Forum Replies Created

Page 105 of 701
  • won’t you make that money back the first day that you use them ?
    Does $200 make a difference in any professional project ?

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Thunderbolt 2 drives will run faster than thunderbolt 1

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    December 5, 2015 at 6:36 pm in reply to: Thunderbolt SAN switch

    They did
    It’s $10,000 us for 64 terabytes
    3 users no expansion for additional users
    Requires additional Mac mini server with Xsan or tiger share

    Are you ready to buy it now?

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    December 4, 2015 at 10:27 pm in reply to: Advice on storage

    you have not stated – do you need SHARED storage so that multiple people can access the same media, or is this just for one workstation. Forget the Cloud – it won’t do what you want.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    November 28, 2015 at 8:19 pm in reply to: 3 People, FCPX and a fast switch

    Hi –
    you have 3 Mac’s, all with thunderbolt
    you have a 10G switch
    you have 3 SanLink2 boxes

    All you need is a dedicated Mac Pro server, and a big drive array, and you have shared storage. If you want FCP-X for your central library storage, you should enable NFS, if you want to write libraries to the shared volume (the big disk drive array). If you don’t mind “checking in and checking out” your libraries to your local computer, than the standard system will work.

    So you are close, but done yet.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    November 28, 2015 at 2:27 am in reply to: 3 People, FCPX and a fast switch

    Hi –
    this will be an aggressive response. If you don’t like aggressive responses, then you should stop reading this now, instead of being insulted.

    I have contacted you via your MCMTV website, with no reply. You have also been told on this forum by two incredible professionals – Bernard Lamporelle from Tiger Technolgy, and Nate Cooper from ProMax – both of which can provide you with professional solutions, that can do exactly what you want to do. And I have contacted you privately, to which you have not responded (it’s Thanksgiving in the US, but not in Australia, so I know you are working). So the bottom line is, that you are looking for someone on Creative Cow to tell you how to do this for free, and you are not willing to spend a penny with any professional who does this for a living (including all the wonderful dealers that do this in Australia) – you just want free information on how you can do this yourself, so you don’t have to buy an expensive WORKING solution, and you don’t have to pay anyone to help you – is that correct ?

    Well, sorry, we are not going to help you. If you would like the phone #’s and contact info of professional dealers in Australia that can assist you (and YES, you have to pay them money) – I will be more than happy to list them right here.

    If Castrol and Haltech, and SuperCheap Auto and Just Car Insurance, and GFB are willing to sponsor you, then you are doing the right thing (just like Creative Cow gets sponsored for these forums). But since you are in the VIDEO business, you need to take your profits, and SPEND THAT MONEY on a professional product (like from ProMax or Tiger Technology or the others that you see here on these forums).

    since you state –
    “series now sees up to 3 million views per week making it the #1 Automotive channel in Australia, and the #1 DIY Automotive Channel in the world. With such a massive audience, they are bringing together an international, multicultural community of open minded car enthusiasts from every corner of the planet.”

    and you state –
    “Being completely independent, the boys don’t have to answer to anyone except their own creative spirit and their focus is on quality over quantity.”

    Well, that last quote is inaccurate. You don’t have to answer to anyone ? No, you have to answer to me. And the rest of the professional community. You don’t get to make all this money, and not PAY US for our professional services. You have received professional replies from Tiger Technolgy and ProMax. And there are others. SHOW US THE MONEY, and we will help you. If you don’t like “us”, there are countless other professionals on this forum, (just look at the banner ads), that can help you with a professional solution. Just crack open that wallet from your sponsors, and give us money, and you will have a wonderful working solution, that will allow you to do exactly what you want.

    Bob Zelin
    ps – happy holidays.

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    November 26, 2015 at 2:35 pm in reply to: 3 People, FCPX and a fast switch

    before I answer, I have to ask you –
    from your website, you state –
    (We both still work full time and do MCM as a hobby in our spare time)

    so is this a hobby, or do you do this full time ?
    Since you are the tech guy, and you want to centralize your FCP-X libraries, do you know how to setup NFS ?

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    November 25, 2015 at 1:32 am in reply to: OT – is the “new” Mac Pro a failure

    I am dragging this thing out, because what I see on forums like Creative Cow (and what I see in real life) is that as young users get into our industry – everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is just too expensive. Why ? Because they are willing to work for free, and the clients (who are really the only guilty ones) will say “I don’t care if you work for free, will you paint my house and clean my toilet, in addition to shooting this video for free). And the sad part is, there are kids that say “well, if I shoot this video for free, and edit it for free, and paint his house, this will look great on my reel, and maybe he will hire me next time for 50 bucks”.

    Look – I am equally guilty of this now, at the age of 59 (but in a different field). I recently learned how to play guitar, and me and my little band of OLD GUYS plays for free (we get our drinks for free) at the local bar, and we think that is COOL. I am sure that any professional musician that walks in wants to kill us and say “these guys are not only idiots, but they are ruining it for all of us that are trying to make a living doing it”. And so, when we see kids doing what we do for free, or almost free, we get mad.
    And when I see someone on creative cow saying “I can get this 2005 SCSI RAID array for free, can I use this with FCP-X or Blackmagic Davinci Resolve 12” – well, that is an assault on what I do for my living, so I start my rant on this poor kid. But it’s the same thing. When we see the thread “I just got my iPhone to shoot my new feature, but Verizon charges SO MUCH MONEY for my monthly fee for the iPhone, isn’t there a cheaper way to get this phone, so I can post my movie on iTunes” – well, I want to kill. But I guess I am just as guilty. But I have fun playing music. I am not trying to pay my health insurance from doing it.

    Go out and buy a new Mac Pro for $4500. If this is not a good investment to you, then you are in the wrong industry. As I have ranted in the past, if you are a UBER cab driver, and can’t afford a nice clean Prius, and can only afford the old rust bucket that your parents got you for graduation, then you CAN’T be a professional UBER cab driver.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    November 24, 2015 at 11:56 pm in reply to: OT – is the “new” Mac Pro a failure

    of course, what kills me, is that very few (these damn young kids) seem to forget that a basic AVID in “the stone age” of the 90’s cost $80,000. If most people had to pay $80,000 for anything, they would rather kill themselves. But that was the normal price “back then” (which was a lot cheaper than $250,000 to $500,000 for a small linear editing system).

    “OOH – $4500 for a computer that I can make my entire living from – I can’t spend that kind of money – it would take me 3 years to pay that off !!!!”.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    November 24, 2015 at 10:14 pm in reply to: OT – is the “new” Mac Pro a failure

    ooh – time for me to throw my useless 2 cents in !

    Is the “new” Mac Pro a failure – OF COURSE NOT. It’s a great (and expensive) machine that is not “expandable”, unless you do it externally.

    I still LOVE the old Mac Pro’s (a 12 core with 32 Gig of RAM, and an NVidia Graphics card, and 10G card is amazing) – is it cheaper than a “new” Mac Pro – YES it is. But is the new Mac Pro excellent – YES IT IS.

    Not only is it fast, and not only is Yosemite and El Capitan nice and stable, but in addition to running the usual Adobe/Apple/Blackmagic software on it, there is a myriad of wonderful hardware from AJA/Blackmagic that is inexpensive and works wonderfully. As for adaptors for your legacy stuff, companies like Sonnet, Highpoint, Lacie, CalDigit, ATTO, Promise, OWC, etc. have wonderful Inexpensive products that let you hook up all your old junk to it. As for drive arrays, between Promise, Maxx Digital, G-Tech, Highpoint, and Netstor, there are wonderful amazing drive arrays that just plug right in, and give you enormous capacity and performance. Expander rack chassis’ from Sonnet and JMR make the new Mac Pro extra wonderful.

    But you can get a killer “old” Mac Pro on ebay for $2000 bucks. You can’t find a new 6,1 Mac Pro for that kind of money.

    What DON’T I like about the 2013 6,1 Mac Pro ? The threat that in 2017, Thunderbolt 3 will be on these machines, making these expensive boxes (obsolete) (remember that all “old” Mac Pro’s are now obsolete).

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

Page 105 of 701

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy