Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe After Effects Expressions › What’s wrong with my script to enable layer styles?

  • What’s wrong with my script to enable layer styles?

    Posted by Xinlai Ni on September 15, 2009 at 6:10 pm

    Hi cows:
    I have a simple script to add a comp to a project, add a layer to the comp, then
    I attempted to add the “Inner Glow” layer style to the layer. But it doesn’t work –
    by doesn’t work I mean when you twirl down the layer properties, no layer styles
    were ever created.
    Basically what I wanted to do is to automate the menu action
    Layers > Layer Styles > Inner Glow.

    I opened the extended toolkit and watched the var values, the layerStyles variable
    has ‘enabled’ set to true, but its ‘selected’ is set to false, however I can’t
    do layerStyles.selected = true because
    “Cannot set selecred with this property because the property or a parent property
    is hidden”.

    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    {
    app.beginUndoGroup(“Test”);
    var proj = app.project;
    var projItems = proj.items;
    var comp = projItems.addComp(“foo”, 200, 200, 1, 5, 30);
    var layer1 = comp.layers.addSolid([0.5, 0, 0], “solid”, 200, 200, 1);
    var layerStyles = layer1.property(“Layer Styles”);
    var innerGlow = layerStyles.property(“Inner Glow”);
    alert(innerGlow.enabled);
    app.endUndoGroup();
    }

    Lloyd Alvarez replied 16 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Lloyd Alvarez

    November 2, 2009 at 11:48 pm

    You need to add the property first using the PropertyGroup addProperty() method

    -Lloyd

    app.project.item(index).layer(index).propertyGroupSpec.addProperty(name)

    https://aescripts.com

  • Tim Andrews

    January 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

    Although Lloyd’s reply is undoubtably correct, I still don’t understand how to implement “propertyGroupSpec.addProperty(name)”.
    I also fail to understand the Scripting Guide’s explanation of PropertyGroup.

    Although I want to enable ‘Glow’ (as the original poster had wanted), I am assuming the same concepts apply to, for example, setting the type of Light (Spot, Ambient etc) after adding a light using “.addLight”.

    I have searched widely for online explanations or scripts, but even terms like “propertyGroupSpec” only lead me back to the scipting guide.

    Can anyone point me to a page? Or provide some demonstration code.

    Many thanks.

  • Lloyd Alvarez

    January 17, 2010 at 2:12 pm

    Hi Tim,

    Unfortunately, in its current implementation, you can’t set a light type through scripting. If you’d like to understand more about scripting I am currently teaching a scripting course. You can find out more about it by going to aescripts

    -Lloyd

    https://aescripts.com

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy