Bret Williams
Forum Replies Created
-
Bret Williams
March 14, 2015 at 1:46 pm in reply to: Having a library on more than one external driveThe library is the equiValent of the legacy project file. Your media can reside across any number of drives. Different than legacy but yet the same. And much better managed for sure.
-
Bret Williams
March 14, 2015 at 3:59 am in reply to: Starting a New Project Without Losing An Old OneSo is it anywhere in the library? You only show the one event contents. Highlight the library instead and see if another project shows up. You can always try the restore from backup. If you choose that you should be presented with a list of backups and their time and date.
-
Bret Williams
March 14, 2015 at 12:55 am in reply to: Starting a New Project Without Losing An Old OneNothing is lost unless you specifically deleted the project. Just double click on the timeline (project) in the event. Should be at the top. What did you edit in if not a project? I can’t believe you knew you could create a compound clip and edit in that.
-
Bret Williams
March 12, 2015 at 10:04 pm in reply to: In FCP 7 I would stack b-roll I liked and then disable what I didn’t use so I still had it as an option. Can I do that in FCP X?I’m aware. Still don’t use them much. It’s much more visible to be to see all my choices right in front of me. I do the same with music. We’ll stack up 3 or 4 different tracks.
I do like the ripple training tutorial that suggested you put auditions BELOW a gap between two clips, so that the “opening” for the shot stays the same and you can essentially slip the audition clip within the opening.
-
Bret Williams
March 12, 2015 at 9:17 pm in reply to: In FCP 7 I would stack b-roll I liked and then disable what I didn’t use so I still had it as an option. Can I do that in FCP X?Yes you can also do it exactly the same way as in FCP 7. Just because you don’t have tracks doesn’t mean you don’t have layers.
Others mention the audition feature, which is essentially 1 clip with many choices within. I prefer the old fashioned way because it preserves the timing of your sequence and I really dislike X screwing with the timing of my sequence. I also like being able to see that I have many choices at a glance turned off in the timeline without having to look into the audiobook clip.
Depends on the type of work and the way you work. X gives you many more options.
-
Not a fix, but can you save regular cmd S? Why the save as? If it’s for versioning, you can always just dupe the original in the finder and rename it v1, v2, etc. and just save the one you’re working on.
I recently had the old can’t save can’t undo bug crop up. Maybe it’s related. I was basically out of RAM and motion got all wonky. I did have FCP X, Motion, AE, PS, and AI open along with iCal, mail, Safari and who knows what else.
-
Bret Williams
March 11, 2015 at 3:17 pm in reply to: FCPX P2 import – Still adds to library even if not checkedYou can have X put the rewraps on the raid of course but yeah P2 gets rewrapped.
-
Bret Williams
March 11, 2015 at 3:14 pm in reply to: I’m making up new systems for working in FCP X. How do people here use positive and negative ratings?What I don’t like about rejected is that now I have MORE clips to deal with. I keyword and favorite, but I like the entire clip to be visible with just the favorites sections marked and the used sections. I don’t use reject.
If you do the reject thing, and reject a portion(s) of a clip, you’re then left with a bunch of chunks. I need to see if any part of that entire clip was used. IOW if I used 2 secs of a particular setup or broll shot, I don’t want to use it again. The whole clip should be considered used. That’s how it worked in legacy and it worked for my flow.
But still what Bill has there is cl definitely the way the app is designed to be used. Adapt to taste.
-
Bret Williams
March 11, 2015 at 3:06 pm in reply to: MPEG Streamclip and FCPX NO PRORES CODECS showing in streamclipThat’s why you optimize. It’s built in transcoding to ProRes. I don’t think I’ve used streamclip in years. All I ever used it for was ripping DVDs even then.
-
Gareth, you should turn that license plate into a Motion 5 template for FCP X. If you have the rights to the footage and all. Or perhaps shoot your own car. If you did it all in Motion instead of PS then it could all be rigged and editable right in X. Nice.