Forum Replies Created
-
[Noah Kadner] “A lot of editors argue “Bins” are more appropriate than “Events.” And yet when was the last time you hung a strip of celluloid over a canvas bin? “Decades ago” or “never” are the most common answers. “
A bin, like a folder, is a container you put things in so putting virtual media in a virtual container is a an analogy that’s easy for most people to follow. Especially since folders, desktops, windows, etc., have been a part of the computing experience for decades now.
On the flip side, to most people an event is a thing that happens, not a place you store stuff. For example, I shot footage of an event and stored that footage in a bin. Computers don’t technically need virtual containers to hold virtual stuff so one could argue that the Events in X remove a layer of unnecessary abstraction tied to days-gone-by, but on the flip side why toss a way of approaching things that is already accepted and widely understood?
For example, X still uses things like sprocket holes and a razor blade icon because those bits of skeuomorphic UI design still effectively communicate the desired information to the user.
[Noah Kadner] “The real challenge/annoyance is that different applications use different terms to refer to essentially similar functionality and that’s confusing.”
Like ‘project’? 😉
-
Andrew Kimery
December 9, 2015 at 6:35 am in reply to: the Or Not debate…coming to a stage in Nashville[Bill Davis] “Andrew, I thought you were in LA.
This is happening in Nashville right?”
Yes to both points, but it’s the principle of the thing. 😉
-
[James Culbertson] “Next year perhaps a n(ewer)MP will be the high-end system you need to buy because it leap-frogs PCs.”
For MPs “next generation” might be more applicable since annual updates haven’t been a thing in 5 or 6 years. 😉
[Shawn Miller] “When was the last time that Apple produced a machine that could outperform a souped up PC (running Windows or Linux) though… maybe not since before the Pentium 1?”
Off the shelf PC from a vender like HP or Dell or an overclocked, water cooled, hot rod built in someone’s basement?
For less ‘exotic’ machines the old MPs would hold their own when they were new (though as James said PCs would update faster and the MP would get eclipsed after 6-12 months). For PCs that were packed to the gills with internal RAIDS, multiple GPUS, etc., the Mac hasn’t been able to compete toe-to-toe on that level since the they started cutting back the PCI slots 10-15yrs agod.
I think the single CPU in the nMP hamstrings it as the number of applications that really leverage GPUs is still relatively limited. Though I guess that’s the whole point of their Metal API.
-
Andrew Kimery
December 9, 2015 at 1:05 am in reply to: the Or Not debate…coming to a stage in NashvilleMan, I have like eleventy-billion posts in this forum and I don’t even get a courtesy invite? WTF? 😉
-
[Steve Connor] “Which is where the ability to “skim” ALL of your footage really helps.”
My current doc has around 120hrs of footage. Use the Skimmer still sounds sucky even if it less sucky that some other options. 😉
For me the best organization tools are some of the least sexy. Transcripts for interviews and fairly detailed logs for broll and verite footage. Skimming and/or using the Find command in a text document is still way faster than skimming through footage in the NLE. I’ve only had the pleasure of using ScriptSync in Avid on one project and it was amazing. I’ve been kicking the tires on SoundBite from Boris and it’s pretty good at finding the word(s) I’m searching for.
-
Tony,
I hope the screening the other day went well. I had to work late so wasn’t able to get to it.
[Tony West] “I worked on mine for 5 years. I had over 30 interviews in that time and I really relied on my notes in favorites, not only to find things quickly but just to remember what a person was talking about 3 or so years ago. Who said it best, interview 9 or 27”
I too have found that organization in docs seems less about getting ready to start editing and more about being able to find something 6, 8, 12 months down the road after all your initial familiarization with the material has faded away. The kicker, of course, is that inevitably what you thought you would need when you started isn’t what you actually need once you are deep in the edit so even the most steadfast attempts at organization and prior planning feel lacking.
-Andrew
-
I don’t think you can judge something to be a success or failure with stating what the barometer of success is. If Apple wanted to create an eye catching, quiet, small, desktop then I think you’d have to rate it as a success. Is it a financial success? Only the people at Apple know. Is it a success in the eyes of people that need/want a desktop with a lot of internal expandability? Probably not. But was Apple aiming the nMP at those users? Probably not.
Like pretty much all things Apple, they made what they wanted to make and customers can either take it or leave it.
With that being said, it is surprising how well the old MPs hold up which makes the ideal of coughing up top dollar for a machine that came out in 2013 even less appealing. Oddly enough waiting for the nMPs to come out is what got me to buy an ’09 MP as a ‘hold over’ machine and waiting for the new, new MP to come out might be what drives me to just buy more up grades for my old Mac Pro (or just bite the bullet and get a PC).
-
I didn’t mean search in bins, but to have your search results from the Find tool appear in a bin. For example, I can use markers to tag portions of multiple clips with the keywords “marching feet” and use the Find tool to find them all, but the results only show up in the Find tool. I’d like a “save results to bin” option so that I don’t have to repeatedly search for “marching feet” every time I need a shot of marching feet.
I agree that the concept of “tagging” footage isn’t new to X, but what is new is an increased ability/useability to organize via metadata as opposed to just the ‘physical’ location of a clip in a bin or in a timeline. PPro added this functionally with Search Bins, but as I mentioned before the search tool needs to be made more robust for he Search Bin feature to shine.
-
[Neil Goodman] “Make a marker on a clip in Avid – type your keyword Agressive in. Pull up the marker window – Boom – Keywords are right there. Click on one – its brings you right to the clip.”
In the current version of Avid MC (8.x) markers are searchable using the Find tool so you don’t even need to pull up the Marker window. A while back I worked on a doc and all the important info was generally in the file name, comment field, or marker so I would just type in the name of what I was looking for in the Find tool (i.e. “Bob Smith 1963” or “feet walking”) and get my clips that way. It got to the point where I didn’t need to venture into the bins themselves very often, I just did a keyword search for what I was looking for.
What Avid lacks though (unless this feature was just added) is being able to save your search results to a bin. PPro has this feature called “Search Bins” (you can set search parameters and all results will be copied into the bin) but the search tool needs to be much more robust to really make this feature shine.
-
[Herb Sevush] “I do remember “NLE shoot-outs” years ago where teams of editors using different NLE’s worked against the clock on the same project. These tests were as inconclusive and silly as they sound.”
The other variable is that NLEs don’t perform the same in all situations so even though NLE ABC might be really good in one scenario it might not be quite as good as NLE XYZ in a different scenario.
[Michael Gissing] “Redundant key strokes or excessive mouse movement are a pet peeve when it comes to software but often that changes with dedicated control hardware. I am far more likely to edit with Resolve than Pr now as I have the Tangent Wave controller. “
Yeah, once you get use a control surface for grading there is no going back. It’s the difference between playing a piano with both hands vs 1 finger.
On a similar note, I’ve largely retired the keyboard from my setup. In it’s place is a Logitech G13 game controller. It takes a bit to get dialed in, because you really start thinking about what shortcuts you use the most and why, but I love it. I’ve always been a custom keyboard layout guy though. I also use a 6 button programmable mouse so I only need the keyboard for text entry and not frequently used keyboard shortcuts. For a long time I used a Wacom but I gravitated back to mice a couple years ago (have a vertical mouse currently for ergonomics).
[Bill Davis] “Yes it’s a Rabbit hole to define.
But for me the change in productivity is clear and quite simple. “
This is probably the best description I’ve read about X in this regard. I know you’ve raised the same points many times before, but this seems the most concise and effectively illustrative of what you are trying to get across.