Forum Replies Created

Page 139 of 282
  • Chris Harlan

    June 28, 2012 at 5:15 pm in reply to: Soundforge coming to Mac?

    Sound Forge for the Mac would be wonderful. I have trouble imagining Sony doing it. If its true, I hope that “Rethought. Reshaped. Recreated. – Reinvented for the Mac ” simply means ported. I don’t want them messing with it too much. What I’d really love is to see Acid ported.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 28, 2012 at 3:13 am in reply to: Thoughts from the departed?

    [David Cherniack] “Chris, I haven’t played around too much with the different track types. I suggest going on the Premiere forum, either here or at Adobe, and asking there. Sorry.
    “

    Thanks, but I’m totally getting into this. The level of sophistication is amazing. There are channels. There are tracks. They can be converted to and fro using mapping and modify. You can build ProRes templates for both timeline and export. There are sends to sends. I’m having a lot of fun breaking this all down. Bravo to the folks who put this crazy thing together. I’m having fun!

  • Chris Harlan

    June 28, 2012 at 1:59 am in reply to: Thoughts from the departed?

    [David Cherniack] “I’m afraid that I can’t completely grasp what you’re referring to. You shouldn’t have 6 channels per clip in the timeline unless you’ve brought your audio in as 5.1.
    “

    To do my audio splits, I set up a multichannel timeline with all tracks set to Adaptive. In this case, I needed six–four mono and 1 stereo–so it is just a coincidence that it has the same number as 5.1. Whatever I set the number of output channels to, the adaptive tracks match with “input channels.” These input channels show up in the individual clips represented by dashed lines. I may be doing something wrong, but I haven’t found out what yet.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 27, 2012 at 11:59 pm in reply to: tv?

    [Walter Soyka] “It further strikes me as very un-Apple to have a set-top box instead of a totally self-contained appliance.”

    Just ask the Mac Pro!

  • Chris Harlan

    June 27, 2012 at 11:55 pm in reply to: tv?

    [TImothy Auld] ” Nonetheless I remove you from the SMPTE enemies list in perpetuity (if we could only find the damned thing.)
    “

    It might be a little soon for that. I think we should keep an eye on him a wee bit longer.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm in reply to: Thoughts from the departed?

    [David Cherniack] “[Chris Harlan] ” A) do you know if I can keyframe a plug-in that I drop in on the mixer?”

    Not on the track level as far as I know. Plugins can certainly be keyframed on the clip level if their parameters are exposed (most are).
    “

    Pity. But still–what a robust audio tool for an NLE!

    [David Cherniack] “[Chris Harlan] ” B) Is there any way I’m missing to change the channel output of a track to multichannel from stereo once the track is created?”

    When you create the timeline creat a master multitrack (up to 16). Then your stereo tracks can be assigned in pairs to your output.
    “

    Yes, I learned this the hard way, though of course it was only cut and paste to fix once I figured it out. If I assign 6 channels out, is there any way to get rid of those 6 channels in that show up on the clips? I know that they are harmless, but they are distracting and take up real estate?

    Thanks again for your pointers!

  • Chris Harlan

    June 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm in reply to: tv?

    [Bill Davis] “[Chris Harlan] “I DO wonder though; other than having less clutter–which admittedly is a big deal for some folk–what the value would be over the current version.
    ”

    One word: Integration.”

    Sure. I agree that’s a possibility. Maybe even a strong one. I don’t find that attractive, but I can certainly see that enough people might to make a difference. Just for the record–I’m expecting Apple to introduce a TV, I’m just not certain how well it will actually do. But that may just be because I don’t find the idea particularly attractive. Frankly, it feels to me like a huge step backwards, but that’s a gut feeling, and I’m not sure I really care enough to think it out past that.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm in reply to: Thoughts from the departed?

    [jason carey] “what about the fact that it is slow “

    Slow? I don’t know what you are using it on or using with it, but even on my Macbook Pro, it does a really fine, responsive job of cutting both DNxHD and ProResHQ. “Slow” never enters my mind.

    [jason carey] “does not display layers in real time”

    I’m not sure what you mean by this. Multiple, overlapping layers? You certainly can–not as well as some other packages–but I wouldn’t choose it as my main compositor, anyway. I’d use FCP 7 or Pr6 as a compositor over MC, no question.

    [jason carey] “and does not do background rendering”

    In general, I hate background rendering.

    [jason carey] “I think Avid is a bust.”

    That’s your business. And if my criteria for choosing an NLE were based on your above complaints, I wouldn’t choose it either. In terms of actual cutting, I think it has the best tool set out there, though I’m impressed with what Adobe has done with MC 6, and plan to use that side by side with MC6 into the future.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm in reply to: tv?

    [Gary Huff] “Frankly, I think the idea of building “apps” and so on into TVs is totally dumb. TVs should be “dumb terminals” with which you hook up devices to them, giving way, eventually, to a standard that allows you to “throw” media to it from any computer.
    “

    I agree with you about this, and have never been attracted to the whole Smart TV thing, but other people seem to think there is a there there. I have never seen the value, myself, but going on Jobs comments just prior to his death, I DO think Apple has something in mind.

  • [Walter Soyka] “[Jeremy Garchow] “But maybe all of this [FCPX awesomeness] is an after thought?”

    I’ve used brackets to editorialize and summarize. I’ll appeal to Chris Harlan, forum line judge, if it’s in-bounds or not. 🙂
    “

    Oh heck, you use one tennis metaphor and you’re done for.

Page 139 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy