Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
Shoot, I posted too fast…
Here’s a better intro video for the beast machine.The best moment is hands down the very last shot in the video.
A technological “banana for scale” WOW moment
; )
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.
-
Andrew – exactly this.
What I’m constantly interested in is how much actual difference is innolay when you choose one editing setup over another. It’s been 5 years now since I started migrating away from desktop editing to laptop editing. If I’m ever going to invest in a new desktop system, I need to know how much more performance I can expect.
Primarily because owning and operating two systems that do the same things doubles the depreciation – and in an era of rapid technological change – that cost accelerates – I think it’s smart to understand how big the ACTUAL gap is between the work I can do on my laptop compared to a desktop rig.
IME, that gap has been closing fast tho, of course, it still exists.
I just want to know how big it truly is before I need to write the next big check.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Shane Ross] “So now you are saying that that small car should be fine for me…it’ll just take a little longer? hmmmmmm….”
What I’m questioning is what’s commonly referred to as the “delta” between what’s achievable on one class machine compared to another.
For me, the delta of editing with X verses how I used to edit has been EXTREMELY large.
In fact the delta between my MacPro Cheesegrater and my current MacBook Pro is actually upside down. The laptop runs rings around my old desktop because – equipment advancements in virtually every area from GPUs to SSDs and beyond.
Now we’re in a realm of looking at whether the delta between a modern laptop and a modern desktop is wide or narrow.
No question it exists. But what’s the actual functional difference?
That full rez render or composite after all the editing is done? Is it 5 times as fast on a modern desktop rig compared to modern laptop? Twice as fast? Or just 10% faster?
Which of those deltas is in play tells you whether you NEED to remain in the desktop world or if the laptop (since it already at largely at parity via modern workflows on the pure editorial side) might be close enough on the grunt work to make It a reasonable choice to do everything for an editor.
For decades, ONLY a desktop rig handled the needs of working content creators. My question is “how true or false” is that today.
What’s the delta – basically.
Just an interesting question to contemplate.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Shane Ross] “I swear, these are more designed for the business professional than media…that’s the first thought they have. Media secondary. That’s what I gather when I see that they value lightness and battery power over RAM, decent GPU and faster CPUs.”
Shane,
You’re missing what Charlie is saying. (I think, he’s better able to say than me, surely)
But I think you keep getting stuck in the mindset that the only way to leap higher and higher walls is to develop stronger and stronger legs. But there is another way. Keep the same muscles – but lose some weight.
The “weight” in this case is the rasters we all need to manipulate. The old view was that bigger and bigger rasters need more grunt to push around. But that’s the exact opposite of the trends towards proxy and similar reference file editing. Today, you can make decisions on lightweight video streams and then just swap the pointers to the heavyweight streams after the metadata manipulation work is done.
THAT is what Apple is valuing. So you get both the ability to cut what you need to cut in the way you need to cut it – PLUS you don’t have to lug around heavyweight gear or be tied endlessly to a wall outlet at your desk in order to comfortably get your work done.
What you’re hearing from the new professional editors enjoying X is that they don’t have to work like they’ve been working for the past 20 years – with the same assumptions in place that defined their jobs for so long. Is a fire burning GPU nice? Sure. And if you spend most of your time doing full raster color correction for mastering – or gaming where virtual kill or be kill depends on performance – go for it!
But that has little to do with EDITORIAL judgement. I’m pretty sure guys like Herb and I have been making editorial judgements on SD sources just fine for decades. And ANY modern proxy file is likely to run quality rings around THAT when it comes to producing a quality image to cut. (Precisely why Premiere Pro added an X-like proxy system after 4 years, no?)
So what’s the point of thinking you can’t drive effectively unless you’re always at the wheel of a big assed house mover thingy – when what you’re actually doing most days is deciding how to arrange the lumber and create the house, not MOVE it yet?
Just makes no sense.
Particularly when the smaller vehicle can actually DO all the house moving as well, it just takes a bit longer than a machine designed specifically for house moving?
FWIW.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
January 4, 2017 at 2:10 am in reply to: ‘Delete’ button does not perform a ripple delete of in/out selections of single audio clipsSteve Martin did a MacBreak on this right after 10.3 shipped.
With all the new multitrack Roles management system now plumbed into X by default a keystroke that potentially could “chop out” hidden content probably was seen as less preferable than one that just disabled everything but left all the potential sync relationships alone.
If you just work on simple video and stereo content, just takes a few seconds to remap delete to being a distructive ripple like before.
FWIW.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Wrong forum. Thought it was the FCP X forum. ( After 5 years away from Legacy – I can hardly remember how Legacy operates even tho I spent nearly a decade of daily use!)
-
For the past year my editing life has been pretty much rock-solid.
All I want in 2017 is for that to continue.
My hardware and software was quick, stable and extremely dependable throughout 2016.
I’ve enjoyed concentrating on the work – rather than the tools. That’s been extremely satisfying. Yes, there were minor issues and occasional bugs particularly with the huge FCP X 10.3 update. – but they were all in the realm of “it could be better – but nothing’s broken for my workflow” stuff.” and I never stressed out about missing a deadline and was often able to take more time polishing the content and still have things ready to deliver early.
All in all 2016 was a really great work year.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
December 27, 2016 at 7:30 pm in reply to: At least one NLE is making great use of the new Touch Bar[Tero Ahlfors] “Would it be possible for you to address and write about the subject at hand instead of strawmanning each post you write?
“If you think I’m “strawmannirg” – feel free to make your counter-case right here in the thread in response – but I don’t get it. I felt qualified to weigh in on the thread exclusively because I’ve long pointed out a trend I’ve seen in discussions of FCP X and it’s associated tools.
I now think of it as the “Apple New Announcement Ready-Fire-Aim Syndrome.”
No matter WHAT they announce. Get up early so you can hear about why it’s CRAP before anyone else!
I think it’s useful to understand that’s a part of what happens no matter WHAT Apple announces – and if you don’t understand that – it can put an unnecessary barrier between yourself and tools that “might” help your editing.
I was lucky enough to have had near immediate access to the Touch Bar – on a optimized machine – and running software FCP X that I know extremely well. So I had a bit of useful personal experience to use in forming my early opinions about it. Plus that’s surely also colored by the fact that I truly enjoy editing in X – and this device has features to specifically enhance that – so I have a crystal clear bias. One that everybody here knows well and I presume takes into account.
However, I don’t OWN one the the new Touch Bar laptops, so I stopped writing opinions about it – not because I don’t have the opinions – but because I feel the people who USE the tools should be the ones telling other people how they work in the real world.
Sorry that my silly little post has annoyed you so. But pointing out how people tend to look for reasons to hate anything Apple creates (The Touch Bar of the thread topic being the latest and greatest example) – particularly when they haven’t yet really tried the thing they’re talking down – felt germane because it’s a recurring theme I’ve noticed about Apple announcements of the past decade.
That’s all.
Happy New Year.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
December 24, 2016 at 8:26 pm in reply to: At least one NLE is making great use of the new Touch BarOh god – I can’t even begin to conceive the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would occur if Apple ever decided that touchscreen computing was the future and stopped putting keyboards on stuff.
The internet would EXPLODE at apocolyptic proportions!
Screams of “AGAIN Apple shows it LOATHS professionals” would ring the planet as pundits weep in disgust and children wake up Christmas AM only to wail in despair at the keyboardless future forced upon them.
There would be roving bands of Rogue touch typists armed with flaming torches and barbed flails converging on Cupertino within minutes of the announcement.
Course if it’s Microsoft with a new Surface –
then it would be just “innovation” cuz…
well – largely cuz they’re not Apple.
Merry Christmas.
; )
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Honestly sorry to hear that, Michael.
That kind of family life stress is awful.
Hopefully the pain of the period that’s ending will be replaced as soon as it can be with new possibilities..
Take care.Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.