Bob Zelin
Forum Replies Created
-
Perhaps, I’ll rephrase the question.
1. If I wanted to share storage between 3 computers, where the MacPro 12core is connected to the R8 can it handle acting as the server and editing at the same time?REPLY – NO. Your server must be a dedicated server. You can’t edit on the server while it is acting as a file server. Everything will choke. But what is the big deal ? A used Mac Pro from ebay for $1000 bucks ?
2. SNS looks like it has the software to accommodate this, I’m a little confuses by what software packages I’ll need.
REPLY – don’t be confused. SNS gives you a complete TURNKEY system, with everything you need. The small SNS Prodigy is about $5000. Is that too much money ? I thought you had $14,000 ! You don’t need to think, just call SNS, Small Tree, or any of the other brands you see discussed here on Cow, and these companies will do it all for you. You don’t need to be confused. Everything will be handled for you, as long as you hand over your money to them.
3. Am I correct to assume that if I connect 2 computers together via 10GbE that the typical SMB protocol will have less then ideal transfer speeds/lag time. I hear the new SMB with Mavericks has had a massive improvement however.
REPLY – all the companies you mentioned offer 10GbE connection from server to client. SMB, AFP, and NFS will all work, and yes, SMB on a Mac with Mavericks or Yosemite works quite wonderfully. The most important thing is that you look at the ads on Creative Cow, look at the forums, and buy a solution that you know is going to work. Stop thinking so much, and pick up the phone, and say “I have $14,000, what can you give me”. People will bend over backwards to help you.
Doing 4K over a 10G connection is nothing.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
If you work for a tech company, with all those smart IT tech guys, shouldn’t they know what the correct switches are for this type of application ? Shouldn’t they know what the reliable brands of hard drives are ?
The brands you mentioned – Promise, Sonnet, and ATTO are all excellent. I use all of them all the time. There are other brands too, and LOOK – they all advertise right here on Creative Cow, and even have their own forums. Of course, you can purchase a system that already works, but I guess that your tech company wants to save some money. I bet those IT guys that setup servers can do a good job of building a system themselves, with products from Promise, Sonnet, ATTO, and the other companies that you see advertise right here on Creative Cow.
It’s kind of a shame that your tech company is relying on you – a creative producer and video editor, to pick the “tech” part of this project, as if they have computer guys on staff, they should know this stuff, and they should take the responsibility. It would be a shame for you to say “hey I think we should get these parts”, only to have the IT department ultimately say “boy, that guy Barry sure screwed up, none of this works”. It’s THEIR responsibility !
However, you can pick one of the wonderful brands you see discussed right here on Creative Cow, which I can assure you ALL work, and you will be a hero. Then your boss might even say “Boy, Barry not only picked a great system, but made me realize, why the heck to I even have these tech guys working here, when Barry can do it all, and I can just sub out all the complex stuff that I need to get done”.Bottom line, look at the ads here – look at who participates on these forums, look at who has their own user forum, and CALL these companies. They have working solutions. You will get a working system. And you (and your boss) will be able to be very productive with a nice shared storage system for all your shows.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
yes, this works. Do you know how to configure a system like this ?
I guess you should go out, and buy all these parts, and see if it works. If it doesn’t work, write back. We are here. And say “hi” to your boss from me.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Hi Andrew –
I hate these kinds of posts (no offense to you personally). It’s basically saying “we have no money, but we want to do the impossible”. Let me tell you about real life, and neither Nate or myself represent AVID. When you look at the unlimited budget big Hollywood Features, they use AVID. And AVID can only do up to DNxHD220 which is 30 MB/sec (equivalent to Apple ProRes422HQ). And when they need to CONFORM to the “big stuff” that you want to do, they conform on a Quantel Pablo Rio, or Clipster, with NO SHARED STORAGE, but they EDIT on AVID Media Composer at LOWER RESOLUTIONS (usually DNxHD36, which is about 14 MB/sec, which any shared storage system can do). And this is if you are George Lucas, etc. with big bucks.Now we come to you.
Your Promise R8 will do about 800 – 900 MB/sec. This is plenty for
even RED Epic Dragon 6K footage at 8:1 compression. But you want SHARED STORAGE. How many clients ? Exactly what is your question – how can you do it without spending ANY MONEY, and just get free advice from Creative Cow ? I can assure you that Nate at ProMax has a solution for you, and so do I. And so does Facilis. And so does EditShare. And so does GB Labs, and so does Small Tree. And so does Apace Systems. And so does Archion. And so does AVID. And so does Neil at LumaForge. BUT YOU ARE GOING TO PAY US. It doesn’t need to be me. And it doesn’t need to be Nate. But it needs to be SOMEONE that has experience in doing this.Do your research, and you will find the answer to your problem. What you wont’ find is a free solution, that will cost you $1000 bucks, and some questions on Creative Cow (although all the advertisers on Creative Cow can help you).
10GbE Ethernet will give you all the bandwidth you need.
bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
I saw this, and this is great news. I believe (and I could be wrong) that you posted here that the Areca card works with the MLogic MTape LTO drive (and I assume BRU software). Is this accurate information, or am I wrong ?
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Hi Will –
always fascinated by posts like yours. You obviously read Creative Cow. You obviously see the countless forums that offer shared storage on Creative Cow. You obviously have a budget – you are willing to spend $90,000. I assume that your company has competitors, and I assume that you have seen some shared storage systems at your competitors, of which I bet NONE are TrueNAS.So instead of answering your question, I have a question for you –
when you can consider proven systems from these companies –
Edit Share
Facilis
Studio Network Solutions
GB Labs
LumaForge
ProMax
Archion
Maxx Digital
Small Tree
AVID ISIS 5500
Quantum StorNext
Apple XSAN
Tiger Technology
and even NetApp (there was just a big article on Cow on this)
and of course, the “cheapie” NAS solutions with 10G from –
QNAP
Synology
Thecus
Netgear ReadyNas
OWC JupiterWHY ON EARTH would you consider TrueNAS, with SO MANY proven solutions, all of which cost less than $90,000. Exactly what are you looking for, that these proven brands, that are discussed on Creative Cow on a daily basis, cannot offer you ?
bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
a thunderbolt switch has not been developed. All you have to do is plug in two Thunderbolt computers, and enable sharing on one of them. Mount the “shared computer” on the client computer. Now, do a speed test with one of the countless free software products for network speed test that you can download. You will instantly see the poor performance.
So even IF there was a Thunderbolt switch, you would get terrible performance, and not be able to have multiple computers edit HD video over a thunderbolt network. It doesnt’ work. I’ve tried this.
There are countless products that are inexpensive that use simple Ethernet to accomplish what you want. But I know that all of these simply are not CHEAP ENOUGH, when you can just plug in a thunderbolt cable to do what you want. Well, that’s like saying that you want to edit over the internet, without an expensive system like Adobe Anywhere. It’s just a fantasy right now. You can say “I know there must be something out there”- but if you stop google searching, and simply plug two computers together with a thunderbolt cable, and do some simple testing, you will see that it does not reliably work.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Hi Antonio –
I know what you want. You want to do a pure thunderbolt network, using a Mac Pro as your server with it’s 6 Thunderbolt ports, and connect your client computers to your “server” via Thunderbolt only, so that there is no Ethernet, and no fibre – just thunderbolt.Well guess what – YOU CANT HAVE IT. IT DOES NOT WORK. I have confirmed this with Intel.
You are stuck buying one of the existing shared storage systems on the market, or you get NOTHING.
Bet you don’t like that answer. No shared storage for you !
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Bob Zelin
October 31, 2014 at 7:36 pm in reply to: recommendation for Premier Editor in Cleveland OH -
Hi Eddie –
I am not sure what country you are in. 4K requires under 200 MB/sec per client. You do not need crazy bandwidth. Any fibre, or 10GbE system can do this for you (translation – every manufacturer can do this).
Accusys Exasan is Infiniband – they are the only ones to use this protocol. Bottom line – they all work, they will all allow you to do 4K editing – even QNAP with a 10G card and 10G switch.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com