Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
Bill Davis
April 12, 2012 at 5:49 am in reply to: change name of clip in browser and ripple to project?[Tony Sarafoski] ” I know it’s tedious, but unfortunately there arnt many choices right now.
“For kinda good reasons.
X is built around a cascading metadata flow. Metadata attached to camera clips flow into the event browser, where it’s added to or amended by the user, then the metadata from this state flows into the Timeline clips.
It’s “one direction” by design.
That’s why changes you make in the event browser “stick” are become available for use in unlimited subsequent project – and when they hit THOSE timelines – you don’t want a change made at the end of the chain to “flow” back up to the event browser – and therefore to constantly change the default state of your EB clip.
If you allow every change in a clip on the timeline to reflect back to the source clip in the EB, then every time you go back to the EB, you couldn’t depend on the clip to be in a reliable state. It would instead be in the “last state” anyone applied in the timeline.
Imagine that in a world where multiple editors want to use a centrally stored clip… the clip is tinted blue now, but when you go to grab it three seconds later, it’s pink – because someone down stream changed the tint and it reflected back to the base clip in the EB.
That’s a nightmare.
X is metadata, metadata needs a clear flow – particularly in a relational database where everything remains virtually linked to everything else.
Same old story. If you try to approach how X works exclusively by how thinking has been conditioned by how other NLES used to work – you’re going to be fighting things a LOT more than you need to.
FWIW.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
You’re making this too difficult.
Get a Firewire 800 drive. You can get a 750 gig one for about $150 or so.
Whereever your project is currently stored, use the “Move” command in X to put your entire project including all the events and all your media onto that drive.
Then as long as the program (FCP-X) is on both machines, plugging in the drive will “launch” your project and “read in” all the clips – and you can edit on each machine as you need.
There’s no need to duplicate projects or media folders anywhere.
I work on multiple projects and have “reclaimed” more than 100 gigs off my boot drive on my laptop once I figured out that I didn’t need to store much of anything on my laptop drive when using externals for “whole project” backup.
The first time you open the project off the new drive, there might be some housekeeping necessary as X figure out where everything is – but after a bit of linking and internal directory building, all the proper render files and connection locations will be sorted out by the program and as soon as you connect the drive to ANY machine running the same version of X, all your work will just auto-launch and be available in a few seconds.
That’s it.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
April 12, 2012 at 2:14 am in reply to: Apple finally updating their online FCPX Pro marketingIn the Jeopardy category of “people ahead of their time in the arts”
One clearly acceptable answer for my money has always been “David Byrne”“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Bill Davis
April 11, 2012 at 10:00 pm in reply to: Apple finally updating their online FCPX Pro marketingI wonder…
is looking for clues about unannounced tech products in promotional photos the modern era equivalent of primitive people trying to devine the future by reading the “entrails” of various animals?
After all, a talented photoshop wizard can pretty much put anything in an ad for anything these days.
So I’ve kinda stopped considering photos as evidence of much at all.
Just a side note.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “I was so excited I misspelled Panasonic. Now corrected.
Jeremy”
You aren’t the first, Jeremy.
I remember my first grown up trip to NYC – and was walking by a typical electronic store in midtown Manhattan – and saw the very, very aggressive price on a Panasonic component I’d been thinking about buying. Was about to enter the store when I suddenly noticed that there was an extra “o” in the Panasoanic box graphics….
(grin)
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Doesn’t that LaCie hub kinda solve this?
If you have a one to many hub, how important is loop through any more?
Granted, it requires power, but at such low levels, that I can’t believe that the market won’t enable a battery powered hub that can do this.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
[Walter Soyka] ” I think there’s a gulf opening up in between the ones who feel they need things like quality monitoring and the ones who feel they can get good enough results more cheaply without them. Which set will be rewarded by the market is an open question.
Which set will be targeted by Apple, and if Apple even believes in target markets, are also open questions.”
Walter,
I’m going to push back a bit on the start of this.
Everyone feels they need “quality monitoring.” Everyone. Even those who don’t know precisely what that is or how to implement/use it.
The problem is that quality monitoring is not trivial. And the target market for “accuracy” (the professional approach) has to co-exist with the broader market that values “looks satisfyingly beautiful to my eyes” – which is a much, much, much bigger market.
But underneath that reality is another one. If you can make the pretty monitor – it’s not so near as difficult to make the accurate one. You’re just “incrementing” your corporate research – not duplicating it.
I think Apple’s approach is to constantly assess what technology can provide. And target that technology to provide the solutions that satisfy their customers, since that’s the only rational approach to any business.
The real question here is how large fundamental gap might be between what separates the amateur and the pro – whether that gap is narrowing – and whether or not evolving technology can provide solutions that work in a satisfying fashion for both customers.
Most in this forum are elite users. They want solutions for their very specialized needs that have evolved to represent the top tier of professional use. But that’s rarely where Apple has ever initially focused.
They’ve always focused on a “bottom up” strategy – solving (and sometimes inventing) for the needs of the many first – then refining those needs over time. Often, and Legacy is a great example here – those solutions prove such an outstanding value and have so many of the capabilities that fit with professional needs, that they take over whole market segments.
And they continue to evolve until they not only work for the masses – but they also work for the specialists.
While Apple solutions seldom do that “out of the box” they very often develop into that over time.
Apple’s distinctive view is, I think, centered largely upon personal empowerment through technology. My emphasis on personal. Not group empowerment, nor specialist empowerment, nor corporate empowerment, but individual and very personal empowerment.
That drives their thinking.
And it drives X’s design. It’s a superb tool for the individual video maker right now. With lots of capabilities at an astonishingly affordable price.
And the good news, is that each and every one of those individual users wants a display that is as good as it can be.
When the entire market is consumers, that means bright, shiny pictures that pop. But Apple has shown that over and over again they’re not satisfied at stopping there. I think the way they see it, if they can make a few changes and offer a matte screen – or one with more accurate colorometry – that a make a particular device significantly more attractive to another half million fashion designers, or video pros, or food stylists – without at all screwing up their one million base of less demanding “consumer” users, they will probably do so.
Not purely for sales, but because they fundamentally understand that research and invention are the foundations of continued sales success. And if nothing else, their aggressive stance in the patented technology space shows that they’re as concerned with building their patent portfolio as they are with building iMac sales.
Apple fundamentally understand that one drives the other. And having the engineering in place to make a more “video friendly” unit of any device is just smart basic business in a world where every larger legions of humans what to make video as well as consume it.
My thinking anyway.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
No, exactly wrong.
The “aggression” such as is was was nearly exclusively contained in David’s initial post, IMO.
[David Roth Weiss] “And, for those wondering what constitutes a “real” FCP user in my opinion, I mean those who use and demand non-magnetic timelines, a Viewer and a Canvas, and XML (not FCPXML). 🙂
Okay, let the flaming begin… 🙂
“You might agree with his view. But that don’t mean it wasn’t an aggressive attack on anyone who’s expressed appreciation for the list of things he called out by name.
And I’m as firmly in that group as anyone who’s been reading here for long will certainly agree.
Maybe you don’t read that as “aggressive. I do.
I’m not quite sure how he justifies that view when the fact of the matter is that he’s bucketing all “real” FCP users as those who base their practice on discontinued software – but his language is crystal clear.
What you’ve called my “passive-aggressive” response started with the words:
No flaming at all – just observation.
Then I pointed out that my experience with ProMax years ago was one of a company that welcomed all users, no matter their experience level and their NLE preferences, I think that was on-point.
Maybe something that I wrote could be taken as “passive aggressive” if read with a particular tone or slant, but it certainly was not meant that way.
I was once again using a personal anecdote to make a point. I”v been slammed for using analogy.
Oh gosh.
Am I missing the larger point here.
Is there a movement afloat to deny me the use of ANY writing device that starts with the letter A?
I got hammered for analogy.
Now I’m taken to task for aggression (albeit in the passive variety)
Dammit, that totally blows my master plan for a massive post rife with alliteration.
The last thing I want is to continue to make Chris and Aindreas even snippier by pure accident.
; )
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Look,
I’ve been posting here practically since this part of the Cow was introduced. Everyone knows my positions and the kind of arguments I make. They know I tend to be kinda long winded when I’m putting down my thoughts. But so what?
I was dead serious about this. If someone feels I’m so off base – or my arguments makes them feel uncomfortable, or they just feel that my observations and arguments aren’t worth their time – its not like each and every one of my posts don’t come per-billboarded with my name. So what’s the big deal?
Just don’t open them. Problem solved. Nobody is forcing you to read them.
But if the best you can come up with in terms of criticism is that they’re “too long” -wow.
Maybe you can see it this way. Every time you don’t read a post of mine, your saving yourself more time than you would by not reading someone else’s posts! It’s a bigger win for you that way!
That help?
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor
-
Here’s a tip.
I enjoy writing.
Anyone who doesn’t enjoy reading what I write has an instant cure at hand.
Stop reading.
“Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions.”-Justice O’Connor