Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
[Daniel Frome] “Just curious: if someone else has the same clip on their computers, can you transfer your keywords over ot them, thus giving them the same collections of that clip as you’ve got?”
Not yet.
Remember this is just a dumb little $299 app. Not a decades old construct after 100s of revs and improvements!
Also, on a more serious note, I honestly think that like with most of Apple’s development, they think first in terms of “personal empowerment” then leverage that into group situations.
Look at the iPad. It was born as a personal device. Version 1 had little infrastructure beyond the “one user, one brain” mode. Now, because it’s flooding into corporate America, Apple is doing a LOT with third party developers and enabling pathways to allow corporate customers to manage the device on a more centralized basis. Deployment of apps, remote wipe (to secure corporate content) and similar features are being added rapidly. But the individual empowerment foundations have made a device so simple to approach that it’s reduced training to virtually nothing.
I’m noted this before but I work with large companies that have simply “given” iPads to their entire sales force well in advance of when the company actually plans to use them – simply to let their employees teach themselves how to use the device and avoid all training costs and hassles.
The point is that Apple’s habit and history of success is to build for the individual user first – to build an app that will work for one operator extremely well – and THEN to leverage it out into the wider world.
There’s a lot of new plumbing in X. And lots of potential export and import hooks like the Share Menu and the Event Browser that are ripe for collaborative workflows. But right now, it’s a personal editor at heart.
Time will tell how and if it expands.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Jim Giberti] “[Oliver Peters] “Hijacking SuperMeet last year doesn’t count ;-)”
And that went so well, I can’t believe they’re not hijacking more events .
Do we expect Adobe to premiere Premiere at NAB?
“Actually it couldn’t have gone any better.
It’s all everyone here has talked about here for the entire year, after all!
“I don’t care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right.”
variously attributed to folks from May West to Mark Twain et al.; )
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Simon Ubsdell] “Not really any doubt about it. This is not, repeat not, a mastering format as I am sure you are aware.
Simon Ubsdell
https://www.tokyo-uk.com“Yes, we agree.
It’s not a “mastering” format. But it’s still very useful – particularly in the connected world of X.
This function is precisely what the OP asked about. A sharing version that can be trusted to be the same every time you access it, no matter whether the original media is present or not.
Which is exactly what I think he was looking for. Unless I mistook his intent.
For the lurkers, again, I agree with Simon here. If your intent is to make a MASTER file for final output – then you should go to the Export Media function (control E.) and create a formal master with the compression you prefer.
But if you’re intent is to share progress states of your work – and if you’re having problems because you’re storage or workflow is such that you like to move projects on and off-line for capacity management purposes – or if you’re having problems with project elements “shifting” or substituting out for whatever reason – then the new FCP-X Media Browser joins e-Mail share and the links to YouTube and Vimeo as fast client proofing options that are pretty flexible in X and that we didn’t have in Legacy.
Nothing more than that.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
X does things a bit more “visually”
Here’s a pair of screen shots of the Event Browser in action. In the first shot, the selection is the entire event library – giving me scrolling clip access to the 170 scenes in this project. In the second, I’ve just clicked on “Entertainment”as a keyword collection (upper left display) – which brings up every instance of every range where I’ve attached Entertainment as a keyword. Across all events.
It’s instant. Visual. and useful since I can further “sub range” anything I like and add or remove new keywords right from here as the spirit moves me.
The point of X is largely that the database is constantly “live” and key wording by clip, OR by range, using individual or multiple keywords over any and all range selections is pretty dynamic.
As someone who finds visual info often superior to plain text at least in editing contexts. (I’ve got a lot of scenes with firetrucks – which is the one I want?) I like the way X does this a lot.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Simon Ubsdell] ” can’t see any benefit in having an MPEG-4 version instead with all the compression artefacts that you are going to throw at your pristine program material.
This Media Browser option is really just meant so you can easily make an iPod/Phone/Pad/Apple TV version with one hit.
“I don’t think so Simon,
There’s a separate function for doing iPod/Phone/Pad/Apple TV versions one menu choice directly below the Media Browser in their own space (iDevices.)
The Apple designers are a lot of things, but this kind of “two menus next to each other to do the exact same thing” – sloppy they are not.
Clearly they have a purpose in mind for the Media Browser under Share. The difference seems to be that it’s connected directly into a dedicated space (the Sharing folder) in the Project Library which the other export options in Share are not.
Why?
That’s what I’m trying to work out.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Craig Alan] “The reason I ask is that this issue was a big cry from the pros that they didn’t want different clients seeing each other’s files. What if they were created in different user accounts?”
Craig,
A few things to consider.
I think some of the “pros didn’t want different clients seeing each other’s files” was a bit overblown back in the early days of X. The design does value making the largest possible pool of events available to the editor a priority.
However, the way the event browser is structured, you can easily create folders with ID numbers and tuck all of “Client B’s” work in one, Client C’s work in another – and at the event browser level, those projects (and even the names of the clients would remain hidden from casual view.
Still those files, while not “visible” would be accessible if someone went looking for them in an unsupervised setting. So in that case, Intelligent Assistants Project Manager X provides the next level – making whole projects functionally “invisible” to anyone using X by taking them off-line entirely until you use PMX to reveal them.
Since that lets you control which events and projects get mounted, you can easily mount “global assets” projects and just keep individual students work hidden.
So yes, you can do what you’re talking about with X through that third party solution.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Simon Ubsdell] “I’m not sure this is right, is it?
The Media Browser makes MPEG-4 files that will play back on other i-Devices or a computer. As such it’s not really an option for backing up your project.
Simon Ubsdell
https://www.tokyo-uk.com“Sinon,
I’m not saying it backs up your PROJECT. Just that it creates a persistent copy of the current OUTPUT state of your project. Yes, it’s an MPEG-4 file. But if you elect to Share a high quality version at any point, then you have quite a bit of protection from your project going offline or losing any clip connections – since it appears to be a project version that X can load regardless of the presence of the source clips -and also one that you can use to create new export clips with different encodings.
It’s NOT a backup of all the data in a particular even or even a particular project. But if someone is having difficulties with losing data connections that specify something like the location of titles as with the OP – this might be a useful strategy for solving that problem.
If your project “SHARES” properly – then there’s no longer a need to worry about whether or not what you’ve sending to a client might have changed subsequently without your being aware of it.
This has potential not just for single operators, but for collaborative workflows where the timeline version of something and the “share” version might be subtly different.
Again, I’m trying to learn about it and how it might benefit other producers/editors.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Andrew,
Thanks for that. Very interesting.
So in the classroom example, I presume all the teacher (or school system it admin) would have to do is format a bunch of cheap thumb drives as HFS+ and then the students can keep their own Events and Projects on their own memory sticks – and those projects would simply be available for individual student use by plugging them into the host computer running X.
That would be a great solution in any circumstance where you don’t want group storage and group access to individual projects.
Wish I had time to test it out.
Anyone?
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Herb Sevush] “Which is one of the reasons X works for you. My work requires a 16 Terabyte Raid that needs to be about 10x as fast as your drive and sits in an enclosure about 70% as large as my Mac Pro tower.”
Agreed.
The larger question perhaps, is how many editors need what you need. Verses how many need what I need.
I think you’ve got your priorities exactly right, Herb. Keep your existing structure intact. Keep one eye on the future by watching the development path of tools like X, Avid and Premier. And if one is not at the place where it meets your needs when you have to switch – make a change.
In the interim, there are literally legions of editors like me who can benefit hugely from the new and improved capabilities that are built into X. Provided those editors don’t get confused by the constant inaccurate arguments that because X is not the right tool for one editor – that somehow means it’s not the right one for all editors.
By posting that picture, I was trying to illuminate how X functions. For anyone who needs a reasonable number of projects available “live” at one time – wants a tool that can manage them flexibly – and perhaps someone who could use the ability to search across pools of visual assets easily in a low cost system – X rocks.
For working professional content creators.
Nothing more than that.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Hang with me here.
I’ve been trying to systematically explore some of the menus I don’t use much and spent some time Saturday with the Share menu.
We all know that X is really just a big mass of meta-data referencing stuff and building up layers of data temporarily and persistently as needed.
Anyway, I was looking at the very first menu under Share – the Media Browser. I haven’t actually ever used it till now. But essentially it lets you burn a “digital copy” of your current timeline to a place in your Project Library call the Sharing Folder.
This appears to be a “persistent” picture of your work timeline in output formate right now. Even if your assets go off-line, this share copy is referenced by X to keep your project from going “off-line” in the project library and allows other parts of X to work with it to export, transcode and otherwise benefit from your work in progress.
If you make changes to a file, you can “re-publish” the updates to this Sharing folder with a click.
It’s like the place that feeds the Project Library and that the Project Library references when you want to output a new version of one of your projects.
The reason I bring this up is because this might be a way to “preserve” your work in the state you like it, before you shut down.
Again, this is new to me. And I’m guessing.
But this Sharing idea is worth some exploration. And if you’re having problems with your projects not being “persistent” enough in their timeline state. I bet Sharing them might solve that.
If after “sharing” – your jumpy menus are where you want them. I bet you can depend on them to be there when you output the client file.
Food for thought.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor

