Our promotion department has an XServe RAID that was working well with a 2007 MacPro 8-core system.
This year they purchased a new Early 2009 MacPro and moved the Xserve to it. I’m now trying to figure out for them why the RAID speed is suddenly decreased. The system will capture SD and HD at ProRes datarates, but uncompressed 8 bit fails.
I’ve tried these things so far:
* Tried different copper cables.
* Switched in fiber optic in place of copper
* Tried a different Fibre Channel HBA
* Switched the HBA and RAID from automatic to 2Gb/s Point-to-Point (the top speed of the XServe RAID)
* Made sure Host Cache Flushing is off
* Reset the controllers in the XServe RAID
No matter what, AJA’s Kona system test gives me a write speed of around 200MB/s and read of around 170MB/s.
The RAID Admin does not report any drive problems, but I’m currently doing a reconditioning of the RAID to remap bad sectors. (I don’t trust “SMART” reports from hard drives)