Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro X Will a RAID 0 help me much with editing a big project?

• Will a RAID 0 help me much with editing a big project?

• Noam Osband

December 27, 2021 at 10:19 pm

I’m working on a film. Right now, there’s about 15 TB of data spread out over two different10 tb drives. I’m currently editing it on a late 2016 MBP using two standalone drives that are in an OWC drive dock (this one to be specific: https://tinyurl.com/h95perjx). I am wondering if it would be quicker if I went to RAID 0?

I’m not doing too much in the way of graphics or effects with this material. Right now, the two drives is fine speed wise, but if RAID 0 was going to make a real discirnible difference than I’d consider it since I’ll be working on this for another 4-5 months.

Thanks!

• Robert Olding

December 27, 2021 at 11:40 pm

I could be wrong but I don’t think you’ll notice the difference with a RAID 0 using that particular OWC device on your MBP. If you do decide to RAID the drives, be sure to have a backup. On a RAID 0 volume, if any of the drives fail, your data is lost and gone forever.

• Eric Santiago

December 28, 2021 at 2:19 am

In theory RAID 0 gives you better performance.

RAID 5 for redundancy.

The drives and setup you have might be stuck at base speed.

Doubt you will notice any speed diff.

• Doug Metz

January 11, 2022 at 7:38 pm

RAID 0 should be faster, as an individual standalone SATA III spinning disk will top out at about 150 MB/s.

HOWEVER – Setting up a RAID 0 with 2 drives in a toaster is BEGGING for disaster. Like, knocking on Disaster’s door with a giant hammer. Don’t do this.

I’d suggest investing in a new enclosure with at least 3 drives for a RAID 5 setup, and keep the original drives as backup.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy