye. The result is that they’ll either get an “infusion” with strings attached or they’ll be sold.

  • Craig Seeman

    January 11, 2014 at 2:44 pm in reply to: Avid continues …

    Die Avid Die!
    They are a zombie company.
    The Walking Dead.

    It would seem their goal is to “involuntarily” go “private”… get delisted so they don’t have to do any reporting. I wonder if the strategy is actually to make it difficult for someone to gather stock and buy them out (avoid leveraged buyout or undervalued sale).

    Consider how bad of a mess their books would have to be in to have not straightened this out… or that this is deliberate (I speculate).

    They don’t want the numbers known and they’ve decided it’s better to get delisted. Their lack of debt puts them in a good position to look for a buyer away from the stock market’s eyes.

    Just wild speculation of course.

  • Craig Seeman

    January 10, 2014 at 6:43 pm in reply to: AppleScript woes with Compressor 3.5.3

    Hmm, something about AppleScript changed between Mt. Lion and Mavericks?
    I wonder what would happen if you created the exact same script in Mt. Lion.
    Just pondering out loud since that’s not a bunch of tests you’d want to pursue my guess.

Page 127 of 1040

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy