Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
I had considered making the trip with my wife, but then realized that my nephews wedding in Hawaii will conflict. We get back from that trip Sept 4 and would have had to fly out just a couple of days later. With the Creative Summit in August that’s just too much long travel and lost productivity time. Decided to pass. Next year, hopefully.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
August 19, 2016 at 9:43 pm in reply to: 6 months in with FCPX… my feature requests (FWIW)…[Steve Connor] “Told ya!”
I”m here to please!
; )Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
August 19, 2016 at 9:42 pm in reply to: 6 months in with FCPX… my feature requests (FWIW)…Lance.
I’d be pleased if, in the future, you’d respond to what I actually wrote – rather than how what I write makes you feel.
I never used the word moron.
I never used the word idiot.
I never used the word “perfect” to describe FCP X.I’ll specifically refer you to this line in my original post: “Sure, they still have wants and preferences that X is not fully meeting.”
I think that fully addresses the type of thing you’re pointing out.
You’re a writer. So I have a presumption that you understand the meaning of the words people use.
So please give me the courtesy of discussing what I’ve ACTUALLY written – rather than what you think it means.I’d appreciate it.
Thanks.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
August 19, 2016 at 7:34 pm in reply to: 6 months in with FCPX… my feature requests (FWIW)…Okay, here you go.
Over the last 5 years, I’ve seen dozens and dozens of editors like you make the same journey you’re making right now.
I’d describe them as very experienced editors who come to X with long, hard won experience in the industry.
They generally all make exactly the same observations you’re making – at the point you’ve reached in your progression.
And to a one, after more time – they all generally STOP doing what you’re doing – which is wasting their time trying to make X meet the conditions of their prior expectations, rather than to learn to work the way X was designed to work.
When they do that – everything changes. They stop fighting it and learn that suddenly what X is RIGHT NOW is making their editing faster and more enjoyably than they’ve ever experienced before. . Sure, they still have wants and preferences that X is not fully meeting. But almost to a one – they are TOTALLY unwilling to give up what they have – to regain what they used to think was the most important things about how their prior workflows operated.
You have ever right to complain and push back and fight how X works (or doesn’t work) and how that fits with how you currently think. But it doesn’t change the fact that I’ve seen guys just like you get frustrated after six months – go back to their other preferred NLEs for even MONTHS – and then after long projects, finally give in and come running back to X.
Because it’s an exceptional, modern super-efficient editing system after you actually stop fighting it and learn enough about how it actually works.
Yes, you WILL eventually come around to it. Or you won’t. But the difference isn’t actually the program. It’s the users attitude.
Just what you were looking for in a response, right? ; )
There you go.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Joe Marler] “That said, editing H264 4k will bog down many systems which seemed very fast on 1080p”
Sure, but that’s the whole point of the “referential metadata system” architecture and transcode capabilities in X.
Unless you’re doing something like an “at the site” super fast event turnaround or breaking news, most workflows let you do the overnight transcode from those “hard to process” formats into ProRes and/or Proxy – and those cut like Butter on a rMBPro.
And if you ARE in that quick turn situation, just originate in ProRes. Problem solved.
That’s the beauty of the X referential system.
Cut on what a laptop processes best, then just point all those decisions to the original media pool – whether that’s hard to parse h-264 files or Red Dragon monster files.
The process remains the same.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
The “rights and stuff” is not trivial.
It’s the reason all of us who try to post visual examples of the concepts we are learning and discussing – generally have to post our examples using the LAMEST projects we have worked on!
It’s only the minor and self-funded work we hold the clear rights to post about.
Trust me, It’s really annoying to have something complex sitting on your machine that a lot of people could potentially benefit from discussing – and knowing you can’t show it to anyone without going through a huge time sucking hassle.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
This does not speak to the original problem except peripherally.
Having spent 15 years in an “against the wall” equipment setup with 75+ devices, lights and wall-warts plugged into outlet boxes and probably 200 signal lines connecting everything behind the desks – I pledged myself two things when I moved.
A) I’ll NEVER again put a desk against a wall. I know this stuff is supposed to get installed once and done, but the reality is that gear and peripherals revise and appear so often these days, that there was seldom a quarter where I didn’t spend a couple of days on my back under my desk doing something. Today, my desk is set as a peninsula off one wall – and I couldn’t be happier about it. The wall/desktop orientation is selected, whenever possible, based on where the windows are for monitor/reflection mitigation.
B) I’ll second the concept for tagging both ends of every line. I also bundle in no more than 5 lines at a time. Those can be zip tied to other bundles, but it’s much easier to replace a coax run with an HDMI run if you don’t have to unbundle and de- braid everything in a 20 line package.
C) There used to be never enough Edison outlets. Today, there are never enough wall wart friendly outlets.
just sayin’ YMMV.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
I know you guys are working with are larger RAID systems and this is not a direct comparison at all.
And certainly, if you have a truck sized load – only an idiot shows up to move it with a sports car.
And I further understand speed isn’t the only metric that counts…
That said, whenever I see these speed tests, It reminds me how lucky I am to be able to work on smaller scale projects in a mostly laptop driven environment. The speeds my 2015 rMBp achieves with the stock Apple configuration have been truly amazing!
When I think I can have access to a “laptop” which WAY outperforms systems costing thousands and thousands more it’s hard to conceptualize how far the entire computer industry has come during the modern era.
I suspect that when the industry re-conceptualizes the desktop systems in the same way they have with the “big sales driver” laptops – perhaps with ganged external connected GPUs and bigger pipes – it’s mind boggling to imagine how much performance will be within reach to so many creative workers.
I can certainly imagine a future where the cost of the equipment is negligible – compared to the acquisition of the skills and talent to operate it.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Have you tried Shazam or one of the similar music ID services? If it’s buyout – there’s a decent chance the library is registered there for matching.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
For the past 5 years, I’ve monitored exclusively via an inexpensive USB interface and it was surprisingly fine.
About 8 months ago I switched to a Zoom Tac-2 when I simplified things and replaced my older Mackie mixer so I have a thunderbolt audio tap now – but honestly, the sound isn’t actually any different to my ears.
I was buying a smaller footprint – as well as the convenience of the big knob design, and simplified mic/source level setting and that Thunderbolt virtually guaranteed zero latency. I was not trying to improve the actual sound. Because the older and less expensive USB tap didn’t really need sonic improving.
In a system designed to pass video around, even the most complex audio signal is trivial in comparison to my video signals. It just doesn’t seem to tax the system – so the quality of the busses used for output are all working well beyond the quality threshold I can perceive.
My 2 cents, anyway.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.
