Forum Replies Created
-
Craig,
I totally get what you are saying (I’ve had similar discussions with others about this same topic) I just disagree with your underlying premise that customers will be okay with Apple buying Netflix and making it an solely iTunes-based service.
The iPod paved the way for the iTMS and the iPhone paved the way for the App Store. If the hardware wasn’t up to snuff the media/software sales side of things wouldn’t blossom. So the big question, in my mind, is how is Apple going to turn AppleTV into a must have piece of hardware?
We all agree that content is key for a video distribution service (and in Apple’s case AppleTV hardware sales) but content distributors and producers are 1. leery of Apple due to how Apple was able to corner the digital music market early (not to mention dictate terms to AT&T) and 2. times have changed since the iTMS launched. Companies now, by way of a free app, can reach users directly on mobile devices, home theater equipment and video game consoles.
That’s why I swung back around to Apple’s UI strength. AppleTV used to do something unique but it no longer does. Apple’s strength the past decade has to been to do what others have done but with better execution. If they can do that and offer more content (not even exclusive content) then I think they can wedge themselves into the living room on marketing and doing things just a little better, a little smoother, than the competition. Some sort of Siri-enable thing that helps you easily find and organize the content you are interested in and it of course ties in with the rest of your Apple devices.
Apple takes pride in their hardware and I can’t see them elevating AppleTV out of ‘hobby’ status until they think they have a game changing pice of hardware to sell.
-
[Craig Seeman] “Because you’re thinking about market share and Apple things about profits selling hardware.”
No, I am thinking about hardware sales and I don’t think Apple will sell a lot of hardware if their AppleTV ‘killer app’ is to buy Netflix, kill it, roll the former Netflix content into iTunes and launch their own Apple-branded subscription streaming service. Are all the customers that currently watch Netflix on non-Apple devices (which I’m going to guess is the vast majority of them) going to buy an Apple device and pay Apple a monthly fee to get back what Apple just took from them? I know everyone loves Apple right now but I just don’t see customers at large being happy and supportive that their once ubiquitous Netflix subscription is now an Apple only service.
I could see Apple paying big bucks for exclusive content and launching a Netflix rival service as a way to kick off a new and improved AppleTV but I don’t seem them acquiring Netflix and making it Apple only. I could also see making a refined voice and gesture based AppleTV that would let you just say, “I want to watch Breaking Bad” and Siri will respond, “Do you want to watch Breaking Bad using Netflix or Amazon?” Other devices, like the 360 w/Kinect, already let you search by voice and then choose which video service you want stream from but UI is Apple’s thing so I’m sure they will do what others have already done but a bit better.
-
[Neil Patience] “Progressive is not really superior but people like the look. Making video look like film has been somewhat of a holy grail over the years. “
I think what you are mentioning is more of frame rate thing than a progressive vs. interlaced thing. For example, I think 720p60 is better than 1080i60 for a few reasons but 720p60 looks nothing like 24p.
-
Don’t mess with the default sequence settings in FCP. Anything you do to deinteralce or convert your footage should be done outside of FCP.
-
[Craig Seeman] “You won’t see it on Android. You’d have no problem installing iTunes on Windows though. So to the extent you’ll need iOS vs Android, yet that would be exclusive but Mac vs Windows, that won’t be. Sharing will be through iCloud of course.”
I don’t follow. Netflix is available for WebOS, iOS, Android, PS3, 360, Wii/Wii U, HDTVs, Bluray players, via browser support on OS X, Windows and (unofficially) Linux as well as various media boxes (Roku, Seagate, WD, etc.,). If Apple buys Netflix and turns it into an Apple-only service (iTunes and/or apple hardware) I don’t see all those Netflix users coming along for the ride. Netflix is available on nearly 800 different devices and over 50% of Netflix traffic goes to video game consoles. That’s a whole lof of user base to piss off especially with Amazon and Verizon/Redbox waiting in the wings.
https://gigaom.com/video/netflix-by-the-numbers/
-
I’ve run into this problem a few times and it’s always come down to a corrupt clip. I used to get this all the time using a MOTO capture device and I think what happened was that frame rate metadata wasn’t properly written which would confuse FCP. The clip played back fine but anytime the clip was manipulated (edited, effect added, etc.,) the edit points with the clip itself would shift.
My fix was to open the clip in QT Pro 7 and export it same as source. Recapturing is another option but using QT is faster.
-
[julienne rathore] “I have removed the de-interlace video filter applied from the FCP effects from all clips and the footage is all slightly sharper (looking at it in fcp). It does not seem to be interlaced either. I do not completely understand.”
FCP will only display one video field in the Canvas window unless the Canvas window is set to 100%.
[julienne rathore] “Upon export the footage is most definitely interlaced and does not look good – looks much better with the de-interlaced filter on. But maybe there is a better way to de-interlace it? It remains true that in FCP the footage looks sharper (and does not appear to be interlaced) than with the filter on.
“
If you watched it on your computer the interlaced movie will look bad because computers by default cannot properly playback interlaced video.The benefits of progressive vs interlaced primarily happen during shooting. Shooting interlaced then deinterlacing in post will not yield the same results and could very easily result in footage that looks much worse than the interlaced source material. As others here have said, you should only deinterlace your material if you have a specific need to do so and you shouldn’t use FCP to do it (a program like Compressor will do a much better job).
For example, ff you are uploading a video to YouTube you should deinterlace your output because, like I said before, computers have problems playing back interlaced video. For a festival you should talk to the festival organizers and ask if they can properly project interlaced material. If so, just give them an interlaced copy of your movie as a properly displayed interlaced version of your movie will look better than a deinterlaced version.
-
[Craig Seeman] “iTunes is cross platform and the AppleTV is nominally as well. So Mac/iOS only has not been part of their business strategy.”
iTunes is cross platform because it allows more people to buy Apple hardware (iPods, iPads, iPhones & Apple TVs). How would Apple buying Netflix (which is already available on Apple devices) sell more Apple TVs unless Netflix becomes exclusive to Apple?
-
[Craig Seeman] “Unless Apple was just about to buy Netflix….
……
and with all those contracts start their subscription streaming service
…..
and dump the DVD/Blu-Ray rentals.Disruptive wouldn’t that be?”
Apple buys Netflix.
Apple makes it Mac/iOS only because there’s no way they will keep their ace-in-the-hole acquisition cross platform.
Adoption rate sucks because people are pissed that Netflix now requires an Apple device.
Amazon jumps for joy as former Netflix users flood over to Amazon Prime. -
[Bryan Singer] “All my files are rendered, in proper codecs (pro res), all my settings are correct (current settings, include audio video, make movie self contained NOT checked).”
Do you mean all of your timeline is rendered in ProRes or that all your files are ProRes and the timeline is rendered?
The only time I’ve had FCP export out a ‘full sized’ reference movie is when I’m using an inter frame codec such as HDV, XDCAM, etc.,.