Forum Replies Created

Page 135 of 699
  • Bret Williams

    February 27, 2015 at 1:23 pm in reply to: How are you using metadata?

    Favorites, keywords, rejects, used ranges, yes. Smart collections occasionally. Are those metadata? I call them logging. You can definitely over log. I still remember my first X project. I was duly keywording all the interviewees and separating out the good answers by question and favorite and rejects and all that so I’d be all organized to make my selects. We had also had a printed transcript that my wife (the producer) had. By the time I was half way through the logging process she had highlighted the good stuff and cut it out and glued it to a sheet of paper. A true paper edit. The logging ended and I quickly assembled the first edit from her paper edit and felt a bit silly.

  • Bret Williams

    February 25, 2015 at 11:07 pm in reply to: Problem with file length in editing in FCPX

    True. Below is the image of the background render setting it logically seems you were referring to here…

    [Bill Davis] “Remember I said you “can” get to work instantly? It’s true, but it’s also true that unless you turn off “background rendering”, X is set up so that every time you move the mouse or type, the program STOPS the background processes. “

    It’s not until much later in the post you even mention the background processes window. Which, yes, of course is where you could pause or stop the optimizing or proxy creation. Another solution might be to turn off both of those settings altogether by default before import (in the import prefs) and invoke it after the fact in the event on the appropriate media. But seems kinda like a weird thing to stop them. Either you need proxies/optimized media to edit or you don’t. If you can work without, then import the originals and begin editing. But I guess you could let the process start, open the window and force stop or pause it.

    FWIW I’m not sure stopping those processes would improve performance. Isn’t the performance problem not that it’s churning on the transcodes while you edit, (it very seamlessly stops that the instant you move the mouse) but the fact that one ins’t using transcoded material when they need to? For example if you’re editing with originals instead of proxies when your system can’t handle the originals. If you want the performance, you do have to wait for them to encode.

    Anyway, hopefully this little sidebar clears up any questions for the OP instead of muddying the waters!

  • Bret Williams

    February 25, 2015 at 9:58 pm in reply to: Problem with file length in editing in FCPX

    Not that it really matters, but that still doesn’t make any sense. Here’s what you said

    [Bill Davis] “Particularly about how X creates the working files it needs during footage import. The way X uses metadata links to point to the original files, often tricks folks into thinking that in X, imported clips arrive “instantly” you’re ready to edit. And you are, KINDA. X actually uses instant initial clip representations UNTIL it has better media set up and in place. The system is designed so that you can start making edit decisions and even doing color work and audio editing fast, BUT – under the hood, there’s still a LOT of work the software needs to do in many cases.

    This includes any transcoding you’ve set up. That can be “optimizing” your media into ProRes, making Proxies for better performance, or just calculating the very detailed graphic representations of the audio waveforms X presents to the user to allow audio editing at subframe accuracy.

    Remember I said you “can” get to work instantly? It’s true, but it’s also true that unless you turn off “background rendering”, X is set up so that every time you move the mouse or type, the program STOPS the background processes.

    If you need to work instantly, try turing OFF background rendering so the program isn’t constantly interrupting itself. BUT – if you do that, you need to manually re-start the background processes when there”s time, or the behind the scenes work will NEVER get done and everything will take forever to output. “

    Nowhere in there do you even mention rendering. You discuss at length optimizing and proxies and waveforms and then say that you should turn off background rendering so that the app doesn’t interrupt itself with those processes. Which isn’t even a remotely accurate statement. Turning off background rendering won’t keep the app from interrupting itself with waveforms, proxies & optimizing or thumbnails. You just have to wait.

  • Bret Williams

    February 25, 2015 at 9:43 pm in reply to: Problem with file length in editing in FCPX

    Yes. You are correct. Whenever you’re doing something background processes get delayed. Some seemingly more than others. But the background render preference only affects one process. Rendering. It doesn’t affect optimizing or waveforms or thumbnails or exports or proxies. If you turn that checkbox off it only disables background rendering. I don’t know of anyone that leaves that checkbox on. You suggested that if he didn’t want proxies and optimizing to occur, then he should turn that off. And that he’d have to restart those processes manually. That checkbox wouldn’t turn off any of those processes.

  • Bret Williams

    February 25, 2015 at 2:19 pm in reply to: You wanted Color Wheels?

    I’ve seen the vids. It’s ibviously better than Apple’s tool. But I’m surprised it didn’t have masks.

  • Bret Williams

    February 25, 2015 at 3:31 am in reply to: Problem with file length in editing in FCPX

    It sounds as if you think the background rendering preference has something to do with background processes like creating proxies or transcoding. It doesn’t. Background rendering only applies to rendering in the timeline. Two completely different things. I turned off that horrible checkbox 3+ years ago myself. Proxies and optimizing are created just fine.

  • Bret Williams

    February 25, 2015 at 3:22 am in reply to: setting start timecode on b-roll clips

    The simple thing to do is drag out a range starting from the beginning of the clip. As you do so, a duration is shown right next to your mouse pointer. Easiest way I’ve found to go it. These days clients are always getting quick times of the media from somewhere and they always start at zero. So I’m doing this all the time. I’ve never used aux. I think 7 had the ability to show a counter instead of TC which served the same purpose. X still needs a bit of refining in some areas.

  • Bret Williams

    February 25, 2015 at 2:23 am in reply to: You wanted Color Wheels?

    I guess I figured the color board had unlimited vectors in that you can mask and soften any color you choose. Not just 6 ranges.

    Does color finale have masks? Free form or otherwise? Are they trackable? Finale looks nice, but isn’t it color wheels vs color board? Vectors vs a color or Luma mask secondary?

  • So your media is all external to the library? Originals and proxies? I think you should be able to open a backup. Should be in your user>movies>Final Cut Backups folder.

    I don’t think you’d ba able to relink to the proxies any other way. Especially with a new project, er, library.

    Just try calling it Library, event and timeline. Eliminate the phrase project from your vocabulary to avoid confusion. apple really screwed that one up.

  • Bret Williams

    February 20, 2015 at 12:00 am in reply to: Video Export

    Choose share to Vimeo from FCP X? Or make a compressor preset (that you use in X as well) that suits your needs.

Page 135 of 699

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy