Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
Where are you guys keeping your projects and events?
In my workflow, I con’t keep any of them on my primary drive. I use Firewire 800 drives to hold my events and projects and just keep the App on my laptop. That way all the render files, transcoded media and proxys disappear when I detach the drive. After I finish projects, I MOVE them to external multi-terabyte storage drives. Mounting the drives, makes the projects and events on them “come alive” in the X interface, but my root drive stays pretty clear.
That plus the “disk image” thing for field footage storage seems to be working really well for me – with no need to flush too much other than doing a render queue flush now and again to reclaim space on the Firewire drive.
YMMV.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Joost Boekhoven] “I have been often quite annoyed with the habit of the program to freeze for seconds or much longer, showing the spinning ball, while there is no apparent cause; I haven’t given it anything to do except position the playhead somewhere, and there’s no rendering going on. “
The key word is “apparent”
Just because you don’t know what X is doing – doesn’t mean it’s not doing something.
I’ve come to see the program a little bit like a hotel. There’s lots going on all the time. But during down times, folks run out and vacuum, sweep, fold sheets, and generally keep the place in order.
I”ve hit stretches with a whole lot of spinning beach balls and frustration. Then a couple of days later, hardly any. Clearly there were things happening under the hood that I didn’t understand, but that the program needed to accomplish in order to keep it’s metadata flow organized.
After a while, I started getting hints of when the things I did screwed up the housekeeping.
Essentialy I’ve had to “mature” as an X user and not act like a teenager leaving my clothes and shoes everywhere and expecting the program to clean up under the hood no matter what I did.
Looking back , it’s a lot like operating Legacy version 1 or 2. Things would go well, then problems would pop up. Eventually all the problems disappeared and we were left with a superb video editing program.
Hopefully, we’re on that path again, but it’s still early days.
Essentially the more I”ve come to understand the rules, the less the program “fights me”.
Not perfect – but better now than 4 months ago by leaps and bounds for me.
And the payoffs are starting to really show up as my event library keeps growing and I have access to more and more by way of raw materials for building all my future videos.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Uh,
You’ve kinda acknowledged that you’re running the program on hardware that’s not officially supported.
Sounds to me like it was fine when the hardware didn’t have to do much work. Now you’re asking it to do more and it can’t.
The manufacturer told us the hardware profile for good results. You’re not following that – and you’re not getting good results.
I understand. For a while I didn’t have a supported card in my Tower, so I ran X mostly on my laptop. Then I got a new supported card for the tower. Now I run it on both but my 2011 laptop runs it SO much BETTER than my 2009 tower. (fewer glitches and screw ups by a huge margin.)
X likes new hardware, lots of RAM, and the most modern OS you feed it. If you can’t give it what it’s designed to run on – then you’re going to need lots of patience, IMO.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
April 2, 2012 at 3:42 am in reply to: Importing and maintaining folders within Original MediaEric,
You’re missing the reality that X is a database as much as it’s an editing software program.
Those files it’s “moving” are actually the structural storage pools that the entire database expects to work with to make all the data sharing in X work.
Stop trying to move them – or you’re going to break the links the program relies on to function.
The best way to operate X is not to move ANYTHING other than external resources that you store where you like BEFORE importing them into X. If you want to move projects, use the MOVE command in the File Menu.
DO NOT treat X like it’s just another finder based program. If you do you’re in for a world of hurt.
You’ve got to move on from the old construct of “folders” – in a connected relational structure like X, it simply isn’t really a very useful construct any longer. Folders under the finder are simply “located” – but in a relational DB, assets are connected. In X, the digital clip file itself is just another piece of referenced data – not much more important than anything else. It’s the relationship between it and all the other metadata that matters. And in order to give you the new incredibly power of the tagging and effects interconnections, the program has to store assets in specific places it can depend on. So when you start moving stuff, you’re going to screw the connections up.
X is NOT like Legacy. Some parts of it may appear to be. (the primary storyline looks kinda like a timeline) but it’s not.
After a few months, you’ll start to understand why it works the way it does. But the worst mistake you can make is trying to operate it “like Legacy” – if you approach it like that – you’ll be fighting it more than learning it.
Read, explore – learn how it DOES work – not how your past experience leads you to think it should work.
When things finally “click” you’ll start seeing that the program is the sum of a whole world of new thinking – not just a few changes grafted on top of the old way we used to do things.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Sure.
Get the Intelligent Assistance Event Manager X Program.
You can easily make visible and invisible projects at will by moving them on or off the root drives. So the instructor can make students projects appear or disappear from shared storage at will.
(I thought you could do this via Thumb Drives, but I was wrong. Appears X only recognizes drives, not memory sticks.)
Interestng.
Done.
Done.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[David Roth Weiss] “There you go Bill, that explains a lot. Now I truly understand our stylistic differences and their origins.
“Yes David, I get it.
You are thoughtful and incisive and clever.
I am verbose, stupid and not worthy of intelligent consideration.
I’m absolutely sure that everyone here will be glad that you’ve cleared this up for all those who would otherwise be too thick to make up their own minds about such stuff.
I continue to stand in awe of your public service largesse?
: )
Point for you, sir. Well played.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
March 30, 2012 at 5:32 am in reply to: Illustrator turns 25 today. Thoughts on it, Luddites and FCP X[Walter Soyka] “Unless FCPX develops some sort of metadata portability, will it ever be more than this?
“I think so.
The dreaded analogy is the iPod story. Apple (and/or Jobs) didn’t invent the personal portable player, the digital cataloging idea, or the hard disk tech that enabled it.
He just combined all of those existing technologies into a comprehensive, easy to approach whole – simultaneously taking the “friction” out of obtaining the music the public wanted at terms they preferred – and in doing so, changed everything.
I think X is on a similar path. Increasingly, people want to edit visual content for themselves. Faced with that, the older creation tools were largely over designed and too complex for all the but top level specialists.
X won’t make everyone an editor. (neither will iMovie or a video editing app that Windows 8 might provide.) Editing is simply too time consuming and complex for all but the dedicated and those who need to make video to try to drive financial results in some fashion. But it will make it possible for more people to edit at more levels then in the past.
And that will be an overall boon to society – but will come at a price to both specialists and to the general audience who will have to learn to better “filter” out the core of the flood of public messages that can increasingly be built with more sophistication by more editors – including content that can be mis-leading or down right fraudulent.
Things are changing. X is just a part of that. I feel it will become a serious contender, precisely because the foundational thinking behind it matches very closely what a modern mass business audience wants a smart business visual communications editing app to be.
We’ll see.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Lance Bachelder] “Way to use a old video clip to get a couple of left-wing, anti-Christian hate-speak jabs in there Bill. Real class.
“Huh?
In what way is what I posted ANY of these?
It’s not “left wing” to note that Fox has a point of view. So does MSNBC. Fox actually has attempted to brand themselves directly as “fair and balanced” – if people feel that’s factual, then any allegation of mine is insignificant. Plus, I don’t think it’s “left wing” to reflect the fact that Roger Ailes and FOX started the modern trend toward advocacy journalism. It’s historically accurate. Study after study confirm it. They have a point of view and promote it in much of their line-up. Again, just as does MSNBC. These are the facts of modern broadcasting, like it or not.
And Anti-Christian? How so? I have much personal admiration for Christianity’s role in moving civilization forward. I just separate religion and religious fundraising. Actually, the founder of the CBN – Mr. Robertson is the son of a Democratic Senator. So what’s the “political” point here? I don’t argue with his religious beliefs, OR his ancestry -I just question his fundraising tactics.
Since the mid 1970s he’s been proclaiming that the “end is coming – as a pretty transparent fundraising tactic constantly. Do a wikipedia search. They have a nice list of his doomsday predictions just in the previous decade. He keeps predicting things and keeps being factually wrong. That’s the 700 club problem – not that it’s religious – but that it’s track record of accuracy is abysmal in factual matters.I admire most honest religious people. Particularly the ones that walk their talk. Every time some member of any church reaches out and helps feed the hungry or shelters the poor, I salute them. That matters. And that’s good IMO. Spending zillions of their tax free loot to effect political matters – not so good in my opinion – but nobody asks me, nor should they. My personal feeling is that if nobody was hungry or poor or sick, then I might better support the modern nexus of politics and religion, But that’s not really my business. Still, I can have an opinion and that’s all I put here.
And as to the “hate speak” stuff you’re trying to tag m with, I keep looking at what i wrote…
___
And Fox news is the best journalism ever.
And the 700 club is the best manifestation of religion, ever.
And real Coke is the best drink ever.
And my baby is the best looking baby ever.
___and I think only someone with extremely thin skin and a bit of a persecution complex would likely read ANY of that as “hate speech.”
That’s my take. I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on why what I wrote should be taken as you describe it.
Enlighten me, please. What of those words are the “hate jab” ones exactly?
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Sorry, missed it.
Actually the more I though about this video, the more interesting it is to me.
I wonder whether it was a “personal expression” or something produced with an agenda by a stakeholder.
(could easily go either way, IMO)
It is interesting in that it employs some modern “push messaging” in a pretty sophisticated way to mold opinion by taking a clear position and eliminating any contrary ideas from the presentation.
In that way it’s very like modern political messaging.
Makes me curious if modern media is making it seem “normal” to do this kind of public opinion molding by attempting to attach emotion to single issue advocacy (emo music et al)- and how that will increasingly impact marketing and public opinion in the future.
It’s a fascinating time when everyone can access anything and we accept having NO clue as to any linkage about the creator’s identity or possible purpose.
Not saying this is wrong in any way. Just interested in how things are evolving in a viral video world – where there’s no way to determine who made the political ad we had to sit through in order to watch a cute singer on the late show last night?
Interesting new place to be in a world where there’s diminishing barriers to content creation.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
March 29, 2012 at 10:10 pm in reply to: Illustrator turns 25 today. Thoughts on it, Luddites and FCP XNope Chris,
I’m supposed to be the Saleari (sp) of posting. The untalented hack that can’t grasp that he simply lacks Mozart’s talent yet THINKS he does.
It does beg the question, I suppose who gets the Mozart role here.
I doubt DRW thinks it’s him.
So whom?
Walter, perhaps?
I hesitate to nominate Randy Ubillos – but in truth, as the lead designer of more than one of the most successful NLES on the planet, he’s probably the closest we’ve got.
Then again, he still has his active finger prints all over X, so I suspect that no matter how smart, experienced or capable he might be – the priesthood of the Great Church of Traditional Editing (at least via it’s priesthood represented here) has branded him a heretic so no statues are to be allowed during his lifetime.
Faith is such a cruel mistress.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor