Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro Vegas Pro 17 has stopped working

• Vegas Pro 17 has stopped working

Steve Rhoden updated 3 days, 16 hours ago 5 Members · 6 Posts
  • Doug Ray

May 1, 2021 at 3:20 pm

Problem: My Vegas 17 has suddenly stopped working. (I’ve used Vegas for years with no problem.) I’ve searched all the forums, and have researched the error code that appears. I contacted Magix support two weeks ago, but no help yet

About 3 seconds after clicking the Vegas icon to open an existing project, the “Vegas Pro has stopped working” box appears), and the project does not open. This is true of all existing projects.

Also: If I open a new (empty) project, the Vegas project screen does appear. However, it will not accept any project media, neither whether dragged into the project media box, on onto the timeline (the “cannot place” icon appears).

I have completely uninstalled the program, removed all Vegas-related files from my PC, and reinstalled – it still doesn’t work.

I’ve uninstalled Boris FX to be sure there’s no conflict there – But I still can’t open Vegas.

Following is the problem description that appears when I try to use Pro 17:

Application Name: VEGAS Pro

Application Version: Version 17.0 (Build 452)

Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xe06d7363)

Fault Module: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Address: 0x00007FFCCDC54B59

Fault Offset: 0x0000000000034B59

Fault Process Details

Process Path: C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 17.0\vegas170.exe

Process Version: Version 17.0 (Build 452)

Process Description: VEGAS Pro

Process Image Date: 2020-05-08 (Fri May 08) 17:08:36

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Intel i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz

Operating system: – Windows 10

Memory: – 32 GB

Graphics Card: – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Vegas program is loaded on internal SSD

• michael sharpe

May 1, 2021 at 10:59 pm

Howdy

Possibly Windows or another program auto updated and broke Vegas? I would check to see what has been installed on your PC about the same time Vegas wouldn’t function properly. It could be anything like a Codec update or your gpu driver update. If you are using your gpu in Vegas try disabling it to use the cpu instead as I sometimes have issues with that. If all that fails try installing it to a different HD? Try running Vegas in Windows Safe Mode (if it can) as maybe there is a driver conflict? Seems like it’s a Windows issue vs Vegas so check what Windows has updated and go back (Restore?). Check in Windows Event Log to see if there are any details re: Vegas at the time the event happens. Could de the SSD has an issue?

Good luck

• Blaine Witherow

May 12, 2021 at 2:54 am

The Windows Update 20H2 has for sure created problems for Vegas Pro 17 and 18. For me, I know it makes MTS video files unusable. If you have any MTS files in your project, you won’t be able to open it until Magix has an update to fix it. I do not know if the new build 455 addresses this or not. I rolled back my Windows Update, and then can work as before, for now. The Magix forum may be more current concerning this.

• Doug Ray

May 12, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Hi

On Vegas 17, the solution for me was to uninstall Security update KB5001330 (the update of April 14), and I’m back in business. In my case, I couldn’t open any project that included 5.1 surround sound, and couldn’t drop such a file into a new project. When I converted a clip to stereo, it worked fine – but of course I couldn’t convert five years’ of 5.1 clips.

The update uninstall is only required on 17 – There was no conflict with the update when I tried on 16.5 and earlier version.

However – Assuming that I had to prevent Windows from automatically updating again (in order to automatically replace the missing update), I did so, using the standard maximum pause (35 days). Is there any way to allow future updates to load, without loading the KB5001330? It probably isn’t a good idea to permanently stop getting all updates.

Thanks for your help.

• Bob Moyer

May 12, 2021 at 8:49 pm

I, too, had this problem. It seems as though if the updates are paused then ALL updates are paused. About 3 days after uninstalling that troublesome update, MS installed it again and caused the same problems all over again. But the good news is that Magix has released an update to VegasPro 17 (Build 455) that fixes everything. Check out: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-17-update-6-build-455–129067/

• Steve Rhoden

May 13, 2021 at 6:16 am

Doug Ray, if you are a serious editor/media creator who makes a living from your craft. My advise to you is to “permanently stop getting all updates“… Trust me on that one!

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy