Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › Workflow FCP 6 Combining .mov files with Pro Res and DVC PRO HD codecs

  • Workflow FCP 6 Combining .mov files with Pro Res and DVC PRO HD codecs

    Posted by Hil Goldberg on August 5, 2011 at 12:08 am

    Hi there,
    I am assembling a feature from shorts from a variety of filmmakers. I want to set up uniform delivery specs but cannot figure out what codec to tell everyone. Everything has been shot on HD, but with many different cameras. For example my project uses DVCPRO HD compression but another filmmaker wanted to deliver using Apple Pro Res. I’m editing using FCP 6.06

    My question is
    1) Can I combine quicktime files with multiple compressions into one FCP timeline and allow filmmakers to choose their own delivery compression as long as they deliver a .mov file?
    2) If it should be a uniform codec what specs would you recommend?
    3) If the answer is Pro Res, then how can you export a DVCPRO HD project using Pro Res without getting a prompt that says the codec isn’t found you need a hardware card?
    4) In order to avoid double compression on any of the short films, should I lay off an uncompressed final movie/ use uncompressed as the compression setting for the final assembly timeline?

    Thanks so much,
    hilary

    Will Mccord replied 15 years ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Hil Goldberg

    August 5, 2011 at 4:42 am

    I was able to answer question 3 through the forum, but would appreciate opinions on dvcpro hd vs pro res for a delivery codec. There will be about 20 or so films in total and I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

  • Chris Tompkins

    August 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm

    Prores is a cleaner codec. That being said, you will not gain anything by converting your DVCPROHD clips/finished movies to prores.

    Start with a Prores Sequence. Put it all in there, you can edit with realtime.

    Final full render.
    Export “Current Settings”

    Chris Tompkins
    Video Atlanta LLC

  • Hil Goldberg

    August 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm

    Thanks so much Chris.

  • Hil Goldberg

    August 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm

    Interesting question. I think I may need to inquire with all of the filmmakers prior to dictating universal specs. As it stands I can’t get a Pro Res sequence to work. I’m wondering if it is because of the different frame sizes of DVC PROHD and Pro Res or just my computer lacking certain hardware.
    I can transcode in Compressor but I don’t want to add extra processing to everyone’s films. Hmm…

  • Will Mccord

    September 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm

    hey hilary.

    what was the resolution of this? like you, i’m combining some short films on one sequence. three films were shot with the hvx200 and were edited with dvcprohd and two films were shot with the canon 7d and edited with apple prores.

    when i put them on one sequence, it looks fine but the computer constantly pauses with the dropped frame message.

    anyone have any solutions?

    thanks!
    will

  • Hil Goldberg

    September 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm

    Hi Will,

    I haven’t fully resolved aside from thinking that I will probably use Compressor for the DVC PRO HD footage since it is only one small section to convert. I’m still unable to create a sequence with Apple Pro Res in FCP as suggested earlier in the thread, but I am upgrading my old laptop as we speak. I’ll let you know if I have success once I get the new computer. We plan to finish in Pro Res.

    Thanks,
    Hilary

  • Will Mccord

    September 16, 2011 at 6:09 pm

    Yikes. I need to resolve this this week for a festival deadline. I tried using FCP’s media manager to convert the DVCPro footage to ProRes and that seems to work but it takes a lot of disk space. I was hoping there might be an easier solution. Anyway, good luck!

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy