Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
[Aindreas Gallagher] “personal name and [love the walloping emphasis there by the way] your corporate affiliation”
Gosh darnit Aindreas, you’ve got me confused again.
Back when I was using ALL CAPS for emphasis, I was criticized. So I taught myself to use the Bold and the Italics conventions here.
Now you’re telling me that I’ve’ achieved not emphasis, but some form of annoying “walloping emphasis” – a convention that I had absolutely no clue even existed.
Can somebody please (praying that by using italics I’m not somehow signaling condescending annoyance or something worse) tell me the rules for proper expression here?
Is there a universal style “ladder of emotive word stress” in play here that I simply don’t understand???
Or must I allow Aindreas to interpret my text stylings in any fashion he likes, rendering it impossible to ever write with anything other than drone-like expository levelness here.
I’m so confused.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Tim Wilson] “”….gesture of truce….”
An overture to make up?
I hereby promise one (1) real pony to anyone who can provide a picture of these two kissing. Whatever happens in Vegas….could be worth a real pony to you.
I’m just saying.”
Tim, you’re getting yourself in serious trouble here.
You’re probably not aware that I live on a horse property in Scottsdale and that my studio is in a converted hay barn…?
Heck, I’d probably kiss not just just David, but David, Herb, and and Andreas for half the hammer price of a decent pony.
So stop tempting me – vegas is nothing if not expensive – and as a sole proprietor, I have to pay my own way every damn year!
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Just to confirm this overall, that’s all I ever do.
I go to the Share Menu – click DVD – and after making a few selections (and maybe using the “export still” to make a nicer disk label) – I’ve been burning the few client review DVDs that folks are still requiring right out of X.
It’s simple and reliable for me.
Remember, that the process still requires MPEG-2 Enccoding and the result has to fit in the 4gig DVD bit bucket – so I guess it’s possible that there are issues of too much content, too little RAM, too little disc space for processing overhead or some processor performance issues in the way.
I’ve never looked into those because I haven’t had any problems making DVDs out of X myself.
So all I can say with assuranceis that it’s possible for the program – and actually down right easy.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[John Godwin] “Not to give unsolicited advice, but perhaps you shouldn’t be quite so judgmental without full command of the facts, as stated in your signature tag, which I admire greatly.
Best,
John”OK, Sorry.
But I simply didn’t recognize your name – so I responded as if you might be someone new to things, inadvertently. I was wrong. I apologize. I tried to be clear in my post that my advice was largely for the less experienced readers who come here week after week trying to learn the craft.
There tends to be more of them – particularly in the audio discussions – then long time vets.
I freely admit that all of us find ourselves in circumstances where the best we can do is the best we can do.
Hope shoots (and clients) like the ones you described are fewer and fewer and farther and farther between for both of us.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[David Roth Weiss] “Apple has created havoc throughout the industry I love for the majority of the colleagues and professionals I have supported throughout the years”
Please. I don’t know what your day is like, but mine is singularly “havoc free.” In fact I don’t know a single editor anywhere who expresses the view that the current editing world is in “havoc” except you.
It’s editing software, David. Not religion.
If what X actually is – in its new incarnation – doesn’t work for you, leave it for a while. If and when it’s new path coincides with what you might need in the future, come back.
David, Apple didn’t go out to hurt YOU any more than they went out to make ME happy. We’re neither of us particularly important in the great scheme of things.
This squabble is also getting old and tiring. It contributes nothing to anyones understanding of the reality of the new software or it’s possibilities.
That’s the real problem here. I see your original post here as largely unsubstantiated broad opinion.
If, as you contend, there’s “havoc” surrounding this. Tell us about it. Tell us what companies are at risk of going under because X supplanted Legacy. Why? Why wouldn’t anything else work for them.
I don’t stand against differing opinions. I enjoy them. I stand against broad assertions without foundation. So provide some. Then we can talk about them.
Impersonally and logically. You seem to “hate” magnetism. OK. How much do you use it? What makes you so angry about it. Why can’t you just work in “position” mode and avoid it. Does it NEVER work for you under ANY circumstances? Editors here would probably find that both revealing and interesting.
I’ve noted that for me, it was “odd” for about a week of solid use – then it became nothing more or less than “normal.” I stopped fighting it – in fact I largely stopped even thinking about it kinda like a properly learned keyboard shortcut. Now for me it’s simply how things work.
I’m not a particularly gifted editor. Why does it work for me and not for you? Wouldn’t that be a more productive discussion than just popping up and crying “havoc!” in order to let slip the dogs of NLE war? (couldn’t resist, sorry. )
And I’m curious as to why you’re still ranting against it. (Didn’t someone here say that some new version of Premier has some form of “magnetism” inside it?) if magnetism is ipso-facto useless – or just useless in X? And if so, why?
These are more interesting discussions, I believe, than the mindless “it’s crap because I allege so” rants.
On either side.
As a gesture of truce, If you’re coming to the meet-up in NAB, I’m hereby volunteering to stand your first round at the Fortuna – in the hopes that it will let us shake hands and allow you to simply settle down and stop seeing me – and the others who enjoy working with FCP-X – as some kind of “evil minions” that must be fought at all costs.
We’re all just editors who are discussing our tools. Nothing more or less.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[David Roth Weiss] “And, for those wondering what constitutes a “real” FCP user in my opinion, I mean those who use and demand non-magnetic timelines, a Viewer and a Canvas, and XML (not FCPXML). 🙂
Okay, let the flaming begin… 🙂
“No flaming at all – just observation.
I guess since you’re posting here under both your personal name and your corporate affiliation, means that neither you nor ProMax cares about those of us who don’t directly share your views.
Fair enough.
But it strikes me that your company founder, the late (and much missed) Charles McConathy never expressed these kinds of insular and exclusionary views – at least not to me in our NAB chats when I had the privilege of sitting down with him to shared a few after hours drinks and learn from his almost inexhaustible knowledge of hard drive sub-systems.
I always found him to represent the polar opposite of that kind of thinking – welcoming even small time guys like me into the fold and shipping ProMax systems anywhere and to anyone who needed them (including me in the Wilds of Arizona) – rather than separating us into “worthy” and “clearly not-worthy” customer groups.
But then times move on, and companies obviously come to reflect the people who represent them in each new era.
Such is life.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[John Godwin] “Thanks for the replies. Out shooting for a couple of days. Now I’m working my way through all the filters to see if anything helps. This is some nasty noise.”
Hate to point it out – but weren’t you wearing headphones during the shoot?
Didn’t you know there was a problem?
This is basically for the new folks who come here to learn but over and over and over again I see young guys with cameras operating without monitoring their audio.
They would never even imagine shooting video with their viewfinder or monitor shut off so that they can’t even see the picture they’re shooting – but they’re all too happy to record sound without listening to it.
This post is about the kind of result you get.
To be fair, the OP may well have been in a “back against the wall” situation – with no mic alternative, mic technique alternative, no location change alternative, and no other way to do anything else to make this better – but in my experience that’s really, really rare.
If you hear noise that’s this distracting in a field recording situation, there are 10 things you can usually do to make it better “in the field” – and at best one or two “maybe” things you can do in post to correct it.
You can’t fix what you can’t hear. And if you’re not prepared to listen to your work in the field – you are NOT ready to record sound in the field, IMO.
That’s kinda harsh – but it’s also kinda true.
Don’t let this important lesson go to waste.
NEVER shoot sound without listening to that sound. And learn what to listen for so that when you get back to the edit bay – you don’t get theses kind of nasty surprises.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Call it up on the screen.
Hit Command-Shift 4.
Your cursor will turn into a selection target.
Use this to draw a rectangle around whatever you want to capture from the screen.
When you release the mouse button, you’ll hear a “click” and the screen grab will show up on your desktop.
Unless you’ve “remapped” your keyboard somehow – that’s it.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
April 7, 2012 at 1:47 am in reply to: Lots of stray single frames left over after edits in magnetic timelineAlso in X, editing is easier if you learn about the different “automatic” edit modes.
Use the up and down arrows to navigate your position indicator to any current edit where you want to insert or append a shot. Then a single keystroke like W for insert the shot at the playhead, D for overwrite, Q for connect a clip above the current timeline (cutaway) or E (“attach this clip at the END of my timeline”) are easy ways to build a basic rough edit.
Using this system you seldom have to use your mouse or get a shot placed at the wrong location.
The up and down arrows are the navigation keys. They let you get close, then the forward and back keys let you fine tune the playhead position. They move the playhead one frame forward or back – but if you use them with the shift key – they jump things in 5 frame increments for faster positioning.
X is built for keyboard fast editing more than mouse editing, IMO. Both work, but the keys are much, much quicker and more precise.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Happy to help.
I actually don’t arrive in Vegas until noon Monday – so depending on check in and the shuttle/cab/monorail situation, I’m hoping that 3 hrs is enough – it should be fine.
Now all I need is Craig to show up for moral support. Craig? Dude? are you going to be at NAB?
I know a lot of folks at PetSmart in the Corporate headquarters. I can probably score some free cat toys for you. Just sayin’
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor