Forum Replies Created

Page 113 of 242
  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 8, 2013 at 1:25 am in reply to: Interesting little series…

    [Jeremy Garchow] “It’s an existential problem for your relationship with the software.”

    yes exactly – for anyone’s relationship with the software jeremy – why train yourself on software that is not being used by any employers, and that is not posted for any gigs.

    you understand that right? this isn’t a hobbyist pursuit, and there is a lot of software and training competing for finite time.

    Why learn quite non-standard, one off organisational editing software that has no professional benefit? that no houses are using and no jobs are posted for?

    Try and think about it clearly – how is that not an existential problem for this software?

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 8, 2013 at 12:42 am in reply to: Interesting little series…

    I think you misunderstand – let me make this more clear for you 🙂

    it is hard to justify the time and effort when there is no professional or financial reward – there are no jobs or freelance gigs posted for it.

    that is an existential problem for the software.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 7, 2013 at 10:09 pm in reply to: Interesting little series…

    [Bill Davis] “But the serious thing that many editors overlook is that the amount of visual material we have to deal with is INCREASING quite rapidly. The “pin it to the bulletin board” idea simply doesn’t work if you have tens of thousands of post cards. It’s simply impossible to resolve information within that large a database. So you MUST learn tools that solve those problems if you want to remain relevant in a future where restricting your view to ONE “bulletin board” manageable project might not be even possible in a media saturated future.
    “

    totally, totally valid counter, but tens of thousands is rather an outlier – also to my understanding the entire event and project library becomes increasingly sluggish at those loads in X – its been said on here a bit.

    In point of fact – the only editing system I know that flies at the kind of count is Avid.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • [Dennis Radeke] “Let me know what other questions people may have.”

    Reckon I’ll leave it to Chris!
    However: continuing to blankly say that shrink wrap software is more expensive than the cloud does not at all answer the specific issue of chris’s costs exploding by 300% as a result of Adobe’s decisions with regard to educational pricing. But I get that you basically can’t address or answer that.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 7, 2013 at 11:56 am in reply to: Interesting little series…

    [Charlie Austin] “tracks are annoying. To me. When I’m cutting”

    mmm. I see. A commonly held view amongst editors there. But do enjoy FCPX 🙂

    [Charlie Austin] “I need to be able quickly “mix” as i go along with a keystroke. Not grabbing keyframes”

    because keyframes are hard. I find they give very exact control to the roll off coming off b-roll into an IV – I don’t understand how people can just go with dissolves.
    I’m always using three keyframes at the break to bring the track down and then give it a long roll off into underscore. Dissolves don’t do it for me – never have.

    [Charlie Austin] “Because I use MB all the time.” – Don’t use it.”
    you really should try it (well if you could actually get it to function in X) – its indispensable sauce for spots. Don’t leave home without it.

    [Charlie Austin] “Meh. There are plenty of people getting paid to cut in X.”
    No Charles, there really aren’t.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 7, 2013 at 11:48 am in reply to: Interesting little series…

    [Sandeep Sajeev] “But characterising the underpinnings of X as being fundamentally dumb”

    absolutely not – there are tons of deeply smart things going on – I am only suggesting that opting for a non visual, non spatial semantic tagging pool for all your various video assets may in fact not be the most useful thing for an editor.
    That no matter how smart and well thought through the execution, it might have been a dumb decision to begin with.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Hi – sure,

    but with respect, and look – In my context – its a killer deal: I half feel like an idiot for doing the full plump on CS6 production premium – that said, I’m self employed, some part of my nature likes to know that the card is deposited in my back pocket – doing hire purchase, where the purchase doesn’t ever happen, strikes me as leery when it involves critical tools.

    that said – I still feel some lingering stupidity for not having jumped to the cloud off 5.5 production premium – as I say, I opted to pay one time for the tools contained in the CS6 offering – which are awesome.

    That said – with specific regard to Chris’s fundamental point about the nuking of the arrangements in place for educators – the sums he laid out – do you have a view?

    best regards,

    Aindreas

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 7, 2013 at 1:19 am in reply to: Interesting little series…

    [Jok Daniel] ” but is there any way to organize clips spatially in fcpx? In other NLEs, I like to use the layout of the clips in the bin for organizational and creative purposes, can I do that in fcpx?”

    Nope. one cramped Avid super bin/scrubbing exposure area.
    Apple, in their wisdom, decided to make editing a GTD (get things done) tagging application ala evernote say, with one exposing area for the keywords – clips and subclips are categorised into a semantic word tagging pool on the left event area, and tag queries are exposed, one at a time, at the event or keyword level, in the event browser on the right.

    it looks, and sounds, just super clever. It’s actually, possibly, fundamentally dumb with regard to an editor’s cognitive and spatial appraisal and understanding of the various assets, but Apple themselves felt very, very clever when they decided to do this.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 7, 2013 at 1:07 am in reply to: Interesting little series…

    [Charlie Austin] “But man, I started cutting a spot in Pr the other day and It was driving me crazy”

    what was the spot? I’m surprised to hear you casually recall bashing out paying jobs in PPro only days ago – you generally refer exclusively to X.
    Not calling wolf or anything just wondering 🙂

    [Charlie Austin] “Like change a clips volume? Fcp 7 and X hit CNTRL + or -. Pr? Head to the effects tab?! And the tracks. Not the fact it has tracks, but choosing mono, or stereo, or hybrid, and oops! my stereo clip is dual mono… so I need 2 mono tracks and I then need to figure out where to put them etc etc. “

    yes indeed Charles that is the common knowledge drum to beat on PPRo, even if one were to have just read about it and then regurgitate it
    – I’m going to be honest, it hasn’t tripped me up yet.

    [Charlie Austin] “And the tracks. Not the fact it has tracks, but choosing mono, or stereo, or hybrid, and oops! my stereo clip is dual mono…”

    again this feels like copypasta to me – I’ll tell you what PPro has Charlie – tracks – they are amazing.

    It’s just the best thing.

    [Charlie Austin] “The beauty of FCP “classic” is that you can do stuff in the timeline really easily. No opening tabs/bins/mixers whatever. And the same is true of X.”

    yes, I really do love working with audio in X, so.. as much as you are of course knee deep with audio in PPro – how about say breaking out the audio in X, and finding those lovely sync indicators? – because that leads to fun.

    Also – how is Magic Bullet working for you? for the last month or two?

    Because I use MB all the time.

    [Charlie Austin] “But once you get used to the timeline, (and I don’t mean that in a bad way)”

    there is no bad way – its a ridiculous timeline Charlie. Every single second of the day, it makes FCPX even more of a white elephant than it has been in paid editing for the last coming on two years.

    that is an empirically observable truth Charlie – because. there. are. no. jobs.

    sincerely tho – enjoy it all will 🙂 – please consider it a personal hobbyist pursuit.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 6, 2013 at 11:22 pm in reply to: Interesting little series…

    [Charlie Austin] ” I know you hate the timeline, but it’s really way closer to the “legacy” timeline than Avid or Pr.”

    Dear sweet god – Charlie man, with the best will in the world… how do you keep a straight face on that one?

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Page 113 of 242

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy