Forum Replies Created

Page 108 of 242
  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm in reply to: Software and Trust: The Google Example

    if there’s one thing you can say about this forum, it is that it is pretty loud niche – pro and con.

    I don’t think, for instance, that Dennis Radeke thought he was going to end up being hauled over the coals for adobe educational pricing by educator representatives when he walked in. Dennis is very much, and really rather heartfelt, a dude – but this actually is a real debate forum. It’s probably useful that it’s loud.

    As long as there is light with the heat it’s not a bad idea to kick it around. ad utter infinitum.

    Or at least until NAB.

    At which point X may kind of expire as a notion for paid editing. God knows it’s been coming.

    (also feedly is the answer to reader, they are building a backend switchover they swear – I personally have well over a hundred reader feeds).

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • [Craig Seeman] ” I also suspect they wanted to get a way from a business model which gave them a big influx at the point of release and then a steady and possibly precipitous revenue decline until the next major upgrade was ready.

    With rental they probably have a steady revenue stream which funds R&D for upgrades.
    Given the necessity to keep subscribing for continued access to one’s projects, they may be able to anticipate growth outstripping drop off.

    “

    jesuitically speaking Craig – I wonder at your faith in the apple conglomerate.

    we are left in a puddle. The natural constraints that might have protected hardware or software concerns are largely gone.

    craft concerns are very exposed at the moment.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 19, 2013 at 2:13 am in reply to: Spatial awareness and memory recall

    all good – do you function primarily as a paid, client interacting editor Jeremy?

    it’s not a dig, i’m just asking.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 18, 2013 at 11:44 pm in reply to: Spatial awareness and memory recall

    the point here Bill, (such as it is), is that the whole basis for my post came directly from your analysis of the limitations of bulletin board picture postcards.

    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/49107

    You may be conditioned to the NLE equivalent of not being happy unless all your postcards are thumbtacked to a huge physical bulletin board so you can “visually locate” the ones with PINK in them. And that might have satisfied you in the past and you might be stuck thinking that taking away your ability to do the visual choice will impede your editing…. BUT….

    After learning X, you discover it’s trivial to just VISUALLY select every scene with PINK in it – and drop it in a PINK keyword collection.

    X is built around the idea that ANYONE can understand keystroking R then E – and before you even type anything else, you’re given an instant VISUAL view of every clip with PINK in it. So there’s no need to constantly search the HUGE visual field unless you elect to.

    But the serious thing that many editors overlook is that the amount of visual material we have to deal with is INCREASING quite rapidly. The “pin it to the bulletin board” idea simply doesn’t work if you have tens of thousands of post cards. It’s simply impossible to resolve information within that large a database. So you MUST learn tools that solve those problems if you want to remain relevant in a future where restricting your view to ONE “bulletin board” manageable project might not be even possible in a media saturated future.

    a great deal of what you say there is valid. In the end I’m not arguing at all, that X is essentially wrong in any sense, just that I believe an editing system, even one with a next generation footage system, should still take into account basic precepts of memory recall.

    Its not rocket science – being given the ability to ascertain multiple item groups in relation to each other is not a conceit – its basic stuff.

    Apple having locked the tag queries to a single, one at a time browser is, at the very least, open to question.

    come on – I basically proffered this thread to afford visibility – you simply can’t say as an editor that you don’t want, or need, the space to see two bins at once.

    It’s brass tacks Bill – isn’t it? Seriously?

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 16, 2013 at 9:48 pm in reply to: Spatial awareness and memory recall

    [Bill Davis] “it’s honestly from lack of craft, not from intent.
    “

    right. sure.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 16, 2013 at 12:10 am in reply to: Spatial awareness and memory recall

    [David Lawrence] “is when I need to rescue a scene and the perfect shot is something I remember but was shot with an entirely different purpose in mind.”

    yes exactly – Half the reason why I manhandle and re-order the footage items is to develop links in the head – physically shunting stuff around re-enforces it for me.

    Again – the tagging database system in X is quite brilliant and new – but I think, and some X proponents have said on this thread, that apple could probably introduce some spatial aspects without overly clouding the tagging metaphor.

    Its a question of how tight they want to hold onto the single brick interface. So far all they will allow are the kind of Huds you see for Red material.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 15, 2013 at 11:57 pm in reply to: Spatial awareness and memory recall

    [David Lawrence] “Everyone agrees that tag and database-driven organization is a powerful, useful tool. “

    yes completely. Mind you, he did call me “sir” somewhere in that morass of caps and invective, so thats something.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 15, 2013 at 12:57 pm in reply to: Spatial awareness and memory recall

    [Steve Connor] “YOU DON’T HAVE TO USE KEYWORDS.”

    there are only keywords steve. tagging ranges is the only organisational avenue available to you – I’m kind of surprised you haven’t realised this.

    [Steve Connor] “YOU CAN USE KEYWORDS IN ALMOST THE SAME WAY AS YOU USE BINS”

    no – its not a container, and objects can’t be physically moved to a new container or positioned within a container.
    You can go all caps til the cows come home. It is in no way a bin. Its a database keyword tag. Again – I’m kind of surprised you don’t see this.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    March 15, 2013 at 12:45 am in reply to: Spatial awareness and memory recall

    no – you’re totally right, look: basically, Apple could pretty much pull off whatever they feel with this software. Some of the stuff in X is unearthly.

    when I say spatial I mean spatial – bottom line it goes to (1)
    I would say that I could be hesitant about an editing system that does not allow physical spaces for video items to exist in comparison to each other.

    (2) is basically the provision of an avid super bin to my limited understanding – it’s a nice feature – but Avid also allows rampant physical locations by default.

    (3) is really just project view-ish.

    I haven’t a massive position on this – I think there are incredible smarts in X footage categorisation – what I’m really saying is that, in arguing it, I realised that my process involves a wind up that requires physical, iterative manipulation of the assets –
    in my context (not a rule) I think it plays into the ability to make associative recall at the business end?

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Page 108 of 242

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy