Forum Replies Created

Page 111 of 242
  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm in reply to: Editing Disconnected Audio

    I could be reading this wrong – but do you mean that any time you want to do this – you have to duplicate the audio?

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 9, 2013 at 5:12 pm in reply to: Interesting little series…

    oh dammit i’m terrible – sorry garchow.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 9, 2013 at 3:47 pm in reply to: Interesting little series…

    you made aggressive derogatory remarks abut people on the cow who had supported piops.

    in it you took to referring to them as the three blind mice. your language was very aggressive. the cow chose to delete that entry. I could see why.

    I’m sure you don’t remember this.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • [Sandeep Sajeev] “The bounce back is oddly very harsh.”

    they killed FCP studio, completely wrecked everyone’s head – and we will all see this software dead if it is the very last thing we do.

    – or something along those lines.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • [Herb Sevush] “I’ll bow to the wisdom of Aidnreas and ask “where are the job postings for this oh so popular application?”
    “

    hey – wait , just stop. – Herb come on – screw wisdom right in it’s face. I’m in this exclusively for Apple kicking.
    after the blade across 7 – it is the sport of kings.

    that said – X just is a dead letter outside the thunderdrome.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 9, 2013 at 12:30 am in reply to: Interesting little series…

    pretty detailed indeed 🙂 – but in general terms, spatially aided memory is basically true – as editors we are largely engaged in an associative memory recall process.

    the issue would be that apple thought the whole gig could be closed down to a locked event and viewer tagging process, with one set of tags to the left, and one single viewer for those tags. Apple might have actually miscued basic editing cognitive requirements here.

    Garchow scoffing aside – there might be some fundamental problems in X.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 9, 2013 at 12:01 am in reply to: Interesting little series…

    mmm. sure.

    just as an example – your three blind mice piece always stuck in my head.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 8, 2013 at 11:36 pm in reply to: Interesting little series…

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Here, have some more sauce.”

    gentle there Garchow – ala Tim’s admonition – ad hominem attacks are somewhat off the menu, and I am, as we speak, cutting a client piece late here.

    you really do run quite a line in overt agression when it suits you.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 8, 2013 at 11:29 pm in reply to: Interesting little series…

    [Sandeep Sajeev] “Keywording and Smart Collections help in rapidly organizing the material”

    that is the same as it ever was. One thing I find funny is this overemphasis on smart collections – a browser search on 7 presents a persistent bin containing the search query for instance. Although yes – it is a search return – it will not populate future similar items.

    And yes – ok – audio sync is nice, but to my understanding, X is not in a position to assemble a grab bag of multiple rushes and multiple wavs? Maybe thats out of date, but my understanding was that it was not pluraleyes.

    [Sandeep Sajeev] “I can also go through and stabilize certain shots that may need it,”
    again that seems tangential – and warp stabiliser beats it into a bloody pulp.

    [Sandeep Sajeev] “I can line up various takes in an Audition”
    the rippling effect on the timeline with multiple takes of different lengths seems extremely disadvantageous to me.

    [Sandeep Sajeev] “My take on spatial awareness in the NLE, is knowing where that clip you liked on that scrub through a couple of hours ago is. At least for me, sometimes it takes time for the significance of something to register. And it’s easier now to just tag something that’s not Key, but might be nice to work in maybe as a jump cut or an element comped in somewhere, and know where it is and be able to access it quickly.”

    ok – but this in no way answers the fact that you have exactly a one step process – footage to tags. you have an event and its viewer – you can open no bins, you can develop no familiarity with those bins, you cannot choose at certain points to arrange those bins of familiar material on a second screen.

    look – that is not old hat.

    Exactly all you have is an event with semantic sub tags – and a single event viewer for those keyword tags.

    As Bill rightly points out – there are limits to colour coded postcard bulletin boards.

    But (A): in personal experience with very contemporary footage volume workflows – we haven’t reached it.

    and (B): the absence of that intimate differentiated footage item awareness space (literally space) has costs.

    You have exactly two things: an event with keyword tags, and a viewer to view them in – one at a time.

    that feels highly restrictive.

    there are no multiple sites at once, there is no cross examination, there is no spatial recall – there are a lot of memory paths cut out there – a lot of what we do relies on us making spontaneous links at critical junctures, we need to reach somewhere to do that – is that a single list of semantic tags to click?
    half the reason why I, or anyone, has over-elaborate set up routines is to allow the possibility of that potential memory link to bed in.

    I literally over organise to get a pay off.

    X, in my view has cut beyond organisational fat into marrow – I need spatial stuff. I need places and other places where things once were.
    we virtualise clips into the select sequences anyway.

    the whole editing game, to some degree, is finding a way to allow associative recall at a critical juncture – sure aren’t all memory feats built on the construction of virtual rooms? Derren Brown is extremely interesting on that point. He constructs incredibly spatial memory awareness constructs to allow card count recall.
    Quite literally rooms with objects in them – its worth looking up. Spatial awareness constructs harness memory to an incredible degree.

    there is a reason editing systems have historically had rooms, and folders, and bins, and attics (seriously – think about that – classic lightworks had attics).

    but as the man says – I’m sure Apple felt very, very smart when they decided to do this tagging malarky. I’m just not sure they did their intellectual homework.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 8, 2013 at 10:38 pm in reply to: Interesting little series…

    but steve – I have some idea what I’m doing too – and I’ve got a decade and a half (sort of, he said brushing mograph and 3D eras under the rug)

    [Steve Connor] ” It certainly does it differently but it absolutely does not limit the edit process.”

    you can say it doesn’t – but your professional experience doesn’t exclusively validate your position.
    I’m looking at the exact same thing – and I really think it may have inherent cognitive limitations and drawbacks.

    our positions, as they say, differ.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Page 111 of 242

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy